Pajero and Pajero Sport engines

DI
DID Man

Re: Pajero and Pajero Sport engines

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi Leon,

Thanks for the reply and your comments are noted. Comparing a petrol and a diesel is not really fair because the petrol will always be a more refined ride and have much more get up and go but without the diesel rattle.

I was hoping you had the 4 cylinder 3,2 diesel in the Pajero and could have compared them. That is really what I am trying to get my head around.

I am pleased that you think the PS suspension is good enough to do a 14 hour trip and not shake you to bits. We will also need to do 1 200km to the ECape from Jhb so that is good to know.
Do you know what suspension the Pajero has compared to the Sport?

I would think the PS could knock spots off the bakkie brigade especially in the soft sand with your diff locks. I don't want another bakkie, the SUV body shell is just so much more practical for us.

What consumption do you get with the 2.5 on a long trip at what average speed? If you are doing Komas Hochland to Jhb in 14 hours you are maintaining a good speed for sure.
We went hunting there once when I was a laaitie many years ago.

Thanks again for your reply.

Boet.

Na
Namboer

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:57 am

DiD Man, granted, one can not make a direct comparison - my opinion is mainly based on my experience with my first Pajero, which I drove for 16 years. My main impression of the brand is its reliability and off road capability. No breakdowns and no repairs, other than the normal service items. I farmed for a while with the 3.5 SWB and twice a month would take 600 / 700 kg of cattle lick up the most inhospitable mountains in the Khomas Hochland - other well known brand 4x4 bakkies struggled to compete.
I can however tell you that the PS does give a very pleasant drive on and off road - it does not feel like a bakkie at all...
Fuel consumption at 130 on the speedo (gps around 125) is around 9.5 to 10 ltr per 100 km. It is no slouch either, and overtakes with ease at this speed. Wind and road noise is minimal. I feel that I will drive this one for a long time too.
DI
DID Man

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:43 am

Thank you Leon,

One last question, do you think the PS's bakkie type suspension would have managed the difficult terrain to drop the licks as well as the Pajero did or is the Pajero really superior in this aspect?

I do understand that the more travel is always an advantage but is this a huge difference or can you get by with a PS?

Cheers. Boet.
Na
Namboer

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:36 am

DID Man wrote:Thank you Leon,

One last question, do you think the PS's bakkie type suspension would have managed the difficult terrain to drop the licks as well as the Pajero did or is the Pajero really superior in this aspect?

I do understand that the more travel is always an advantage but is this a huge difference or can you get by with a PS?

Cheers. Boet.
The PS has a ladder frame chassis and is far more robust/stronger than the Pajero and with lift spacers and airlifters will do better than the Pajero in terms of carrying capacity . It is equal to the Pajero offroad.
Just buy it - you will not be sorry...
DI
DID Man

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:39 am

Hi Leon,

Thank you so much for your information. One can be misled by sales people who give you the sales pitch straight from a brochure but actually have no real life experience and have probably never even driven the vehicle offroad.

I am waiting on the outcome of a deal on another vehicle I am selling and then I will have to decide what vehicle I will replace it with.

Enjoy your time in GP and have a safe trip back to Namibia.

Cheers, Boet.
Sh
ShawnE

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:03 am

DID Man, just my 5c worth, I drove a 3.2 DID Sport for 3 years and sold it and bought a Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS LWB. I simply loved my Sport, The drive was solid but comfortable, Fuel consumption was fair and off-road capability was according to me exceptional. My opinion of the Sport is that it is a very very awesome vehicle for the money you spend. Personally, I will rather buy a Sport than the old shape Fortuner. I only sold it because I stumbled upon this very well looked after Pajero and because I just love the look of the Pajero couldn’t resist doing the deal. I am equally happy with the Pajero, the ride is exceptional, and the space in the vehicle is in one word ginormous. One negative on the Pajero is there seem to be more rattles than the Sport, but am slowly but surely winning them and if all else fails you have a monster of a Rockford sound system that will outplay any rattle. Just take the leap and purchase any one of the Pajeros. The Sport is great!!!! I would have preferred a 5 speed box in the 3.2 but the 2.5 DiD comes with a 5 speed box. The Pajero is an awesome vehicle. You will not regret buying any one of these vehicles. Just buy and enjoy!
pe
peter.thorpe

