Troubleshooting 4x4 Super select lights

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Re: Troubleshooting 4x4 Super select lights

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:37 am

The good news is that the Disco lights are more often an electric problem than a mechanical one.
Check whether the transfer case actually shifts to 4WD and whether the front diff actuator engages.

I side-stepped the whole issue by disconnecting all the indicator lights. The transfer case is shifted mechanically, so my short lever shows which mode I am in.

Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 am

4ePajero wrote:The good news is that the Disco lights are more often an electric problem than a mechanical one.
Check whether the transfer case actually shifts to 4WD and whether the front diff actuator engages.

I side-stepped the whole issue by disconnecting all the indicator lights. The transfer case is shifted mechanically, so my short lever shows which mode I am in.
Note that this works only if you have manual or centrifugal hubs. (you have to reverse to deselect 4h)

In stock form the gen2 engages the front diff to the front right sideshaft via vacuum actuator that gets switched based on sensors on the front diff actuator and in the transfer case.
sy
sybie99

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:09 am

Had a check yesterday to see that 4H engages, took it out on a gravel road and it works great, so even though the light is flashing it, 4H does engage.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will see how I get on to fix this fortunately minor issue of flashing light using the troubleshooting info

Cheers
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 am

make sure you don't have 3 wheel drive. If you truly have 4h when you select 4h but the lights keep flashing it means your front sensor isn't happy. Just follow the wires to the sensor. Unbolt it (carefully as the wires WILL be brittle) clean and reassemble.
pierreandre
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 GLS

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:07 pm

Has anyone tried to clean/fix the center diff lock sensor on a Gen3? I've tried to reach it, but since they seem to be hidden on the top of the transfer case, I'm unable to get there.

I think the center diff lock sensor is unreliable. The center orange light will start flashing every every 4th or 5th time I go from 4H to 4HLC. It also starts to flash while driving on the highway in 2H after 30km or so. I'm relatively sure that the center diff lock engages when I switch to 4HLC as I can hear the actuator moving.
Pierre-Andre
2001 Pajero 3.5 GLS LWB
2001 Colt 3000i 4x4 D/C (SOLD)
De
Derek Smit

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Hello all,
I have a 1985 pajero with 2.6L
Please can you assist! I changed my back up switch on the gearbox and the lights stay on all the time, and also changed the switches for the 4wd transfer casing it stay's on all the time on the dash cluster
Regards Derek
Jo
JohnDG

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Guys

I got a buddie who just bought a 1995 2.8 diesel Pajero on my recommendation. I got two friends into Pajero' s now, it seems Pajeros sell themselves once taken for a test drive. The car is in good nick and well looked after by the previous owner.

The only fault is with the super select system. When we test drove the vehicle all was ok and the super select system was working perfectly. However, recently while driving in 2h normally, the front lights and the CD lock lights started flashing and he could hear what sounded like gears trying to engage. He stopped and engaged and disengaged 4h and the cd lock and the flashing lights stopped and all was ok. Now it seems the front lights and cd/lock lights flash every now and again while driving in 2h. He has not heard the gears trying to engage again just the flashing lights.

I would like to check the switches on the transfer case and gearbox this weekend as this may be the cause of the problem. I have a Gen 3 and have never worked on these switches before so I need to know if I can access the switches from underneath or if i need to remove the centre console?

Please advise as to the cause of the problem and the best way to solve it? I know that there is already a lot of information on the site regarding the 4x4 Lights but any extra advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

John.
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 am

best way is to drop the transmission but I managed to access them from underneath and via the gear lever gaitor - console (center armrest and front radio part) and gear covers have to come off
Jo
JohnDG

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks Marius!

I have a complete workshop manual for the Gen 3 downloaded from Pajero website, but there does not seem to be one for the Gen 2. I have found a download for the Gen 2 diesel and petrol engines but thats all.

Is the entire Gen 2 workshop manual available for download from another site?

Cheers,

John.
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:48 am

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register