Gen2 3.5 ICV replacement

SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Re: Gen2 3.5 ICV replacement

Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:45 pm

digger wrote:this iac valve is basically an electrically controlled air bleed.The motor operates in a series of graduations.
the plunger normally becomes clogged with oil and gases from the engine recirculation system.Remove the valve it will be gummed up.now clean it with SUBARU upper cylinder cleaner.it comes in an aerosol tin.respray until clean/also clean throttle butterly and inside manifold with tube supplied with tin.Some throttle butterflys get so bad it can make the throttle feel like its jammed or sticky to get off idle.The air being drawn past the butterfly (Base idle basically) at idle is critical.A faulty pcv valve or some other vacuum leak will trick the iac valve.does it have a faster idle speed when cold(valve working) if not its probably stuck.If you can get it buy some of that subaru cleaner .Amazing stuff.Used in subarus at every service to cure egr issues
My ICV was electrically dead...

Simon Bloomer
Jo
JohnD

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:13 pm

Greetings Gentlemen,

I have a problem with idling (1994 3.0 Pajero LWB) After an extended run the motor splutters, hunts a bit and eventually stalls. Is this an ICV fault or is there an alternative explanation?

Once things have cooled the problem is no longer apparent.

JohnD
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:27 pm

JohnD wrote:Greetings Gentlemen,

I have a problem with idling (1994 3.0 Pajero LWB) After an extended run the motor splutters, hunts a bit and eventually stalls. Is this an ICV fault or is there an alternative explanation?

Once things have cooled the problem is no longer apparent.

JohnD
check the basics first.

Air filter clean?
MAF plugged in and clean connectors?
make sure your coolant temp sensor (top of head close to thermostat housing) is properly seated.
check spark plug gaps and condition - i like to spray the plugs and wires clean with electro kleen and then spray with silicone spray to keep them free from moisture and easy to pull off.
check ICV connection is clean.

My bet would be that the MAF is going bad. What is your mileage? Sometimes cleaning with alcohol works.
Jo
JohannKoegelenberg

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi Guys

After many months of frustration I decided to replace my faulty ICV. It used to just randomly idle between a 100 and 1000rpm and then it would be fine for a while. I also had a problem when I used low range, after an hour or so in the dunes the revs would climb to about 3000rpm and not come down for at least a couple of days.

Last weekend it did it again, but this time the ICV died completely and I could not get it to idle below 2000rpm even with the idling screw completely closed.

Mitsu Paarden Eiland quoted R1600 and Tygerberg just over R2000 for the same part and the Eta was 5-6 weeks. I found a place called Sparxx Automotive in Brackenfell. They asked for my vin number and supplied the part for R850 incl. vat and it took a week. I was very surprised to see that it was a brand new Mitsubishi spare with the exact Mitsu part number on it.

Sparxx Automotive (PTY) LTD
Unit 1, Jay-Em Park
William Dabbs Street
Brackenfell, 7560
Western Cape, South Africa
Tel : +27 (21) 982 6811
Fax : +27 (21) 982 6598
Email : info@sparxxauto.com

I replaced the ICV, but the idling was still very high, @2000 rpm with the idling screw in the closed position. I was wandering if you had to have it electronically calibrated at the agents to get the idling right. Phoned Mitsu Paarden Eiland and spoke to a very helpfull frontman Darell. Only the CK models can be adjusted electronically.

On my car there was not enough slack on the trottle body cable. I removed the plastic engine cover, adjusted the slack on the cable and then played around with the idling screw until it started to settle just below a 1000rpm.

I also disconnected the battery for a couple of hours to reset the ECU. The ECU will take a while to settle and adjust to the new configuration.

Thank you Simon for your advise.

PS, I probably phoned 50 scrapyards and spares suppliers in searching for a second hand unit. They are as scarce as hen's teeth.

Johann
Fr
Francois caroline

1996 3.5 v6 DOHC

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi guys i have n 1996 3.5 v6 DOHC i have n problem when i start the car it making n noise ate the tail pyp and when i drive it then its making n backfire noise but i did check my coils and spark plugs and my petrol filter an pump and its all good and when it start making n back fire then engine light come on any ideas please help

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register