EGR Engine Light Pajero Gen 4

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Re: EGR Engine Light Pajero Gen 4

Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:05 am

I now have this EGR error on my vehicle(2009 3.2 Did gen4) which throws a CEL with EGR code. No loss in performance but the engine run-on slightly everytime I switch it off. I noticed this a few days ago after arriving at the coast from the Highveld, but the CEL light only came on yesterday.

I have an egr blanking plate on the inlet side but not at the exhaust side. Have been running it for many moons with no fault code so suspect that the error might be related to the EGR stepper motor as above. Maybe I should have blocked it off at exhaust side as well to prevent clogging of the stepper motor.

For now I have just cleared the fault with my Torque app and bluetooth OBDII reader and has not returned but the run on is still there. I may remove the blanking plate to see if it makes a difference but not keen to start swinging spanners as yet on my holiday :-(

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
CATS

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:17 am

OK some feedback on this.

I had error code P2413 Powertrain Exhaust Gas Recirculation performance. This was when I was down at the coast on holiday. I cleared the fault a few times on drives but it always returned. No loss of engine performance, just a slight engine run-on at switch off and the check engine light. On my return trip I again cleared the fault at the start and since home at Highveld altitudes it has not returned and the car switch off with no run on. So definately linked to altitude and air pressure. I had an EGR blanking plate fitted on the inlet side some time ago so not sure if this could be the cause but I doubt it as I have visited the coast earlier the year with it also fitted and had no issues then.

What to do? Must I maybe clean the EGR stepper motor or something, even though the exhaust gas is blocked off it still is functioning so might be causing the error?

CATS

Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Watching this with interest... I need to clean my EGR almost every 10k kms, otherwise I get some strange rought/smooth/rough engine sounds at about 2000rpm and up....

I'm thinking I want to block of the EGR... Are all the jobs here DIY or did you get someone to do it for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Karl

CATS

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Tuinvurk

On my 2009 it is an easy enough thing to do diy if you can get a blanking plate from someone. Just loosen two nuts, slip in the blanking plate and all done. On my 2009 model it did not throw any CEL.

I did however encounter the issue as above so not sure if this is related. I have a plate just before the inlet so effectively after the EGR valve. I am planning to fit another before the valve just where it connects to the exhaust otlet to prevent gunk coming into the EGR part.

Who ckeaned your EGR valve and what was the cost? I want to also do this after I had the second plate made up somewhere.

CATS
Ps . I believe on the 2010 and newer models a blanking plate leads to CEL.

Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Both Mitspro and Mitsu Rivonia have cleaned it as part of the service they do.

Let me scratch around - I seem to recall there was a thread with instructions on how to do the blanking. Where did you get your plate?
Karl

CATS

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Tuinvurk

On thread 117 on this thread there are some photos on mine.
https://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6399

I got my plate from a member which I am not sure if he wants to be known on public forum, so maybe ask him by pm after I have pm'd his name to you.

CATS

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Howzit guys. No I would not mind Cats. A good deed is a good deed! Have you put yours in yet?

Here is how I do it. I make a template and I cut the blanking plates from thin galvanised sheet with tinsnips. I use the gasket from the flange as a template. It helps to drill the holes first otherwise if the drill bit snags it will either cut your hands to bits or destroy the plate you cut to size. So obviously it is the same size and shape, bolt holes etc as the gasket except the middle hole is not cut out.

The pictures are from a Gen3 we have in the workshop. You can fit a plate before the EGR valve or after or both. The Gen4 EGR system is water cooled so I prefer blanking both sides on Gen4 simply as a safety measure.
20170201_160817.jpg
Attachments
20170201_160916.jpg
CATS

Wed May 17, 2017 8:44 am

So I got this error code 2413 EGR performance error again a few days ago when my wife drove the car for a longish trip. No effect on engine performance or fuel consumption that I can see. Only the light. When she got back home I cleared the error code and have been driving a few days without it returning but I fear an EGR clean and possible stepper motor is on my horizon.

CATS

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Cats that seems to refer to an open circuit being identified by the ECU. Check the wiring and that all plugs are connected properly. You say your valve does not move at all? If the checks do not reveal anything it might then be the motor itself ie = "open circuit". Let me know if you need a hand.
Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 am

Hi,

I also had an intermittent CEL, which was due to the EGR (P2413), but now it is permanent. :(

I removed the EGR assembly, and it isn't very dirty. Some carbon and oil, but not really blocked. I cleaned it anyway, and removed the stepper motor. The actuator shaft moves freely, but looks a bit dirty.

So I think I might need to open up the stepper motor and clean it up, as per Johndg.

I also plan to test he EGR by doing this...
http://faq.out-club.ru/download/pajero_ ... 900ENG.HTM

Johndg - Where on the plastic did you drill to open up the motor?

Cheers,
Greg
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register