Pajero Sport Gen 2 Overheating Under Load

Waimaw
Country: sri lanka
Vehicle: MY 2012 pajero sport
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 am

Pajero Sport Gen 2 Overheating Under Load

Sat May 18, 2019 7:52 am

Hello guys ! im New here,
I have a Pajero Sport Gen 2 2012, 4D56(not High power)
When under load , hard Acceleration for 10-15 minutes or going uphill, the coolant temperature starting to rise. Then im driving normally or let it stay at idle, the temp goes back to normal. the ODO is 105000 km now and I had this issue since ODO at 60000kms.
When I had this issue first time going uphill, the water has boiled. I let it run at idle then it cooled down quickly.
The dealer had changed the thermostat, and a coolant temp sensor( I don’t remember which one- the one connected to ECU or the gauge) and refilled the silicon fluid of the viscous coupling.
But still when the engine started to run under load or going uphill for 10-15 minutes, the temp rises.
Since the first time it overheated, I didn’t let my temp gauge rise to red area till now.
I flush and refill coolant every 30000kms, and there is no visible debris or rust. i ve done the bubble test and there are no bubbles coming out from the radiator and no loss of coolant.
At 90000kms I ve replaced the radiator fan viscous coupling. Still didn’t change the water pump and pressure cap.
I ve have fitted a 12inch Spal high performance cooling fan for extra cooling ,and it helped to cool down quickly but still the temp rises under load.
I ‘ve fitted a GFB electronic boost controller(running 16-17psi), GFB Blow Off valve, Evo X intercooler, and Racechip S tuning chip(connected to the commonrail pressure sensor)
I know that the installing a tuning chip could cause engine to overheat , but this heating issue happened before I Install these modifications.
Ive changed everything except the water pump and the pressure cap. Can you guys pls help me out to get this thong fixed because the opinions of you guys are my only hope now.
User avatar
KurtG
Country: South Africa
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB
Location: Lonehill, JHB
Posts: 820
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Pajero Sport Gen 2 Overheating Under Load

Sun May 19, 2019 7:12 am

I’m not familiar with the Pajero Sport but I am aware of an engine overheating issue where Mitsubishi have had to replace engines. Was some kind of recall or something to that effect.

Maybe yours suffers the same fate?
Last edited by KurtG on Sun May 19, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
User avatar
KurtG
Country: South Africa
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB
Location: Lonehill, JHB
Posts: 820
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Pajero Sport Gen 2 Overheating Under Load

Sun May 19, 2019 7:12 am

Double Post
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Waimaw
Country: sri lanka
Vehicle: MY 2012 pajero sport
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 am

Re: Pajero Sport Gen 2 Overheating Under Load

Mon May 20, 2019 4:53 am

KurtG wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:12 am
I’m not familiar with the Pajero Sport but I am aware of an engine overheating issue there Mitsubishi have had to replace engines. Was some kind of recall or something to that effect.

Maybe yours suffers the same fate?
Oh! is that true? :( :cry:
thanks for the reply Kurt.
Hugen0408
Country: South Africa
Vehicle: Pajero 1998 3.5 petrol
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:07 pm

Re: Pajero Sport Gen 2 Overheating Under Load

Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi.
If I may. I'm not going against Kurt experience. Also, At 60000 km its a bit early for the water pump to go?

I would suggest to change the radiator cap with the correct spec from the agents. It's worth a try cause the part is quite cheap. Sometimes the rubber seal is thin and soft from the heat. The spring could also be broken. Let the vehicle temp cool down completely, unscrew the cap and just check the condition. At times the cap don't even show real signs of fatique and fails to do its job anyway.
Remember, it's a part that we don't actually think about cause it tells us never to open when hot. And it's common practice to just fill up the plastic container with coolant to the max mark.

I honestly hope you come right.
Best Regards.
Hugen
User avatar
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Contact:
Country: South Africa
Vehicle: 2001 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLS
Location: East London, South Africa
Posts: 2797
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: Pajero Sport Gen 2 Overheating Under Load

Fri May 24, 2019 9:35 pm

Make sure there is no mud or debris in radiator.

Change the thermostat with a genuine one.

Also check egr valve. If its stuck open the exhaust heat may overpower the cooling system.

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk

Marius Fourie
MY DIY WEBSITE
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
Image
Waimaw
Country: sri lanka
Vehicle: MY 2012 pajero sport
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 am

Re: Pajero Sport Gen 2 Overheating Under Load

Sat May 25, 2019 9:12 am

Hugen0408 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 pm
Hi.
If I may. I'm not going against Kurt experience. Also, At 60000 km its a bit early for the water pump to go?

I would suggest to change the radiator cap with the correct spec from the agents. It's worth a try cause the part is quite cheap. Sometimes the rubber seal is thin and soft from the heat. The spring could also be broken. Let the vehicle temp cool down completely, unscrew the cap and just check the condition. At times the cap don't even show real signs of fatique and fails to do its job anyway.
Remember, it's a part that we don't actually think about cause it tells us never to open when hot. And it's common practice to just fill up the plastic container with coolant to the max mark.

I honestly hope you come right.
Best Regards.
Hugen
thank you Hugen for the reply.
changed the radiator cap immediately after i saw your reply. lets see what happen
Waimaw
Country: sri lanka
Vehicle: MY 2012 pajero sport
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 am

Re: Pajero Sport Gen 2 Overheating Under Load

Sat May 25, 2019 9:20 am

4ePikanini wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:35 pm
Make sure there is no mud or debris in radiator.

Change the thermostat with a genuine one.

Also check egr valve. If its stuck open the exhaust heat may overpower the cooling system.

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk
thank you for the reply Pikanini.
i did change the thermostat before, but no luck :(
and also i ve cleaned the EGR. So, no soot build up in EGR valve.

Return to “Engines and Engine Management”

Login · Register

Latest Posts

Login  •  Register