Early(2007-09) Gen4 cruising performance & fuel consumption

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Re: Early(2007-09) Gen4 cruising performance & fuel consumption

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:05 pm

As mentioned the thing that throws most people is the fact that it is not recognized as a fault by the ECU. If you monitor the faulty MAF sensor through the OBD / your phone app measuring the MAF air flow you can see it still gives a reading but it is obviously the wrong information and thus why the engine performs so badly.

I cannot wait to see the very best fuel consumption I can get now. I am hoping for / estimate according to what I saw on the computer around 11L/km.

Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:23 pm

Well done Peter! Some good work done here.

Could you do a dyno run and post the results?

Id be keen to see if there is an issue with my power levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Karl

peterpot

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Unfortunately I do not have a dyno at my disposal.
However, having experienced such a dramatic improvement and the relatively inexpensive item, I would highly recommend keeping a good one handy for the day when it starts playing up.
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:16 am

Thanks for the feedback Peter

It ties in with my experience where Mitsitech reckoned I need a new MAF sensor when I had the remap done at them. I was a bit sceptical as I too had no fault codes on the OBDII reader and could read the sensor, but they were adamant. After the remap it definately felt stronger and I always will wonder how much the MAF and how much the remap contributed.

I have since towed a lot and although I still think it is not at the same level of torque than my old gen3 manual it is still much better than initially.

By the way I fitted a second hand MAF which Arnold used as his tester unit. Cant recall cost.

Glad you are feeling better about the Pajero performance.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
stevedcp
Vehicle: pajero 3.2 swb 2009

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:57 am

Well I decided to clean my MAF sensor this weekend after reading the post, and wow, dont need the software anymore, thanks guys, did a quick run from alberton to jet park, 9.4l/100.
Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 am

peterpot wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:38 pm
Unfortunately I do not have a dyno at my disposal.
However, having experienced such a dramatic improvement and the relatively inexpensive item, I would highly recommend keeping a good one handy for the day when it starts playing up.
Hi Peter,

I experienced severe power loss due to a dirty MAF - See my posts here: https://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/view ... &hilit=maf

In the end, I just cleaned the MAF sensor with ElectroKleen. I first cleaned it according to some instructions I found, but that was just the temp sensor in the MAF, not the thin filaments which measure airflow. As you mentioned, the price from agents is insane... but it is identical to various other vehicles, and sells for much less! R2300 at Toyota.

I still feel that my Pajero is under performing (especially compared to my previous Gen 3). I wonder if all of the small mods (like exhaust, etc) have made a difference for you? Maybe because your MAF was suspect, all those mods didn't really have an effect since they were limited by the suspect MAF. Now that the MAF is fixed, you see those small gains too?

I might consider still replacing the MAF with a new one... It might be that mine is still not perfect after the clean.

Cheers,
Greg
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)
peterpot

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Howzit Greg. I tried cleaning my sensor repeatedly. When I tried my son's sensor there was a big improvement and an even bigger improvement when I put the new one in. I am dying to take it on a long run (without towing } to see exactly what sort of fuel consumption I can get.

As I said for the cost of R1700 and the assurance of having a spare should the one fitted act up is a small .
tr
trekker1

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 am

Really interesting that a deteriorated MAF does not show up on diagnostic tests. Imagine the perhaps hundreds of thirsty and poor performing MK4 are in daily use by owners unaware of the missing economy improvement for a hundred dollars or so. I guess that's the benefit for being a Club member.

How did the Ausy find this fault, and the others on fb ?

Good to read of "problem solved" rather than offset by mods.
peterpot

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:25 pm

The guy on the Aussie forum had been reading a post about what the air flow rate should be when watching with an OBD setup. When he watched his he got a totally different reading. So that's when he bought a cheap MAF sensor and fitted it and immediately saw an improvement but suffered a bad idle which he could also see on the OBD setup. He then put in a decent MAF sensor and everything became normal. All this and not a one murmur from the ECU!

And yes exactly my sentiments and why I am posting - how many owners are out there with faulty MAF sensors? The same sensor is fitted to Jaguar, Suzuki, Ford /Mazda BT50 and a lot of other vehicles.
deonengel
Vehicle: 2012 gen IV 3.2 did Exceed LWB

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:14 am

Hi guys, well, looking at these posts, as well as previous experience on my older gen 3? (03 model), I was suddenly faced with a similar problem! Firstly my engine management light came on intermittently, then, when on cruise control, the vehicle started 'searching' on a downhill. I opened the inlet? manifold and it was clean as a whistle (dissimilar to my previous paj). I unplugged the maf? sensor on the airbox and found no new errors. My assumption is, it can only be my maf sensor.... Still fantastic vehicles though. Any other things I could look at? Regards all
Sound advice, if you want to enter in a BBBEE business venture? Think twice! Make sure your i's are dotted and t's are crossed :ugeek:

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register