Traction Control warning light - 3.2 DiD

Bigwill
Vehicle: 2004 Pajero 3.2 DID SWB

Re: Traction Control warning light - 3.2 DiD

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Refer to my previous note regarding the problem with the traction control and skid control lights on and power loss.
Done some tests today and after running the car for about an hour or so on the highways around Jo'burg we managed to get the problem to come on without a trailer in tow. This happened whenever the engine was under high stress as on a uphill at highway speeds. Lift off and the lights go out again. But poor power and no automatic upshifts.
So I did the DIY diagnostic code scan and found code 43 which points at the Timing Control Valve.
Question: 1. Can this timing control valve be replaced without a major stripdown (and perhaps an overall) of the injection pump?
2. Can the MAP sensor perhaps also have something to do with this error code?

Willie from Jo'burg
White Gen 3 SWB Pajero 3.2 DID
Pa
Pajshekind

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Hello, I've had a similar problem on my 07 did, not a control valve thing but the ASC off thing...Can I suggest something which might be related. Check the little tube that runs from the MAP sensor to the manifold. It's divided into three parts, top part connecting to the MAP sensor is rubber. Middle portion is metal. Lower portion is again made of rubber. On my car the top portion had clamps to secure it, the bottom portion did not have 2 clamps to hold it tightly in place so it seemed to be slipping around a bit.

My car has 120k on the clock, what I found was that when the rubber gets hot it gets soft, I suspected that pressure was escaping from the bottom rubber portion around the area where the rubber meets the manifold MAP port so I had the rubber tube replaced and clamps put on to make sure it stays in place. Is been 1400km (thats 2 months in my world) since the last ASC, traction control light and limp mode. I've been gunning it on purpose up every hill I've come across in that time. I checked the MAP sensor and tube for carbon build up, it was fairly clean so I suppose you could do the same. In my simple analysis, if it came down to that silly little rubber tube I would blame it on bad design or simply a lack of two clamps in my case. I assume the design is the same in the gen 3 and early gen 4. It's possible that the design was updated as part of changes to the manifold design in later models (I read on the AUS forums) that the MAP port was moved to the top part of the manifold to try prevent it from getting blocked up by carbon in the lower manifold. That was actually my first reason for looking at the configuration of my car.thats when I first noticed the tube without clamps. Didn't think much of it until I checked it again when the ASC/TC thing happened again.

Note: I'm not a vehicle tech. I simply became obsessed when I started getting this annoying error. It could very well be a faulty MAP sensor when this happens with other cars but I admit that I do wonder whether the techs are also replacing the old rubber tubes during the procedure and potentially even putting clamps on thereby eradicating the symptoms.

Just a few thoughts, use em, don't use em.
KI
KINGAIR200

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi Rassie

Don't rule out the possibility of it being the diesel pump. I
had the same symptoms on my Paj with 84000 km on the clock. The dealer put the MUT diagnostic tool on and the fault code was TCV.(throttle control valve) The vehicle went to ALAN BLACK who are recomended by Mitsubishi S.A. and they confirmed that it was the pump. They did injectors and pump at a cost of R33000.
Bigwill

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Kingaiir200 wrote:
Don't rule out the possibility of it being the diesel pump. I
had the same symptoms on my Paj with 84000 km on the clock. The dealer put the MUT diagnostic tool on and the fault code was TCV.(throttle control valve) The vehicle went to ALAN BLACK who are recomended by Mitsubishi S.A. and they confirmed that it was the pump. They did injectors and pump at a cost of R33000.
Yes indeed. We've had AB confirming exactly the same problem with our car today. It seems that the traction and skid lights are only drawing your attention to the error codes logged by the ECU. Code 43 popped up and that points to the Timing Control Valve (TCV). The TCV can only be replaced together with a complete overall of the injection pump as it is inside the pump. The rebuild kit is quite expensive. See also my understanding of the TCV function in a later post.
Willie from Jo'burg
Sa
Saville

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:36 pm

HI Guys,
I also had the dash lights on followed by limp mode on my Paj07.
After some tests Mitsubishi replaced the Pressure boost sensor. this helped for about 400km.
I took it to a local guy in George who also suspected the pipe like PajSheKind wrote. He tested the rubbers, it was fine, and no holes in the metal pipe or blockages (tested with compressed air in water).
At the end he stuck a wirelike feeler gauge into the hole from the manifold. He found that that was almost completely blocked. he continued to clean the hole, and presto no more issues for about 5000km now.
I will have the manifold chemically cleaned on the next service, and hopefully the fault will stay away for a long time.

This is so cheap and easy to test, try it first before paying that much to the stealers!
By the way, it was the guy at Motobishi in George. Had great service from him.
Bigwill

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Yes I'm sure there could be various reasons for a car to enter into limp mode. The key question is, did you get an error code logged and what code was it. If it is code 43 I'm afraid your problem is inside the pump.
Willie from Jo'burg
Wi
Witwarm

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:15 pm

hi All,

My Gen 3 DID is doing the same, but without towing, sommer net on the open road, no uphill or nothing....
Only difference is, my vehicle does not lose power or go into limp. Is it possible that the throttle valve thingy may be the culprit??
Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:57 pm

I would check for error codes using a diagnostics tool.
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register