Pedro the Pajeros’ 4M41 engine rebuild.

Nick Gibson
Vehicle: 2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB (AKA Pedro 2.0)

Re: Pedro the Pajeros’ 4M41 engine rebuild.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:49 pm

I need some advice, I am not sure how the running in process should happen with this rebuild. I have taken a 25km drive so far, not going over 2000rpm, but not sure how long I should 'Baby' her, I know a diesel likes to work but not rev. I have some 15w40 cheap midas special oil I am using for the first 1000km, then I will switch to delo400 and a filter change.

Any sage advice, info on the Web is a bit conflicting.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Nicholas Gibson

2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD Auto LWB
Mods:
ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 with EGT, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:02 pm

CONGRATS!!!!

Man I love that big 4pot diesel sound!

Congrats on the rebuild. She sounds beautifull!!!. How was the start up tailpipe side after a rebuild?

I have no idea on run in. I would say normal driving and not let it labour in any gear, but being an auto that should not be a hassle. Otherwise maybe not any big stressfull towing etc I would imagine for the first 1000 or so kms?

CATS
Ps - I still have a newish radiator if you want it? Will take pic and send to you if you want to have look. Only did about 4500kms so should be good for a few more years. Free to you if you want, for all the knowledge shared with this rebuild!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
Roelf_le_Roux

Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:39 am

Wow.... double Wow
I truly hope it will run perfectly.
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2001 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLS

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:02 am

Just drive as normal. I wouldn't even worry about the cheap oil break in.

Put delo 400 in and once warm give it some beans. Let it work hard but not rev high.
Marius Fourie
MY DIY WEBSITE
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
Nick Gibson

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:03 am

CATS wrote:CONGRATS!!!!

Man I love that big 4pot diesel sound!

Congrats on the rebuild. She sounds beautifull!!!. How was the start up tailpipe side after a rebuild?

I have no idea on run in. I would say normal driving and not let it labour in any gear, but being an auto that should not be a hassle. Otherwise maybe not any big stressfull towing etc I would imagine for the first 1000 or so kms?

CATS
Ps - I still have a newish radiator if you want it? Will take pic and send to you if you want to have look. Only did about 4500kms so should be good for a few more years. Free to you if you want, for all the knowledge shared with this rebuild!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Hi Cats, WOW!!
Man thank you so much for the really generous offer of the radiator! If you are really sure, I will gladly take you up on that really kind gesture as my current radiator has seen better days, and the top plastic inlet fitting has changed colour and composition due to age and heat (yellow from original black) and is brittle now.

Tailpipe: I really wish I had set up my camera to video the actual first startup; from online research I expected a huff, puff, cough and splutter due to low compression of the new rings on the newly honed cylinders, but she caught instantly on the first swing, I got such a fright that I switched her off again quickly!! There was a small plume of blueish smoke out the exhaust from the residual assembly oil on the pistons, rings & valves, but it cleared in a few seconds. No smoke at all now when she idles, which is great as before she had a smokey idle - I think my old engines valve stem seal were hard and letting oil past them

I will be driving her to work for the first time tomorrow, will keep everyone posted how it goes!

Thanks all for all the positive posts, motivation and tips; it really helped me push though and get her running again!
Nicholas Gibson

Mods:
ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 with EGT, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2001 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLS

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:15 am

don't drive it. Wait for that radiator. If you overheat that engine due to a dud radiator we will all cry.
Marius Fourie
MY DIY WEBSITE
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
Nick Gibson

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:19 am

4ePikanini wrote:Just drive as normal. I wouldn't even worry about the cheap oil break in.

Put delo 400 in and once warm give it some beans. Let it work hard but not rev high.
Thanks, those were my sentiments as well. Will give her the beans when warm on tonight's test drive.

Side note: I am using the Midas liquid Gold 15w40 for break in, which is a API CH-4 spec, not too bad I thought.
Capture.PNG
Midas Liquid Gold
It however loses viscosity when the engine is warm as my cold idle and warm idle oil pressures are different by about 1.5bar...Will change to DELO400 ASAP when engine is run in at 1000km interval..
Nicholas Gibson

Mods:

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:32 pm

Hats off to you Nick!

Hope the test run went well!

Maybe I missed it, but did you figure what the root cause was of the original failure?

Johan
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
tinsmith
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero SW

Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:29 pm

Nick

Like many guys, I've been following your rebuild very closely. Not only is your attention to detail is absolutely fantastic, but the little tricks you have used ( old monitor hooked up to a laptop) and the end result is well deserved.
I guess all that remains now is to go and play and enjoy the fruits of of your labour.
Roelf_le_Roux

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:19 am

Nick, please confirm that all is well with your sweated over engine. The longer you remain quiet, the more I worry. Almost like when my daughter is out on a date

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”