EGR Engine Light Pajero Gen 4

Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Re: EGR Engine Light Pajero Gen 4

Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:21 am

Hi,

I did quite a lot of reading, and saved some links.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/sho ... ostcount=5

When I do the mod, I'm planning to use a 3.9k resistor.

If the EGR error persists after the mod, it might mean that the EGR is stuck, but not in the "zero" or closed position. So it might need to be opened and cleaned and moved. Just a guess...

Cheers,
Greg

2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)
Johndg
Vehicle: 2004 3.8V6 SWB

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi Greg

We have already cleaned the EGR and no change. I checked the EGR position while driving using my Launch diagnoistic tool and its 39% open and does not move at all. its not stuck, its been cleaned thoroughly and moves manually.

I'm convinced that the stepper motor has died and its now sending an error code to the control unit. I'll confirm after we have done the mod this weekend. Hope it works!!!!

Regards,

JohnDG
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:14 pm

John

If it is stuck I think Greg is pointing to the fact that you would need to manually 'close' it and fo the mod, otherwise it will still throw an error. I think????.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
br
broitman

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:46 am

I had this problem last winter for a couple months, since I hoped it will fix on its own
But it did not
I went to a specialized shop in DieselOil electronics which maintains similar big 4 cylinders SUV engines
My Pajero 4 has also 215000km and regularly maintained
The mecanics told me they have two ways
1) clean the EGR system with their cleaning tool ( the dirt must be specially disposed of (cost about 200£) instead of a new EGR
2) since this was my first time alert, try a diesel additive like Bosch LiquiMoly, and run the engine at 3000/4000 RPM for 40 kilometers (cost 15£)

I tried second option as a starter, and wonderfully it succeeded : the mecanic said I should do this once every 10000km, until it works no more, than I can try solution 1, before changing the EGR

Here, if the EGR is not operational when the car is controlled every 2 years by the Administration , we cannot make it to the road

best regards

broit
Johndg

Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:21 pm

Hi Guys

We did the Resistor mod with a 4,7K mod as per the Aussie forum. The fault did not clear on its own so i cleared it with my Diagnostic tool and went on a long drive to get the Paj warmed up and no light. The next day my freind drove it to work and still no light. However, when he switched the ignition on again later the engine light returned even before starting the car and now it is permanently on.

I'm not sure if the EGR unit is in the closed position but when i read its position with diagnostics it says 0%. The only difference between My freinds Paj and the Paj in the Aussie forum is that my freinds EGR unit has broken completely and the Aussie guy could still read the signal from his EGR stepper motor. So perhaps the EGR valve is sending and error code to the ECU because it has failed its check on startup whereas the Aussie EGR passed the startup check but the signal during operation had to be confused.

Not sure what to do now but i can put the EGR in the closed position and try a 3,9K resistor tomorrow.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Johndg
CATS

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:27 pm

Eish.

Not good John. I have no advice but wish you luck in your quest and will fiollow your progress here.

By the way which tool do you use to read the EGR%? On my 2009 Did using a bluetooth OBDII reader and Torque app I always jyst get 0% on EGR. I assumed it just does not have a sensor for me to check? I have no engine fault code.

CATS

Johndg

Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:12 pm

Hello Cats

I am using a Launch Diagnostic X431. Its pretty good. The only reasonably priced unit i found that does diagnostics and level calibration on ABC suspension on my SL55. That's why I bought it but it works well on pajeros too.

It did give a value for the EGR valve before we did the resistor mod.

I'm gonna do some more checks tomorrow. I think we have to fool the ECU to accept that the EGR Stepper motor is functional during its pre start checks because that's where its going wrong. If your EGR stepper motor is still working then im sure that the resistor mod will fool the control unit enough to never open the EGR valve.

Regards,

JohnDG
Johndg

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi Guys

Just wanted to give an update.

After the resistor mod did not work, we realised that there was a problem with the stepper during the startup systems test. So we assumed that there must be a defective coil in the stepper motor that is not returning the correct resistance.

My friend's mechanic decided to open the stepper motor to inspect. Its a sealed unit but you can drill out the areas of the plastic that are welded together to open the unit. When he opened the unit he found that the unit had been opened before and was re sealed with some red sealant. There is a plate in front of the coils which was removed but the motor and coils were not removed from the opened plastic housing.

He inspected the coils and it looked dirty so he rinsed it out with petrol and allowed it to dry. The unit was assembled and re installed on the vehicle. We went for a drive and the engine light remained but went out after restarting. We removed the resistor mod and the engine light did not return. So the stepper motor is working now and there is still no engine light. The stepper motor uses a worm wheel to move the valve and it looks like dirt moved along this worm wheel to the travel sensor behind the stepper motor. The travel sensor could not send a signal to the ECU and this caused the error. I will try to open the unit again and post some pics.

My suggestion to anyone who is still using the EGR valve is to clean it regularly to prevent dirt entering the stepper motor. At least every 20 000Km. If you decide to block off the EGR at the exhaust, please clean out EGR valve when you're done.
We have blocked it off at the exhaust and the intake to ensure that it remains clean.

Regards,

JohnDG
mitsenoj
Vehicle: 2013 LWB 3.2 DiD

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi Cats - I get an EGR % using Torque
CATS wrote:Eish.

Not good John. I have no advice but wish you luck in your quest and will fiollow your progress here.

By the way which tool do you use to read the EGR%? On my 2009 Did using a bluetooth OBDII reader and Torque app I always jyst get 0% on EGR. I assumed it just does not have a sensor for me to check? I have no engine fault code.

CATS

Tim - Port Elizabeth
2000 Gen 3 3.2 DiD - LWB (Sold)
2013 Gen 4 3.2 DiD - LWB - Exceed
CATS

Re: RE: Re: EGR Engine Light Pajero Gen 4

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:38 pm

mitsenoj wrote:Hi Cats - I get an EGR % using Torque
I think it might be because mine is still 2009 model and yours is 2013. In 2010 they added some sensors and clever turbo to get a few more horses out of the old 4m41 engine, so suspect that is one of them.

Thanks for confirming that it is there on later models.

CATS

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register