Gen 3 Autobox problems

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
Sw
Swannie.001

Re: Gen 3 Autobox problems

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:10 am

So the verdict was not good. When removing the gearbox sump, metal shavings and even small bits of metal were found. The gearbox was sent away and it was found that a comprehensive rebuilt would be required. I honestly did not know what to do,

Then Mitsi Tech let me know that they sourced another box, which comes from a vehicle known to them and is very unlikely to be problematic.

Its a leap of faith. So, I'm having another box installed. If I can get another 5 years or so out of it (I don't do high km's per annum), it will be worth my while.

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:04 pm

I am sorry to hear about that. The gearboxes are generally problem free. Just make sure that they fill up with the right ATF. Using the incorrect ATF is possibly the single most common cause of transmission problems.
LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:17 am

OK, finally got the Gen 3 back yesterday. Box was repaired using mainly second-hand spares - which seems to be as scares as hens teeth! New is just too expensive for a 12 year old vehicle.

Box is fortunately performing like a new one! :D

In the end it was a failure of the planetary gear set. I'm told the reason for the failure is that the 'pins' holding the gears onto shafts work loose after lots of work causing the gears to move on the shaft. Not a common problem though judging from the scarcity of second-hand boxes/components.

Total cost including 262500km service came to R 25k! :cry:

Sure she's now good for another couple of hundred thousand kilo's!
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
zeek
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS AT 2002

Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:07 pm

LowRange wrote:OK, finally got the Gen 3 back yesterday. Box was repaired using mainly second-hand spares - which seems to be as scares as hens teeth! New is just too expensive for a 12 year old vehicle.

Box is fortunately performing like a new one! :D

In the end it was a failure of the planetary gear set. I'm told the reason for the failure is that the 'pins' holding the gears onto shafts work loose after lots of work causing the gears to move on the shaft. Not a common problem though judging from the scarcity of second-hand boxes/components.

Total cost including 262500km service came to R 25k! :cry:

Sure she's now good for another couple of hundred thousand kilo's!
Yes what happened to mine few year ago. The plastic bushes in the area melted and the shaft came loose and knocked everything to bits.
Also replaced with second hand complete gearbox from accident car and with installation was also R25.
Been going for 60000km since it was replaced and since day 1 been much smoother than my original. So I am sure I inherited a gearbox that had some serious towing in 5th gear happen or something as it failed on 180000km.

Glad you up and running again
Riku

Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Did GLS 2002
Echo 4 2011
Roelf_le_Roux

Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:12 pm

I'm sure R20k+ was a number mentioned to replace the dual-mass clutch assembly on the old manual DiDs. Then R25k is not outrageous. Sure, one would rather spend it a holiday, but yeah.
zeek
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS AT 2002

Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Roelf_le_Roux wrote:I'm sure R20k+ was a number mentioned to replace the dual-mass clutch assembly on the old manual DiDs. Then R25k is not outrageous. Sure, one would rather spend it a holiday, but yeah.
Definitely, spending some money here and there might seem steep at the time and forget about the pain quickly when you driving the Pajero. You still got a lot of vehicle and over the life span that takes you on those lekkerste holidays.

As long as you don't spend 25k too often ;)
Riku

Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Did GLS 2002
Echo 4 2011
Te
TessaPaj

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Same thing happened to my gen 3 pajero. However after 2 gear box replacements, there is still a kick when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear. It seems like it will loose power then kick as it shifts from 2nd to 3rd. We tried rebuilding the transmission and had the computer checked, solenoids checked but no luck yet! :oops: Any ideas guys?

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register