Gen 4 Pajero - Power Loss

Greg_SA
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero DiDc LWB

Re: Gen 4 Pajero - Power Loss

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:49 pm

If any of you guys are driving with your OBD2 dongle hooked up, can you take a look at the Mass Air Flow readings...

I'd like to compare them to mine, just for a sanity check :)

Mine is minimum (idle) 20 g/s and maximum (full throttle) 130 g/s.

2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
2005 Pajero DiD SWB GLS (sold)
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Greg_SA wrote:If any of you guys are driving with your OBD2 dongle hooked up, can you take a look at the Mass Air Flow readings...

Will check mine on a run tomorrow back home and report back.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Greg_SA wrote:If any of you guys are driving with your OBD2 dongle hooked up, can you take a look at the Mass Air Flow readings...

Mine was 14g/s at idle and went up to about 114g/s on max. This was on normal highway drive back home. Did not push full throttle at any time but got close a few times.

The difference to yours might be related to the fact that my measurements was done at Highveld altitude around 1500m above sea level.

So either yours is normal or mine is also stuffed.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
Greg_SA

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks. Well at least the range is similar.

Maybe they do vary. Not sure how accurately they are calibrated.
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
DandB
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2D

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi Greg,

We have just done a shortened Lesotho trip because of lack of power.
After leaving Durban the Paj (3.2 DiD LWB 2010, 125000kms) seemed a bit lazy, by the time that we were at 1000m altitude I was conscious that I was down on power. By the time we got half way up Sani Pass (2400m) there was not much I could do except change manually in the hope that I could keep it in the power band!
Subsequently, I've asked Mitsu to assess the problem & was told that as there were no fault lights there would be no diagnostics. One tech suggested that the air cleaner was blocked (It had done about 6000kms since a service change, of which about 300kms have been on dirt roads) everything else seems good - temperatures etc.

How does this compare to the symptoms that you have seen?

Dave
Mantovani
Vehicle: Pajero 2008 lwb gls did

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:08 am

I have driven over a million km with diesel over the last 20 years. Isuzu, Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Toyota. I have experienced many times problems with power loss and the main culprit is the diesel. Fill up and power is gone. Drive it to empty and fill up elsewhere and power is back to normal. First thing to do is drive it to empty and replace fuel filter. I experienced bad power loss with my pajero a year ago and after servicing and decat still could not get it right. I took it to a Bosch centre, they tested the injectors(supposedly) and told me it will cost R40000 to fix and then maybe pump also. I then went to Dastek. They fixed it. Power is back. R3000. The guy did not want to tell me what was wrong. Just said it was broken.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk
Greg_SA

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:54 am

DandB wrote:Hi Greg,

We have just done a shortened Lesotho trip because of lack of power.
After leaving Durban the Paj (3.2 DiD LWB 2010, 125000kms) seemed a bit lazy, by the time that we were at 1000m altitude I was conscious that I was down on power. By the time we got half way up Sani Pass (2400m) there was not much I could do except change manually in the hope that I could keep it in the power band!
Subsequently, I've asked Mitsu to assess the problem & was told that as there were no fault lights there would be no diagnostics. One tech suggested that the air cleaner was blocked (It had done about 6000kms since a service change, of which about 300kms have been on dirt roads) everything else seems good - temperatures etc.

How does this compare to the symptoms that you have seen?

Dave
Hi Dave,

Sounds similar.

My Pajero just felt like the throttle wasn't working. Everything was smooth, but whether I had my foot flat or at 1/4 throttle, it felt the same. Cleaning the MAF solved that immediately.

To test a faulty MAF, you can temporarily unplug the MAF, and your power should be back to normal (or much better). If you keep driving with the MAF unplugged, you'll eventually get a CEL (engine light).

It isn't dangerous to run with the MAF unplugged temporarily.

Maybe give that a try?
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
Greg_SA

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:59 am

Mantovani wrote:I have driven over a million km with diesel over the last 20 years. Isuzu, Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Toyota. I have experienced many times problems with power loss and the main culprit is the diesel. Fill up and power is gone. Drive it to empty and fill up elsewhere and power is back to normal. First thing to do is drive it to empty and replace fuel filter. I experienced bad power loss with my pajero a year ago and after servicing and decat still could not get it right. I took it to a Bosch centre, they tested the injectors(supposedly) and told me it will cost R40000 to fix and then maybe pump also. I then went to Dastek. They fixed it. Power is back. R3000. The guy did not want to tell me what was wrong. Just said it was broken.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk
Geez, it is a real pity that they didn't tell you the problem :(

I wouldn't have accepted their answer. What was written on the invoice? Were any parts replaced?

Was it Dastek in Pretoria?

I'm keen to do a decat on my Pajero, even though mine is a Euro Spec III, with just the small cat after the turbo.
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 pm

I removed my CAT at 200,000 odd km on my previous pajero and I didn't see any difference. Not sure it is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Greg_SA

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:44 pm

KurtG wrote:I removed my CAT at 200,000 odd km on my previous pajero and I didn't see any difference. Not sure it is necessary.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Kurt. I did see your posts about the decat.

I still think my Pajero is a bit underpowered, compared to what it was. The exhaust note also sounds a bit different, almost as if there is a bit of resonance at certain rpms.
2008 Pajero DiDc LWB GLS

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register