Manifold

Hu
Hugen0408

Manifold

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:29 am

Good day Gentlemen.

After a suspension refreshment and new Bf goodrich tires fitted I could not resist to trial run the Paj on Arniston/Waenhuis krans beaches.
After a whole weekend of enjoyment I noticed my Paj has a faint air leak/sputtering coming from the left side exhaust manifold.

2x new manifolds will cost about 12k.
Branches will cost about 6.5k.
Anyone with branch experience, please advise if it is a good move?
Or. Is there a possibility to have the cracked manifold welded at a reputable engineering company?
And where can I find an engineering company in Cape Town that capable of welding exhaust manifolds?
Or is fitting branches a safe and cost effective route to go?
I honestly don't want to make a mistake with this one.
Your opinions is always highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Cheers.
Hugen
1998 Pajero lwb 3.5 v6 petrol 6G74 engine

cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Re: Maninold

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Hugen,

I had the same problem with my manifolds (2004 3.8 GLS).

The left manifold cracked. I had it welded and a short while later the right hand side cracked. This was also repaired. BUT being cast iron that requires a special technique to weld and the welder not having the right equipment to do a proper repair job (the material must be heated etc), they cracked again within about 4 500km. I went to exhaust manufacturer in Rosslyn and he made two branches for me @ R4 500,00. Not the best job I have ever seen BUT they are working and the noise is gone. I suggest you go to one of the many V8 shops in Cape Town and ask them who makes V8 branches and do the same.

Cloyd
Hu
Hugen0408

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:21 pm

Dear Cloyd.
Many thanks for your reply and advise.
I spoke to a Technician at Powerflow in Salt River Cape Town.
They do the branch built etc. And quoted me R4,800 for left and right branches.

Today I have done a lot of research on the Net, some Guys are in favour of branches. Some exhaust companies are against it especially for the 3.0 and 3.5l Paj/ Colt. As the apparently do not last on these engines. On the other hand, new manifolds is very expensive and second hand ones is not to be found.

Cloyd, before I make the call. Can you perhaps tell me how many miles/klmtrs you covered with your branches thus far please?
Once again thank you.
Hugen
cloyd

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:24 pm

+Hugen,

Approx 5 000km. At the price of branches vs cast manifolds. I suggest branches. If they are properly made and of a good quality steel, I can not see why they will not last. All the hot-ship V8 etc drives on branches and I have never heard of failures. The keyword is quality both in material and the technician making them.

Cloyd
Hu
Hugen0408

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi Cloyd.

Well noted and yes so true.
My main concern was the heat in the engine bay. But as you were saying quality work is the key and yes again, all performance cars are fitted with branches. I am pretty sure my m3 v8 is fitted with branches or "headers" and I never incurred any problems there.

Nonetheless Sir. I am completely at ease now to proceed with the branch built.
Many thanks for your time and efforts.
HoPE I can do same one day.
Cheers.
Hugen
ecomas1
Vehicle: 2007 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 GLS Exceed

Re: Manifold

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi

I have a 2006 3.8 Shorty that is blowing on the right hand side manifold, can any one suggest a reputable exhaust dealer in Pretoria that can make up a decent set of branches at a reasonable cost.

Thanks in advance.
Juan
Hu
Hugen0408

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Dear Paul.
I just came from that headache.
My car had heatshields over the cast manifolds.
I took my vehicle to 2 reputable places to check for the air leak on the manifolds. Both cases they just fiddle with the flanch the more I explained to them that I know the manifolds is leaking. " I think the problem was, these service providers were not eager to strip the heatshields to check.

Why the long story. Do not take your car to a business, that deal in tires, exhaust systems and whatever. Even if they come highly recommended.
Check if there is a provider called POWERFLOW in Pretoria. Or any providers that deals with exhaust systems ONLY.

Cloyd advised me on the branches which was tempting. But Powerflow in Cape Town convinced me to weld both my vehicle manifolds. And I am very happy with the results thus far.
But hey, it's your choice just take the car to an exhaust only.
Hope this will help.
cloyd

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:30 pm

ecomas1,

Cheetah exhaust systems in Rosslyn did my manifolds - 012 541 1683. Definitely not the best job I have seen BUT the manifolds work and the leaks are gone. If you go the pipe manifold route, insist that they refit/manufacture new heat shields and that they refit the EGR. The cast manifolds can be repaired BUT the welder must know what he is doing. He must heat up the whole manifold before he starts welding or else the repair job will only last for a few weeks and the "blowing" will start again. After the job is complete the faces must be milled to ensure that they are 100% true (flat).

Cloyd
Ba
Barry Grewcock

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:29 am

good morning
i have a pair of banana manifolds for sale, made by Viper exhaust
contact me direct of you're interested.
ecomas1
Vehicle: 2007 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 GLS Exceed

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:55 am

Morning All

Thank you all for the replies in this regard, I have found a Powerflow exhaust in Midrand and will be visiting them to have them weld up the old manifold.

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register