Engine mounting/Vibration/Clunk

Bernard
Vehicle: Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 LWB

Engine mounting/Vibration/Clunk

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 am

Hi guys

I have had the dreaded clunk when switching off my car and told I need a new RH engine mounting. I have been putting it off because of cost and the actual work..
Last week I bought a new mounting and started the job. When loosening the top nut of the engine mounting, I found that it was already loose and that the mounting was actually fine. I suspect that the turbo hose leaks some vaporised oil from the air circulation system which lubricates the nut and eases it loose.
I loosened the nut, sprayed the top with carb cleaner, put a drop of locktite on the bolt and tightened the nut. For peace of mind, I put another nut on top to act as a lock nut.
I suspect that this is a general problem as it seems that everyone is replacing the RH mounting. I suggest that a little afternoon work will save some people a LOT of money. It is very easy to do and only requires a 10mm socket and a 14mm socket and some time. Most mechanics seem to replace the mounting when they diagnose the dreaded clunk.

My Pajero has less vibration and the gear changes are noticeably smoother.

PajeroNewbie
Vehicle: 2000 Pajero DiD

Re: Engine mounting/Vibration/Clunk

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 pm

hello

Is this the RH front or rear mounting that works loose?

Thanks
Mark
Bernard
Vehicle: Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 LWB

Re: Engine mounting/Vibration/Clunk

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:00 am

Hi Mark

Sorry, I only saw your question now. It is the RH front engine mounting. Directly underneath the turbo.

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register