Pedro the Pajeros’ 4M41 engine rebuild.

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Re: Pedro the Pajeros’ 4M41 engine rebuild.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Well when mine cracked a piston it was not overheating at the time or after the event according to the Mitsu temp measure. But after the rebuild and overhaul of all anciliries(sp) and cooling system plus turbo service, and new head it started showing signs of getting hot under the collar. So was the chicken first or the egg? In hindsight I wish I did not redo everything in one go. Having done that made it almost impossible to start pinpointing a possible cause.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
Nick Gibson
Vehicle: 2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB (AKA Pedro 2.0)

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:07 am

CATS wrote:
Nick Gibson wrote:Hi guys, thanks for the concern, so far so good. The engine is running smoother now some 600km into the running in process, not such a lumpy idle due to the rings bedding in. I just heard from mds collivery that CATS donated radiator in arriving some time today! Super Stoked.
Great - Glad it made the trek down to you. I tried to pack it as safe as possible. Hopefully it is usable to you.

Please keep us updated on your Pedro's performance after the rebuild, specifically engine temp wise as well as oil usage, as these were the items that tripped up my rebuild when done by Alan Black. The oil usage initially could possibly be expected and the rest of my use was possibly when the oil was asked to work above its intended design parameters due to it getting warm when I hauled a load. The thing is I could never trace that getting warmer fault, no matter what I threw at it. Hence the basically new radiator which I sent down to you. REALLY hope yours is a long term success story!

Cheers

CATS
HI Cats. The Radiator arrived yesterday afternoon (-Thanks AGAIN!), I haven't had a chance to fit it yet - as it was our 2nd wedding anniversary yesterday so me tinkering on the pajero last night would not have gone down well with swambo...

I will also post my costs of the rebuild, I just need to find all the slips of the tool & engine part purchases and put into a spread sheet - with estimated time for every stage I did.

Engine performance. Oil usage has been remarkably low, it hasn't moved much from the level I filled it to, maybe 2-3mm if that?? EGT's have been slightly lower (380-400 @ 120Kph now, down from about 450-500) since I advanced the pump during the rebuild, but I do get a bit of startup knock now when when cold. I need to retard the pump a little again - I think the rings have bed in more now so the increased compression is increased causing the knock; I will do this when I do my 1000km oil change and tappet clearances. Engine temps, well they have been rock-steady as they were before the rebuild 80-85 normally - this is accurately known as I have monitored them by my MadMan, haven't been above 89 deg C since rebuild, I tested on a long up hill on the N7 past the weighbridge - this was when the engine was nice at operating temp, EGT's maxed out at 620 and engine temp at 89 Deg C at about 2900 RPM and 150Kph max speed at the top.

One thing I have not mentioned, is that most spare part places spec the wrong thermostat, the manual states a 76.5 Deg C unit and spares shops stock 82 Deg C units (which was supplied in the rebuild kit by alert engine parts). I have ordered the correct one, and am using my existing one till it arrives.

On the engine heat side of things, well I also have an ARB bumper - not the fancy one like CATS has though. I have monitored my coolant temp since I have had the Pajero, and have NEVER had high engine coolant temps, very rarely went over 90 Deg C, this with a big 2t trailer and 5 big chaps with kit going hunting through the Outeniqua mountain passes behind George to Uniondale, went to about 92 Deg C.

I will fit the Radiator tonight, will post pics in the morning.
Nicholas Gibson

2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD Auto LWB
Mods:
ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 with EGT, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen
Nick Gibson

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:25 am

Roelf_le_Roux wrote:Not really digressing. This wonderful rebuild was necessary because of over heating. In my mind is a cracked head and over heating a real chicken and egg scenario... which one happened first?
Not Digressing at all, I recon the low coolant alarm on my madman saved my from properly overheating my engine when the head cracked just past Robertson, and blew steam out exhaust. Engine re builders say that if I overheated the engine the head warps measurably, but it was perfectly straight & true with no distortion as measure with a straight edge... I recon my head cracked from old age.
Nicholas Gibson

Mods:
ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 with EGT, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

Roelf_le_Roux

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:30 am

Good news.
OK, so I will officially remove the ARB bumper from my suspect list.

BUT
If this was a TV detective series, the pretty detective will tell her rugged partner that two out of two is no coincidence.
fr
frankvroy

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi gents,

My first post. As an absolute non-mech I can only look at this rebuild in awe. Professional, meticulous project - well done!

Frank.
1997 Pajero SWB'Tuende' [Having spent a year in Kenya in '03. Tuende means "let's go!" in Swahili]. Sold after successful Pajero African safari from Pretoria to Uganda, around Lake Vic, back to Kenya, return to ZAF.
2003 Pajero SWB 'Vamos', bought Jan '15, 190k on clock. Spent '11 - '14 in Argentina, so Vamos of course means "let's go!" in español! Hoping to do trip to Tanz mid-16.
trekker1
Vehicle: Shogun. L149G. 1988. 2.5 tdi

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:56 am

Quote ....... "I recon my head cracked from old age".

Not from old age, if this were the case, then old stock would also be cracked without use.

I'm convinced, outside of cooling system failure, head failure is a consequence of temperature cycles, how many cold, hot, cold cycles the head is subject to.

So numerous short trips will see head cracks before fewer but longer distance trips over the same time, the latter having traveled a longer distance before failure.
Nick Gibson

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:33 am

trekker1 wrote:Quote ....... "I recon my head cracked from old age".

Not from old age, if this were the case, then old stock would also be cracked without use.

I'm convinced, outside of cooling system failure, head failure is a consequence of temperature cycles, how many cold, hot, cold cycles the head is subject to.

So numerous short trips will see head cracks before fewer but longer distance trips over the same time, the latter having traveled a longer distance before failure.
Agree, that is what I actually meant by saying age of the head.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Nicholas Gibson

Mods:

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

Nick Gibson

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:44 am

Time for an update...

I have just rebuilt my motor for the second time last week...

I had a minor piston siezure on number 1 and 2 cylinders, had to put a new piston set in and luckily the scoring on the bores wasn't so bad, I got away with a rehone of the bores.

According to the the engineering shop I had a heat siezure, basically a hot spot or airlock in the coolant around the 2 pistons which caused them to sieze and collapse. This was giving me a rapping noise in the block which turned out to be piston slap.

Will post some pictures when I am in front of my pc again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Nicholas Gibson

Mods:

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Eish!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
REAList
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 DID GLS Swb

Pedro the Pajeros’ 4M41 engine rebuild.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Nick,
How did you fill the engine with coolant?
And how does Factory do it.
Airlocks are a possibility.
I was very impressed with the way you managed this rebuild.
Very sorry to hear about this setback.
Regards
Johan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”