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:45 am

I bought my 2.5 Sport new in 2014. It's an amazing vehicle (can go anywhere a standard Pajero can go). It is hugely spacious, especially with the 3rd row of seats removed. I have done 35000km in mine all over South Africa on some VERY challenging tracks in the bush, as well as the dunes in the Kgalagadi. Never let me down, although some of the finishes are iffy (vinyl where there should be leather) & it is fitted with some waste of money gadgetry that is not very accurate (the compass, for instance; & the rain sensing wipers). The latest upgrade comes with useful stuff such as All Terrain tyres, roof rack, rock sliders, etc, but still no dual battery set-up. That is something I installed. Regarding the suspension this is no leaf-sprung bakkie; it's a coil setup with best articulation in it's class. Remember that in 2014 it was voted by several magazines as the best vehicle in its class, beating the Fortuner hands-down. Engines are powerful, but not very refined (noisy for a common-rail set up). They suffer from turbo lag under 1200 RPM & black smoke from the exhaust on acceleration (something MItsubishi are aware of). Fuel consumption at a steady 115 km/h is in the region of 8.5l/100km. Once over 120 fuel consumption increases dramatically, though. It's an excellent vehicle, but no perfect in every aspect. The new model is expected here in 2017.
Gareth O
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 2.5D 4x4 AT 2015

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:17 am

I have the Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 auto - about 2 years old now. It's an absolutely fantastic car and I far prefer it to my wife's Fortuner. Goes anywhere my Landy defender used to. No problems whatsoever yet (40K km done). Very capable off-road and very comfortable on-road.

IMHO its the best value-for-money 4x4.

Only gripes: heavier than expected fuel consumption around town (I get about 12L/100km around town, and 9L/100Km on open road), and a bit sluggish from pull-off until the turbo kicks in.

Great car. If I had to choose between a 2nd hand Pajero or a new Pajero Sport I'd take the latter.

HTH...
Fo
Forest Fab

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:39 am

Hi DID Man, I've added some answers, but I stand corrected as I don't speak from experience on these specific two models :oops:
DID Man wrote:Hi Guys,

1. Can you give me some advice please. I am considering buying a Pajero and am somewhat confused by the many options available.
Starting with the engines, I would like a diesel and have seen 3,2 4 cylinder 120 and 144KW options, a 2,5 and also a 3.2 5 cylinder options in 2013/2014 models with very low km on the clock.
No 5 cylinders, they are all 4 cylinders. Outputs differ thanks to the addition of common rail.

DID Man wrote:3. I hear the current Sport model is to be discontinued shortly? Is this correct? I guess this will affect the resale value but I am not planning to sell it again soon, this will be my last 4x4 (I hope!)
It will be replaced by a new model, that has been delayed in South Africa. It's been discussed on another topic, sorry I can't remember where.
DID Man wrote:Hi Cats,

Another concern is the availability of spare parts for all these different models in the future and the costs. It stands to reason that if you there were only very low volumes of a model sold how can the importers be expected to keep spares for them and when they do they can charge what they like for a part and you have no choice but to pay.

This is what Mitsubishi does in most cases anyways, no matter if it's a popular model or not... Parts are expensive and you need to wait for most of them to arrive from Japan.
DID Man wrote:...

Do you know what suspension the Pajero has compared to the Sport?

The Pajero has an independent front and rear suspension, the Sport has got a solid rear axle (coil sprung I'm assuming?)

Now for my opinion: I prefer the looks of the Pajero. The current Sport has a bit of a sad face, but the upcoming new model is horrible (again, my opinion).
But the Sport is I believe an awesome value for money, and I would fancy one if I could afford it!

And make it look like that:
8-)

Good luck with your decision.
Fab.
la
larry007

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:10 pm

DID Man wrote:Thank you Leon,

Cheers. Boet.
Just something to keep in mind. I don't know how much gravel road you intend for the vehicle, but the Pajero gen3/4 is just so much more refined with its full independent suspension vs solid rear axle. I drive a gen2 and my buddy gen3, and seriously, traveling on gravel, corrugations or potholes, there is no comparison!!! And the one thing everyone will attest to, is a Pajero is solid and somewhat over engineered - dunno about the PS. If you sway towards economy, and if comfort and space isn't that important, them go for the PS.

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register