Early(2007-09) Gen4 cruising performance & fuel consumption

ko
kobus louw

Re: Early(2007-09) Gen4 cruising performance & fuel consumption

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi All, I am quite surprised about the heavy fuel consumption figures some of you are talking about.
I posted the following story on the 8th May this year:

https://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/view ... 609#p47609

and the figures I quoted there is not sucked out of my thumb.
The weight I was carrying,18 Springbok alone, was just over 400kg plus luggage and camping gear.
Since then I did another dune trip in the Namib, my 4th, and my vehicles performance was realy supurb.
In conclusion I can say that it was the money worth to do software mapping and to remove the cat converter.
Arnold at Mitsi Tech in Alberton is definitely the man to talk to.
His service is excellent and he will walk the extra mile for you, and even give you coffee :D
Happy 4x4-ing.

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:01 am

I have been doing a long process of elimination out of interest and in an effort to try to improve my vehicle compared to my previous gen3. I fitted an air filtration system restriction indicator to my vehicle as I believe in replacing the air cleaner element appropriately. The indicator increases incrementally on a scale as the restriction rises. As I was about to go away and tow this weekend for the first time in a fair time, I was going through the vehicle and noticed the filter indicator was approaching the limit. Looking at the filter it actually seemed fine but I changed it anyway. Once on the open road and on a long flat stretch, I was pleasantly surprised to see I was getting 9.5km/l (indicated) which I have never seen before. My point is keep an eye on the air filter - it obviously has a serious influence. I will however post over a longer distance.
MariusAnn
Vehicle: Pajero Gen4

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:49 pm

I have been following this thread for a while.
I had a Gen 3 which I sold with 243 000km on the clock, no problems, just wanted a newer shape.
Finally found a 2009 Gen 4 with 180000km on in good condition.
The performance was terrible compared to the Gen 3. I tried all the usual things with no results.
I then did a de-cat and free flow- I was impressed it really made a big difference.
It already had a chip (Kurt found it doing my dash fix) I had this remapped, MAS replaced, now I had hope!!
It really performed well but consumption was down. I took it back to the dyno tune shop for another try, they suggested a better air filter ( I live in a very dusty area) I have now done 2000km since and the performance is great, my consumption is staying around 9.6km/l. with short distance trips on a trip to OR Tambo 80km each way I got 11.1km/l on the display.
I am now very happy with the Gen 4, no dash rattles, good performance, good consumption...
Hope you all get it right.
peterpot

Re: Gen4 cruising performance & fuel consumption

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 pm

KurtG wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:16 am
Looking forward to a simple answer Peter, thanks for the effort you are putting in here
Eureka
(ie: I found it!)
peterpot

Re: Gen4 cruising performance & fuel consumption

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:33 pm

peterpot wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 pm
KurtG wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:16 am
Looking forward to a simple answer Peter, thanks for the effort you are putting in here
Eureka
(ie: I found it!)
No body interested?

Performance seems great, fuel consumption very good, tows well.
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:02 pm

Tell us Peter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:45 am

KurtG wrote:Tell us Peter!

Im also waiting with bated breath :-)

CATS

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
DU59
Vehicle: Pajero DID 3.2 LWB

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 am

MariusAnn wrote:I have been following this thread for a while.
I had a Gen 3 which I sold with 243 000km on the clock, no problems, just wanted a newer shape.
Finally found a 2009 Gen 4 with 180000km on in good condition.
The performance was terrible compared to the Gen 3. I tried all the usual things with no results.
I then did a de-cat and free flow- I was impressed it really made a big difference.
It already had a chip (Kurt found it doing my dash fix) I had this remapped, MAS replaced, now I had hope!!
It really performed well but consumption was down. I took it back to the dyno tune shop for another try, they suggested a better air filter ( I live in a very dusty area) I have now done 2000km since and the performance is great, my consumption is staying around 9.6km/l. with short distance trips on a trip to OR Tambo 80km each way I got 11.1km/l on the display.
I am now very happy with the Gen 4, no dash rattles, good performance, good consumption...
Hope you all get it right.
Hi Marius, what air filter did you install.

peterpot

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:08 pm

I thought that maybe you guys were hibernating already :lol:

Ok so we have some interest at last. I type slowly. Here goes.

