Oil Leak after Diesel Pump Service

Ch
ChrisM

Oil Leak after Diesel Pump Service

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:48 pm

2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD (4m41)

As a non-mechanial but rather technically minded person I have enjoyed my old but awesome Pajero for the past 2 years. It has had its challenges but works like a machine and is an amazing drive. Recently I had to replace the rear propshaft seal which was leaking oil and with the help of a willing and helpful mechanic I breezed through the exercise. I certainly hope to become self sufficient to a reasonable extent in looking after my car.

My current challenge:
My wife, ever observant, noticed a few drops of oil on the garage floor today as I left to do some work. On my return I immediately jacked the car up to have a look and noticed a trail of oil from the side of the motor (battery side). I tried to trace where to the leak was coming from but couldn't see much with the battery in the way....hence removed that and the battery seating plate. After a feel around and peak I noticed a bolt that was extremely loose, protruding approx 15 mm out of where it should be seated. I handed tightened it only to notice another once just above it loose too. I have attached the pic of the loose bolt for reference.
20180421_140404.jpg
My questions:
What are these bolts holding together? Is it a norm for these to come loose by themselves?
Approximately 2 months ago I had the Diesel pump serviced at Alan Black in Springs, would they have had to loosen these bolts to get the diesel pump out?
Could the oil leak have resulted from this? (not sure what it is so unsure if there is oil involved}

I have since tightened the bolts and wiped the oil away to see if the leak still continues but would appreciate any insight into my situation.

Ch
ChrisM

Re: Oil Leak after Diesel Pump Service

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Well doesn't seem anyone is able to assist with my questions.

I tightened the bolts in question and the oil leak has stopped. I hope this is not an ongoing thing but will keep monitoring.

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register