Pajero Sport drivetrain vibration after OME suspension fit

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
sn
snorstadsurfer

Re: Pajero Sport drivetrain vibration after OME suspension fit

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:25 pm

OK. It has been a while and I have been sitting with this problem for over a year thinking options through what everyone has said on this thread. The vibration is still there but has not increased. Still just as annoying though.

This week I took my vehicle to my trusted mechanic for a service, and he took it to several driveshaft places in Pretoria as well as Mitsubishi for assessment. As expected Mitsubishi were no help. The other guys were. Here is a summary of the prognosis and remedial actions:

1. The problem is that the angle of the driveshaft and the diff has changed placing extra torque on the universal/diff hence the shuddering. The problem is exacerbated in the Sport because of the very short propshafts.
2. The solution is to rotate the diff slightly to change the angle of the diff to be more in line with the propshaft. Estimated R10k and no guarantee. I am not doing this right now.
3. The solution is not to extend the propshaft on the Sport as the diff is apparently self extending.
4. What I did do was to remove and balance the front and rear propshafts (R1400). This has reduced the vibration by 50-60%. This is a start.

The bottom line is that one needs to think long and hard about doing a lift on a Sport. I very much appreciate and enjoy the vastly improved drive and off road handling/safety of the OME conversion. BUT this vibration is likely to be an inevitable outcome. Perhaps it would be better to chose a suspension system that limited the lift to 40mm or less?

I am off to Bushmanland next week so will give the balanced props a good run. Lets see what happens to the "remaining" vibration.

FishEagle
Vehicle: Pajero Sport QE

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Have you thought of installing a Double Cardan Joint on your shaft instead of the universal ?
sn
snorstadsurfer

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks for your thoughts FishEagle.

I have resigned myself to living with the vibration. It occurs only at certain speeds and when I accelerate so it is not constant. So whilst it is annoying, it is not annoying enough to force me to do something. Any vibration in a vehicle indicates a developing issue, so I suppose some day I will need to replace my diff or universal.

I would be very interested to get feedback if you do fit the Double Cardan Joint or if you find some other solution to the problem. I would imagine that it is going to be fairly expensive to fit this.

Has anyone else tried this option? What were the outcomes?
FishEagle
Vehicle: Pajero Sport QE

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:25 pm

My Vibration is minor, when i drive in 4H its non existent, but i can feel the car is not as smooth as it was.

Will adjust the phase on the universal joint 30-37deg out of phase and should solve the problem

Otherwise i will install the Double Cardan Joint. ff

Have a read:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wha ... -one.2701/

My Drive Shaft guy says it would work in my setup. Yes it would be expensive if i have an entirely seperate shaft build and save the original. If you cut your original and fit them it would be very affordable i guess.

snorstadsurfer wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:40 am
Thanks for your thoughts FishEagle.

I have resigned myself to living with the vibration. It occurs only at certain speeds and when I accelerate so it is not constant. So whilst it is annoying, it is not annoying enough to force me to do something. Any vibration in a vehicle indicates a developing issue, so I suppose some day I will need to replace my diff or universal.

I would be very interested to get feedback if you do fit the Double Cardan Joint or if you find some other solution to the problem. I would imagine that it is going to be fairly expensive to fit this.

Has anyone else tried this option? What were the outcomes?

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register