4M41 DID head gasket replacement

Di
Dirty Boy

Re: 4M41 DID head gasket replacement

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Wilddog, I hate to be the pessimist but there could be an additional problem now that needs to be sorted before it gets very expensive.
If I understand your post properly, the oil in the coolant is ATF and not engine oil. This is due to a leak of the oil cooler which is housed in the bottom tank of the radiator. Am I correct ?
If this is the case, you may now have coolant in your gearbox. This could cause expensive damage.

PS: are you on the Wilddog Forum too?

Wi
Wilddog

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:01 am

Dirty Boy wrote:Wilddog, I hate to be the pessimist but there could be an additional problem now that needs to be sorted before it gets very expensive.
If I understand your post properly, the oil in the coolant is ATF and not engine oil. This is due to a leak of the oil cooler which is housed in the bottom tank of the radiator. Am I correct ?
If this is the case, you may now have coolant in your gearbox. This could cause expensive damage.

PS: are you on the Wilddog Forum too?
Hi, Yes Ive got that covered, already bought my gear oil and filter. Yes Im on wilddogs forum names Chilidog :D
Wi
Wilddog

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 am

I went to talk with the owner of Silvertons yesterday afternoon and explained the whole story. I was shocked at his response.

"I'm so sorry for all your trouble, we shouild have picked it up, Please bring the radiator in and after inspection and confirmation of leaking, I will buy you a brand new radiator"

I dropped it off this morning and await news.
Wi
Wilddog

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:15 pm

so I got a call. He says that the job was done back in February so He feels that its not his problem now. I explained that the car hasnt been anywhere due to the fact the head had to be pulled twice in-between renovating a house with two new bathrooms and a kitchen etc. He eventually caved and sounded a little peeved when he told me to come and collect a new radiator. :P
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:42 pm

I'm sure you can tolerate him being peeved!

I would heed the advice of changing the tranny's ATF now.
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
Wi
Wilddog

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Yeah! Im already over it! my friend has collected the new part, so by the time I sleep tonight My Paj will be sorted tranny oil and all.
an
andrew.ashton

Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:54 pm

So, in summary:

Silverton Radiators missed a transmission fluid leak in the internal heat exchanger. They should have picked this up in the pressure test either before or after after cleaning.
After agreeing that they did miss it / mess up they supplied a brand new radiator.

Not a bad outcome - recognising all the pain and strife you were subjected to. Probably the best that you could hope for.
Respect for Silvertons for meeting their part of the deal.

If you feel like being generous maybe you could tell us which branch so that others could support them?
an
andrew.ashton

Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:55 pm

So, in summary:

Silverton Radiators missed a transmission fluid leak in the internal heat exchanger. They should have picked this up in the pressure test either before or after cleaning.
After agreeing that they did miss it / mess up they supplied a brand new radiator.

Not a bad outcome - recognising all the pain and strife you were subjected to. Probably the best that you could hope for.

Respect for Silvertons for meeting their part of the deal.

If you feel like being generous maybe you could tell us which branch so that others could support them?
Wi
Wilddog

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:28 am

In hind sight, the radiator being the cause of much of my problems, a new replacement although generous and good customer service, It hardly scratches the surface of the costs incurred not to mention the inconvenience, But to be honest Im just relieved that we finally found the problem and I can start using the paj again. Silvertons (Strydom park, owners name is Rudi) could have made it difficult, they didnt so big up to them.
Co
Colin

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Good evening, having exactly the same problem, Silverton did a test and said the head gasket must be the problem.Was your
Head gasket blown.have pressure buildup in the cooling system then every other week the heat gauge will go up.

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register