Pajero and Pajero Sport engines

DI
DID Man

Pajero and Pajero Sport engines

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi Guys,

1. Can you give me some advice please. I am considering buying a Pajero and am somewhat confused by the many options available.
Starting with the engines, I would like a diesel and have seen 3,2 4 cylinder 120 and 144KW options, a 2,5 and also a 3.2 5 cylinder options in 2013/2014 models with very low km on the clock.

What should I go for, given that ultimate power is not the main factor. I have been happy with a 2.8 Isuzu with 74 KW and a 120KW 1HDT Cruiser up to now. I want the most reliable option if there is one in the Pajero range.

2. I have been looking at the Sport because the pricing is a lot better than the real Pajero models. is this a mistake? What are the main differences and is the Sport not a good option? Why is it SO much less expensive for what looks like almost the same package?

3 I hear the current Sport model is to be discontinued shortly? Is this correct? I guess this will affect the resale value but I am not planning to sell it again soon, this will be my last 4x4 (I hope!)

4. I want to use the vehicle mostly for overlanding and going to the game parks for my wife and I so size is important and I will not be towing a trailer when overlanding. What does not fit inside does not go with. 4x4 is essential and diff locks a bonus but fancy computer controlled traction control for snow/mud/whatever is not a requirement at all.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions but do not want to buy the "wrong" model if there are any to avoid like some of the Cruisers.

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Re: Pajero and Pajero Sport engines

Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:44 pm

I dont know the later 2.5 diesel models in the Pajeeo Sport but the 4 cyl 3.2 engine used in the earlier Pajero Sport and in the normal Pajero, pre common rail and common rail, as well as the first Tritons, are all the same block 4m41 engine, which is an evolvement of the previous 2.8 4m40. The 3.2 diesel 4m41 is a very robust engine although not as modern as some of its competitors.

The Pajero is a total different animal than the Pajero Sport, the Pajero being a much more refined vehicle and offer a bit more space. The Pajero Sport is based on the Triton bakkie base so utilise a ladder frame chassis where Pajero from 2000 use a monocoque body. Pajero also utilise a more refined gearbox than the Sport.

The current shape Pajero Sport is on its last run and you can buy some serious good deals on the outgoing model.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
DI
DID Man

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:02 am

Hi Cats,

Thank you for your reply.

I guess the real question is what would you buy with around R300K to spend, an older Prajero or a much newer Sport with low mileage? They have reduced the price of the last stock of the Sports by so much that buying a used one hardly seems worth it but I guess it is all relative because this will reduce the resale value when you want to sell again.

Another concern is the availability of spare parts for all these different models in the future and the costs. It stands to reason that if you there were only very low volumes of a model sold how can the importers be expected to keep spares for them and when they do they can charge what they like for a part and you have no choice but to pay.

Much like with cars where Renault Citroen Peugeot etc that are loaded with features and look like great buys but then have pathetic resale value when you want to sell because everyone knows they are totally uneconomical to repair when they break.

At the end of the day it all comes down to choosing between what you would like and what logic screams you should buy.
Roelf_le_Roux

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:07 pm

On the resale topic. A few years ago I compared Jeep GC, Disco3, Prado, Pajero and VW Treg. I found Pajero second best, after Prado. They were followed by the VW and far behind came the Jeep and Disco.
DI
DID Man

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:32 am

Hi Roelf,

Toyota will always be on the top of the heap when it comes to resale value and this should be acknowledged given their past well earned track record.

I don't know a lot about the Pajero reliability and this is why I am asking the questions. I see you do not include Ford in your comparison? They seem to be holding up well with low failures related to their very high sales volumes.

I will never buy a LR product after all the reported broken cranks and them not accepting responsibility for a bad engine. I am no longer a VW/Audi fan so I would never consider any of their products ever again given Audi's arrogant customer service attitude.

I agree with you that the Pajero product is far superior vehicle to a Jeep GC.

So for me it is a two horse race and the burning question is how committed the distributors of Mitsubishi are to the SA market? I wish I lived in Aus where the 4x4 market segment is so much bigger than here.
Roelf_le_Roux

Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:53 pm

I didn't include Ford, because they don't have a Pajero equivalent. The Everest is a "happy bakkie", just like the Pajero Sport.
Ge
Gert Kruger

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:30 am

And I must say, I am very happy with my Pajero Sport. I dont intend going up Killomanjaro, so for the type of 4x4 Im going to do, the Sport is 100%
Na
Namboer

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 am

Gert Kruger wrote:And I must say, I am very happy with my Pajero Sport. I dont intend going up Killomanjaro, so for the type of 4x4 Im going to do, the Sport is 100%
I fully agree - although it will almost get you to the top of Killimanjaro if you are a half competent driver...
Had the unichip fitted last week and it now goes like a rocket - making over 500 nm....
DI
DID Man

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Gert,

Never say never, with the right group the Kili trip must be an absolutely awesome experience and has always been a dream of mine to do one day. I am worried though that we have left it too late and Africa has changed a lot.

Leon I see that you have/had a Gen 4 and a Sport. What motor does your Pajero have and have you had any problems with it?

Can you please give us a comparison between the two vehicles (pre chipping please because this would not be a valid comparison now). I realize the Pajero is a much older model.

I am continuously being told what a world of difference there is between the two and would like to know where the Sport comes up short when you drive the two vehicles?
What is so much better on the Pajero?

Thanks.
Na
Namboer

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:57 pm

DiD Man, I drove the gen 2 3.5 for 250,000 km, and she is now doing duty on a game farm, teaching a sixteen year old how to drive in Namibia's hochland. She will always be the best car I ever drove - finish en klaar !
My wife has the 2010 gen 4 3.8 petrol and I drive the 2015 Pajero Sport 2.5. She drives it like a sports car... just because it behaves like one !!
The Pajero is obviously more refined and does give a more civilised ride. However, the PS is just as capable offroad and does behave pleasantly on blacktop roads. I have been down the Omaruru river 2 weeks ago (some 80 km of heavy river sand driving). None of the Toyota d4ds or Ford 3.2s could outperform the PS. I just arrived in JHB last evening from Whoek wit the PS - a 14 hour drive. It was a pleasant drive which I will gladly do back to Whoek by next weekend.
Hope this helps....

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register