Just to recap my vehicle a 2009 3.2 DID SWB, had 110 000 km when I got is 2 years ago and now is at 130 000km. In the 2 years I have checked and searched for the loss of torque (mainly) as compared to my Gen3 and some people were are of the opinion that they are just like that. No fault codes (note) and an excessive fuel consumption. With no fault codes being thrown out by the ECU I initially concentrated on mechanical issues / possible problems that would not be recognised by the ECU (turbo boost, fuel supply / restriction, SCV, and many, many more items). In a moment of weakness I even had a 73mm freeflow fitted. So having been through the normal / logical checks I decided to look further. In all this time I have been taking excessive flack / heckling and abuse from my son who is quite bright when it comes to diagnostics and complicated isues. He drives a Triton 2.5 which goes / tows like a train. Having driven my vehicle himself (but never towed which is when you really feel the lack of torque), he repeatedly told me "leave it alone, there is nothing wrong with it! You are getting all stressed, looking for something that does not exist!" Ja well I might be an old ...... but I know when something is not right and my vehicle was not right! This is my 3rd Pajero.

So having read an owner in Aussie's experience I thought I would try something. This owner had had problems with the MAF (mass air flow) sensor which is the sensor on top of the air filter that has two small screws and a small electrical plug that has 5 contacts. Now I had checked this item before, plus cleaned it without any success. It also has an air temperature sensor. What interested me in the Aussies comments was that his faulty MAF sensor was not picked up by the ECU (no fault codes). I remembered that at some stage of working on the vehicle I had left it unplugged and no ECL / check engine / or fault was recognized by the ECU. So Googling the item I see that the same MAF sensor is used by Mazda BT50, Jaguar, Suzuki, and 2.5 Triton!!!!! - "Hullo son can I borrow your MAF sensor"!!!! "what on earth for?" explain ,,,,,,,, and I get raised eyebrows! Well after arguing that if it were faulty the ECU would / should pick it up, he agreed (probably just to prove the old ......... wrong :mrgreen: .

So I was about to go down to Durban to fetch an offroad caravan I wanted to buy, and checked the oil. Out of habit I did a chick blotter test and the oil was heavily fuel diluted, so I did a quick oil change. I then set off for Durban and immediately noticed an improvement on the indicated fuel consumption. I was sticking to speed limits and averaged 10.6 km /L (calculated) which I had never ever got before. Now I am so chuffed and I cannot wait to hook the caravan and see how the vehicle tows. Man am I impressed. It towed like a 3.2 Pajero should. Now I get back and I tell him and can see by his reaction that he is skeptical. No problem to me then you keep that sensor then. He has been towing his race car to Swartkops and back and obviously did not seem to see a difference (the business fills his vehicle. So come Easter he and his friends go to Badplaas and he has his heavy camp trailer hooked. About midday I get a call. "i just want to thank you for the terrible performance I am getting on my bakkie. It is an absolute dog, tows terribly and is chewing fuel"! "Really? :lol: "

So after much banter to and fro I get a price from the agents wait for it R12 000!!!! I still think he had the wrong part or the whole air filter housing! So here we go on the internet. The Aussie guy had mentioned he got a Russian made one which gave a bad idle but much better performance. Now I have a serious dilemma. I found a local online supplier (Online carparts, cnr Malibongwe & Oliwenhoud, Randburg speak to Rasheed) and it is R1 700 - a far stretch from R12 000 for a sensor that can fit in your closed fist! So I send the driver and we get an unbranded box. I put it in at home ( wife uses the vehicle to get to work) and she gets home and suggests I take the vehicle for a drive. Now first thing it starts immediately not that it started badly before it just starts immediately now. I am not sure as I go around the block. On the weekend I go to Waverly via the freeway and can see it is even better than with my sons MAF sensor. I can predict that I will get an excellent fuel consumption now and it just feels so good now. If only I knew back then what I know now. I remember saying back in the beginning that it might turn out to be something so simple, ........ well maybe in a complicated way.
Happy, happy motoring guys. No, no remap. NO no. and no trade in for a newer higher output Pajero- well not for a while anyway! Now that I have sorted the Pajero out, I can spend all my free time sorting out the caravan!
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:31 am

Jeez Peter, well done for persevering and thanks for letting us know. Maybe you should import a stack of the sensors and sell them to Pajero owner’s who need it....

PS - I have seen a lot of posts on Facebook groups about this, so I’m not really that surprised that this was the problem.
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register