Troubleshooting 4x4 Super select lights

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
Charl
Vehicle: 2002 3.2 DID SWB

Re: Troubleshooting 4x4 Super select lights

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:09 pm

pierreandre wrote:They are probably correct about the parts to replace. I've replaced the solenoids and sensors and it solved all the problems I had. The only part I doubt needs replacement is the actuator. It probably only needs a good cleaning and some proper lubrication. They get stuck if not used.

The only thing that's bothering me is the fact that you have no lights showing. The most likely explanation is that the one front green light and the centre orange light bulbs are broken. You should see all 6 (4 wheels, centre diff and rear diff) lights light up when starting the car. After starting, the centre orange light is probably flickering, but you cannot see it as the bulb isn't working.
Thanks for the info! I Spoke to the Mitsu Auto Electrician today and he also says they'll first replace the 4X4 detection switches, bulbs and solenoids. Then it should work, but they can't guarantee it. Next step will be to replace the actuator. I'll keep you posted.

Just to confirm, the solenoids and sensors are separate? Did you have to replace your sensors as well Pierre? Mistu didn't mention anything about the sensors to me.
Regards
Charl

pierreandre
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 GLS

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:43 pm

My apologies for the confusion. The sensors I mentioned are the detection switches. They are separate from the solenoids. I first replaced the switches, but there were still some issues with the system. I then replaced the solenoids.

Replacing the switches are quite a job, as you have to drop the gearbox. The solenoids however are very easy to replace as they are located inside the engine bay.

I would replace the bulbs and clean and lubricate the actuator first. Then check what the system does. It should be possible then to properly diagnose the problem.
Pierre-Andre
2001 Pajero 3.5 GLS LWB
2001 Colt 3000i 4x4 D/C (SOLD)
Charl
Vehicle: 2002 3.2 DID SWB

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi Guys,

Just some feedback on my 4x4 problem. I had the 4x4 detection switches and the front solenoid replaced and all is working perfectly now. Very chuffed!!! Thank you very much for all the info.

Regards
Charl
pierreandre
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 GLS

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Good to year. Now you can really go out and enjoy it.
Pierre-Andre
2001 Pajero 3.5 GLS LWB
2001 Colt 3000i 4x4 D/C (SOLD)
Vi
Vilgrim

Mon May 13, 2013 10:32 am

Hello,

Thanks for the informative write up. I have a similar problem with my IO at the moment. The mechanical systems all work fine but the lights on the dash don't match what is going on in the transfer box.

Just had all the sensors and solenoid replaced but the problem persists. Will try your route and see what happens.

Thanks Again.
at
atcoetzee

Tue May 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Thank you for the info. Had my gearbox and tranfer case reconned recently and since then the lights have not worked.
I'm sure this will help my cause of repairing it myself. :)
Di
Dieselman

Fri May 24, 2013 12:16 am

I did all the voltage test on the control unit as per your sketch. Some of them compare but some of them i have voltage were i dont supposed to have and vice versa. What worries me is that i dont get any voltage from the ignition.(terminal 3 i think).
I checked the actuator at the front diff did move as it is supposed to be, but when i play off road i see only the one front wheel spinning while the other one is stationary. :?
What is the next step?
Replace the switches on the box? Or find the voltage from the ignition to go to terminal 3 ?
Could it be that the actuator does not move enough to lock the diff?
Ni
Nick Marriott

Sun May 26, 2013 9:15 am

Your system is working fine if one front wheel is spinning. This is because you do not have a front diff lock. In essence, our Pajeros are 4x3's. The more modern off roaders use electronics to brake the spinning wheel, but this has it's own set off draw backs.

Regards
Nick
Di
Dieselman

Sun May 26, 2013 6:57 pm

Nick Marriott wrote:Your system is working fine if one front wheel is spinning. This is because you do not have a front diff lock. In essence, our Pajeros are 4x3's. The more modern off roaders use electronics to brake the spinning wheel, but this has it's own set off draw backs.

Regards
Nick
Well what is the actuator at the front diff for then? :?
Ni
Nick Marriott

Sun May 26, 2013 7:16 pm

The actuator engages the front drive shafts to the front diff. If it locked the diff you would not be able to use 4H on tar. I use 4H for driving on wet roads for better handling, 4HL for dirt roads and 4LL for when the going gets tough.

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register