Gen 2 Blister fenders transmission

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
Adel
Vehicle: 1997 Pajero

Gen 2 Blister fenders transmission

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:41 pm

Dears
New proud Pajero owner here! its a 1997 Gen 2 Blister fender with a 6g72 engine with auto transmission.
Just bought it a couple of months ago... done all the service including the transmission oil change.
Everything was fine for about a month then the transmission started to act up. 1st gear shifts to 2nd late in the morning or when parked for a while. Also, sometimes (specially in traffic )when i accelerate it tend to feel like something is not fully engaged and then it does.
One more thing, sometimes i experience like small down shifts (a couple of hundred revs)
I have read most of the threads but couldn't find a similar post.
Any ideas what might be the cause and a probable solution?
Thanks Guys,
Adel

Ro
RoelfleRoux

Re: Gen 2 Blister fenders transmission

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:06 am

Hi.
What oil did you put in the transmission? General consensus is that these transmissions don't really like anything but the oil supplied by the dealers.
The small down-shifts, I think, is simply the torque converter lock-up clutch disengaging.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Adel

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:43 pm

RoelfleRoux wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:06 am
Hi.
What oil did you put in the transmission? General consensus is that these transmissions don't really like anything but the oil supplied by the dealers.
The small down-shifts, I think, is simply the torque converter lock-up clutch disengaging.

Hello,
Oil used has the same grade of the recommended one.
Forgot to mention that the car has a bad differential a whining noise when hitting 85km/h and above. I am not sure but i think it might be putting some load on the transmission!
I am scheduled to change the differential tomorrow hopefully.
One more question, is there any differential rebuild kits available for these cars?
Cheers,
Adel
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:17 am

Adel,
There are quite a few cases reported on various forums where similar "grade and spec" transmission oil is used and then doesn't really do the job right. It really does seem that these Pajero transmissions only want to run on DiaQueen ATF.

Adel

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Hello RoelfleRoux,
Turns out that it was low on oil. Changed the Differential and its a lot better now. Yet i think i will be changing the transmission soon as it don't like the way it performs. Now the question is, since i can't the Mitsu oil here in egypt what my second best option?
Thanks a lot!
Adel

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register