Best Oil for 3.2 DID

JD
JDV

Best Oil for 3.2 DID

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:23 pm

Always controversial but hope to get some intereting info on what the members think the best oil AND service interval on the diesel is (out of free-service) ?

Gerrit Loubser
Vehicle: 2003 Pajero Gen 3 DiD LWB A/T

Re: Best Oil for 3.2 DID

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:49 pm

You can't go far wrong with Caltex Delo 400. I am running using Mobil Delvac MX and am very happy. Both these oils are high performance oils developed for mixed petrol/diesel fleets. They are both 15W40 grade oils, but Delo 400 conforms to API CI-4+ as well as API SL requirements, while Delvac MX conforms to CI-4 and SL. Both exceed the requirements of the vehicle.

The Delvac MX is locally made, while I believe Delo 400 is imported these days. I find it quite difficult to get hold of Delo 400 in my neck of the woods these days.

The DiD runs a little quieter (less rattley) on the Delvac MX than on Delo 400. The local agents use the Delvac MX in the DiDs as well, not that that is necessarily a good reason.

I change the oil at 7500 km intervals. I feel that the 500ppm SA fuel still has sufficient sulphur content to warrant relatively frequent oil changes and also that more expensive synthetic oils will therefore be a waste. I am not able to ensure that the vehicle always runs on the 50ppm low sulphur fuel due to availability.
Gerrit Loubser Image

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 VX TD

2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T Gone & missed :-(

1999 Nissan Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T: Gone & missed :-(

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T: SOLD
JD
JDV

Re: Best Oil for 3.2 DID

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi Gerrit,
Thanks for info
What about the Shel Helix the agents use?

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register