Smoking Gen 2

ma
mario.fredericks

Smoking Gen 2

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Good day all...

I am sitting with a very sad issue regarding my 1992 Gen 2 3l V6.

I got the vehicle back in January after the motor was done over. Resleeved bottom end and two new cylinder heads and new pumps and everything.

Driving her home on the freeway, after 5 minutes she started bellowing white smoke out of the exhaust. I phoned the maccie and he said bring her back. She stopped smoking after a few minutes driving and then 5 minutes later, smoke bellowing out the exhaust again. I drove on and it stopped and then after a few minutes, it happened again.

No brake fluid loss... No oil loss... No water loss...

The maccie pout it down to water in the exhaust system that accumulated when the head gasket blew.

It stopped for a while and then i noticed that every time I load the vehicle with a trailer, or I have to climb and te engine is placed under load, smoke bellows out of the exhaust and then clears up after a while. For a short while after there is evidence of smoke coming out of the exhaust and then it clears and drives normally.

I was told the MAF sensor was faulty. I disconnected the sensor, fuel consumption increased slightly and she still smoked on occassion.

I noticed that at the start of a long open road trip she will spew white smoke out of the exhaust and then stop completely for the duration of the trip.

As soon as there is load on the engine... white smoke!

I have been back to the maccie a few times and he is no closer to a solution. I have my suspicions around valve stem seals but he doesn't seem to agree.

Has anybody experienced this before? I have a video available on whatsapp if anyone wants to see it... Just message me on 082 255 1099.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated... My heart is broken at the moment as she isn't operating to my satisfaction...

Cheers!

Fo
Forest Fab

Re: Smoking Gen 2

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Eish...

Can you tell if it's coolant smoke, or oil smoke? Coolant will be whiter. You can tell with the smell as well.
Once you know, you'll manage to narrow down what it could be.

Coolant in the exhaust? OK fine, so your mechanic removed the exhaust to empty it, right? Still smoking? That's what I thought... :?

Good luck!
ma
mario.fredericks

Re: RE: Re: Smoking Gen 2

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Forest Fab wrote:Eish...

Can you tell if it's coolant smoke, or oil smoke? Coolant will be whiter. You can tell with the smell as well.
Once you know, you'll manage to narrow down what it could be.

Coolant in the exhaust? OK fine, so your mechanic removed the exhaust to empty it, right? Still smoking? That's what I thought... :?

Good luck!
Thanks Forest...

Smoke is white as the driven snow... Definitely not oil... That's a smell I know...

Appreciate the feedback!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Fo
Forest Fab

Re: Smoking Gen 2

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of rebuilding this engine, but me thinks resleeved + engine chowing water = something was not done right. Or could be a head gasket.

Maybe have your cooling system tested at like Silverton or other for exhaust gases.

Just to double check, the exhaust have been removed and emptied of possible remaining coolant, right?
ma
mario.fredericks

Re: RE: Re: Smoking Gen 2

Mon May 22, 2017 4:14 pm

Forest Fab wrote:I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of rebuilding this engine, but me thinks resleeved + engine chowing water = something was not done right. Or could be a head gasket.

Maybe have your cooling system tested at like Silverton or other for exhaust gases.

Just to double check, the exhaust have been removed and emptied of possible remaining coolant, right?
Appreciate the feedback! Will speak to mechanic again... Thanks a million!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register