Troubleshooting 4x4 Super select lights

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
Di
Dieselman

Re: Troubleshooting 4x4 Super select lights

Mon May 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Nick Marriott wrote:The actuator engages the front drive shafts to the front diff. If it locked the diff you would not be able to use 4H on tar. I use 4H for driving on wet roads for better handling, 4HL for dirt roads and 4LL for when the going gets tough.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. :oops: Now i know i bit more of my Pajero.
How does the center diff lock work?

Ni
Nick Marriott

Mon May 27, 2013 10:41 pm

The centre diff lock only works in 4HL and 4LL. The rear diff lock works with a button on the centre console. With centre diff lock and rear diff lock engaged you have 4x3. If you want true 4x4 then you need to install a diff lock on the front diff. The cost does not justify fitment as you would virtually never require it. This would be for serious rock crawling only, which the Pajero was not designed for. It is an overlander with 'extra' abilities.
Di
Dieselman

Wed May 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Nick Marriott wrote:The centre diff lock only works in 4HL and 4LL. The rear diff lock works with a button on the centre console. With centre diff lock and rear diff lock engaged you have 4x3. If you want true 4x4 then you need to install a diff lock on the front diff. The cost does not justify fitment as you would virtually never require it. This would be for serious rock crawling only, which the Pajero was not designed for. It is an overlander with 'extra' abilities.
Thanks. I dont have rear diff lock. So how does the center diff lock work? Does it lock something in the gear box or transfer case?
Ni
Nick Marriott

Wed May 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Centre difflock is in the transfer case. What model Pajero do you have? If does not have a rear diff lock then it should have traction control to contain a spinning wheel.
Di
Dieselman

Wed May 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Mine is the Gen 2 1996 model without diff lock.
koevoet
Vehicle: 3.2 DiD GLX 2005

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi, Will this setup be simmilar for the 3.2 DID 2005, I just paid R6000 to get the issue of flashing lights fixed and it still does not work. My tech guy said they cannot access the gearbox ECU I must go to the dealer. I am scared to do that because you then end up in the spin cycle!.
Live everyday to its fullest, tomorrow is a bonus!
lunnmj
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 DID SWB

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi There

What is the position of the actuator when the key is switched off ?
Must the actuator move to 2H position every time when switched on ?

Does any of the sensors check for oil levels ?

I have the same problem for a while now on 2002 3.2 DID SWB.
Been reading forums and analyzing the fault.
At first the C/D lock flashed orange only after a few hundred kilo's 2H then I stop and switch off and restart as the operators manual states and it is clear.
Now this last trip it start flashing and will not reset, but my 4x4 4H does seem to work as I used it for 160km through the mountains.
I keep my speed to below 100KPH as It starts to make a strange noise.
I noticed that when I start up on a angle all clears and back to normal till I drive on a level then it goes back to orange C/D flashing.
Does this warning perhaps check oil levels ?

Thanks Martyn
pierreandre
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 GLS

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:34 am

lunnmj wrote:Hi There

What is the position of the actuator when the key is switched off ?
Must the actuator move to 2H position every time when switched on ?
AFAIK yes. 4H is the default position.

I don't think the C/D light will flash if there is an oil level problem. I checked all the list of diagnostic codes for SS4 and none of them mention oil. Do you have a workshop manual? It contains procedures for reading the fault codes.
Pierre-Andre
2001 Pajero 3.5 GLS LWB
2001 Colt 3000i 4x4 D/C (SOLD)
lunnmj
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 DID SWB

Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:27 pm

I think if I had a actuator problem and 4H is the default position then when I drive in 4H the light would not flash as I am in the selected gear, but mine still flashes.
Further back I read that the odd size tyres affects this light. that means the wheel sensor could also cause this problem ?

I only have a Haynes workshop manual.
ho
hogbeast

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:45 am

Many posts do not mention that the actual sensor on the gear box can also cause the flashing lights. My centre diff sensor was dirty. Clean it nd problem solved

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register