Gen 2 '95 GLS 3.0V6 Overdrive troubleshooting

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
Mariovdw
Vehicle: 1995 Pajero 3.0 GLS Auto LWB

Gen 2 '95 GLS 3.0V6 Overdrive troubleshooting

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 am

Good morning Guys,

I need some advise concerning the overdrive of my '95 LWB GLS 3.0V6 Pajero.
At first the box was working properly, shifting into overdrive regularly, and all functioned great. Then I replaced the (40Ah) battery with a new 90Ah battery ( as recommended by my local battery dealer). After that, the gearbox wouldn't shift into overdrive at all. I checked and replaced the 10A fuse at the under-dash fusebox, checked and topped up the ATF oil, but still no overdrive. I have ensured that the overdrive button on the shifter is set to "on".

What else can I check/test? I will really appreciate any input on the matter.

Regards.
Mario v/d Westhuizen - Levubu; Limpopo
076 522 1766
1995 Pajero Gen 2 3.0V6 GLS Auto
Mariovdw
Vehicle: 1995 Pajero 3.0 GLS Auto LWB

Re: Gen 2 '95 GLS 3.0V6 Overdrive troubleshooting

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 am

Hi Everybody,
Thank you for all who took the time to read my post, and did not see it fit to reply with advice or ideas though, forcing me to dive into the deep water totally blind ( maybe it was a good thing...) :D
I managed to find the cause of my problem. I started with the fuse under the dashboard ( driver side), replaced the fuse even though it tested OK. Then I checked under the vehicle and immediately saw the overdrive solenoid - and a loose wire which has broken off - I can only presume it happened during the last adventure the Gen 2 went through. I joined, soldered, sealed and rerouted the wire to ensure this would not happen again. The test drive afterwards confirmed that overdrive was working fine again.

During this process, I learned a whole lot, discovered quite a few other issues I still have to deal with - ie. a tiny AT oil leak on one of the pipes leading to the gearbox and transfer case, some missing screws & bolts around and under the vehicle - but nothing time will not be able to sort out. 8-)

I wish you all a very blessed festive season, and many safe miles ahead. :)

Regards.
Mario v/d Westhuizen - Levubu; Limpopo
076 522 1766
1995 Pajero Gen 2 3.0V6 GLS Auto

Return to “Drivetrain”