OBDII bluetooth/wi fi adapter to read fault codes etc on Pajero from 2007

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

OBDII bluetooth/wi fi adapter to read fault codes etc on Pajero from 2007

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:21 am

Ok. So since newer(gen4) Pajero's is a few years advanced over(gen3) Pajero's it has OBD2 compliant port. This unfortunately seems to indicate that one cannot do the diy fault code reading that one can do on a gen3 Pajero viewtopic.php?t=3193 .BUT it does mean that one can buy some cool OBD2 readers
Image from the net and read all types of info on your phone or other device using Bluetooth or Wifi on Apples, including fault codes. I bought a reader from a South African supplier as I did not want to wait for an ebay thingy to hang ages in customs. It worked out maybe slightly more expensive but was easy friendly and fast(next day delivery). I bought a more expensive unit (ELM327 Vgate BLUETOOTH MODEL
(ANDROID & WINDOWS))that switch itself off after a while when idle in order for it to be left plugged in. The cheaper versions do not have this option and drain your battery if left plugged in. All in with courier delivery it was around R500. I bought from this supplier

http://www.cardiagnostictools.co.za/

I then downloaded the free Torque app for my Android phone and started playing. I bought the pro version of the app for around R50 as I wanted to specifically monitor the gearbox temp and apparently this is only doable with that.

I read up a lot about the matter on the Pajero forum from the Ausie guys down under

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/sho ... hp?t=28002

There are 2 settings that are VERY important. One is a custom PID needed to read the transmission temp, otherwise it just mirrors the coolant temp reading, and the other is a communication setting otherwise the device itself actually cause a fault code in certain instances. Read the whole thread attached for those. Of course the device also enable one to clear fault codes so I believe is almost a necessity in today's advanced computer driven vehicles if you plan to go off the beaten track. Well that was one of my reasonings to spend the money and I am sticking to it. [http://www]

So far I love the extra info that one can display and read. It is truly amazing although a lot of it I don't yet understand. The main thing for me was a more accurate coolant temp reading and also the transmission temp especially when towing. Unfortunately it does not seem to support Exhaust Gas Temp EGT on my vehicle as that would have been an extra bonus.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
Roelf_le_Roux

Re: OBD2 bluetooth/wi fi adapter to read fault codes etc

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:40 am

Cats,

1) The link to the tool's website doesn't seem to work.
2) Any advice on how I should go about finding out if my V6 complies to OBD2.
3) Do you use your current smartphone, or is it possible to employ an older replaced smartphone without a simcard?
4) We eagerly await your feedback on gearbox temp behaviour.
CATS

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:29 pm

Roelf

Thanks. I fixed the link(I think) and it should work now.

Not sure how one can check if your car is compliant, but it should be OBD compliant from my understanding as basically all cars since 2007 seem to employ this standard.

Any old phone will work and you dont need a sim to be able to communicate with the device. You obviously need some way of data, either wi-fi or sim, to load the actual app initially. But from there it does not require a data connection to work.

So far gearbox temps are about 20deg cooler than engine coolant temp in normal use. Will check in December when I take on the upper Karoo and down the West Coast of SA with the Xplorer in tow what it does when worked hard.

CATS
Roelf_le_Roux

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks
Mi
MikeRo

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:12 pm

This looks amazing ..... I just placed my order :D
Roelf_le_Roux

Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:14 pm

"Amazing" is an understatement.

I'm just waiting for Cats' report back after his December trip.

My questions are really centered around the display device. How do you mount it, where, how hard is the battery drain??
CATS

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:59 pm

Roelf_le_Roux wrote:"Amazing" is an understatement.

I'm just waiting for Cats' report back after his December trip.

My questions are really centered around the display device. How do you mount it, where, how hard is the battery drain??
You can mount the display device anywhere. So far I have just left my phone in a spot in front of the speedo where it fits nice and snug but I plan to get a better cellphone mount to make it more sturdy.

Battery drain unfortunately is huge!! Also putting the phone in the windshield where it gets super heated does not help. I would say using this app over a longer time than say 2 hours would require some sort of battery plug in as well, otherwise it is just not gonna fly.

I have also now set up alarms to warn me when certain parameters are exceeded, like 100deg C heat on gearbox or engine coolant. Thus I dont need to actually keep an eye on it constantly as it will warn me when things are getting out of spec by sounding an audible alarm.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Roelf_le_Roux

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Quite right, my phone fits (oops fitted) snugly on top of steering between the gauges.

My need to watch tranny temps is gone, but I imagine engine coolant, oil temp and pressure and of course EGT are all now on the cards.
Lock
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 2002

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:50 pm

Thumbs up Roelf
Found the same spot for my phone when I use my mapping, or almost hands free phone calls!
If you can feel the grass between your toe's, your flying too low!
3.5 GLS F/LIF 1998 Lost to the x wife
3200 Tdi GSL 2001 Written off
3200 Di-D 5Dr A/T 2002 338 000 Sold
3500i A/T 5Dr 2001 Sold
3.2 Di-Dc GLS A/T 2008
Mi
MikeRo

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:15 am

Hi CATS

In the Aussie forum there is a reference to a 'network error' when both the the App and the engine are starting, and the solution was as follows:

When I did some reading online I discovered that it's an easy fix, you just have to change a setting in the Torque app from "automatic protocol" connect to some other one.

Did you find this setting? I cant find any obvious protocol settings in the Torque app at all?

Mike

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register