New engine break in

jbaden88
Vehicle: 2007 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB DiD

New engine break in

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:40 pm

Good day all

My old man is awaiting his new Pajero Sport 4x4 (with 2.4 DiD) and while waiting I started thinking about how modern engines should be "broken in"?

To my knowledge it basically involves "taking it easy" for the first +/- 2000km and thereafter you're free to drive as you like?
On the other hand, some guys believe that the modern engines don't need to be "broken in" and that they are ready as they come out of the factory?

Anybody have any advice on the subject?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Jacques B

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Re: New engine break in

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Yes with todays technology the metal quality and finishes of metal surfaces is so good it is not as necessary as before.
Mitsu Fan
Vehicle: Pajero Gen 4 2015

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:18 pm

I am still old school but I agree with Peter.
Just dont hammer it from day one.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:40 am

When you think about it, just what is break in or run in as was done with older technology? It is basically allowing wear to take place under controlled conditions and the run in oil used was a low additive level to allow this to occur. You were basically taking off the "peaks" on metal surfaces.
Surface finishes are so good now the "peaks" do not exist.
There would still be a slight amount of wear metals running around in the system and on systems like axles, transfer boxes and manual gearboxes there is no filter to trap them. Some manufacturers also list these as "life time fills" or "long life fills". It would be of slight benefit to change these fluids after a short period. If you do make sure you use the right products. Also if not fitted by manufacturer a magnetic drain plug is also of benefit. Midas sells magnetic drain plugs otherwise make your own.
Mitsu Fan
Vehicle: Pajero Gen 4 2015

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:28 pm

I once did a Mini 1000 cc overhaul.
Once I started it up plumes of blue smoke blew out the exhaust. Fine I thought. Only the assembly oil burning up. No sweat.

Next morning same thing. And the next and the next. I really thought I had done something wrong.

But after a week it was almost gone.

As Peterpot explained it is a wear in process

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register