Wheel hub bearing bolts and Engine Timing Guide

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
SimphiweB
Vehicle: Pajero 3.8, V6, 2008 SWB

Wheel hub bearing bolts and Engine Timing Guide

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:49 am

Hi

I'm in the process of replacing the rear wheel bearings for the Gen4 Pajero because of some plan on one wheel. While i was fitting the new ones supplied by Master Parts, i realized that the bolts that are supposed to hold the bearing unit into place do not fit into the wholes for the new bearing housing . The wholes as small by a very small margin. I've been to nut and bolt people this morning and they supplied me with fitting ones. The bearing unit fits properly but i now have to replace the original bolts with the ones i got from nuts people.

Should i be worried about the strength of the aftermarket bolts? I would have expected the new wheel bearing to come with new bolts but it was not the case.

Secondly, my car is at 244000km and the engine has never opened. Should i replace the upper timing chain guide in the engine? It was at Mitsubishi last week and they said there is no noise so i should not worry. Should i wait for the noise to occur first? I service it with a private mechanic ( previously Haydn in PMB) and the suggestion was that i should replace the whole chain as a precaution/preventative maintenance. How often do Pajeros break down because of the timing chain/guide, especially Pajero 4?

Your advise will be appreciated.

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Re: Wheel hub bearing bolts and Engine Timing Guide

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:29 am

SimphiweB wrote:Hi

I'm in the process of replacing the rear wheel bearings for the Gen4 Pajero because of some plan on one wheel. While i was fitting the new ones supplied by Master Parts, i realized that the bolts that are supposed to hold the bearing unit into place do not fit into the wholes for the new bearing housing . The wholes as small by a very small margin. I've been to nut and bolt people this morning and they supplied me with fitting ones. The bearing unit fits properly but i now have to replace the original bolts with the ones i got from nuts people.

Should i be worried about the strength of the aftermarket bolts? I would have expected the new wheel bearing to come with new bolts but it was not the case.

Secondly, my car is at 244000km and the engine has never opened. Should i replace the upper timing chain guide in the engine? It was at Mitsubishi last week and they said there is no noise so i should not worry. Should i wait for the noise to occur first? I service it with a private mechanic ( previously Haydn in PMB) and the suggestion was that i should replace the whole chain as a precaution/preventative maintenance. How often do Pajeros break down because of the timing chain/guide, especially Pajero 4?

Your advise will be appreciated.
I am not aware of the Pajero 3.2 engine having regular timing chain issues. Yes the gen3 had the top guide wear through but not chain direct issues. On the gen 4 there was a recall on timing chain tensioner, not guide, in Australia, but not SA. Not sure if ours are out of that engine range. In Aus if they found the tensioner faulty they inspected chain and if marks found that was also replaced by Mitsu.

On my 2009 gen4 I had a noisy engine and the tensioner was replaced on 170000kms which sorted out noise, so maybe a good idea to keep an eye, or rather ear to it, but so far I have read very little of catastrophic failures on the 3.2 Did engine relating to timing chain failures.

On the wheelbearing nut issue, I have no idea and your finding is very interesting regarding the original nut not fitting.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
SimphiweB
Vehicle: Pajero 3.8, V6, 2008 SWB

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:00 am

Many thanks Cats, i feel a bit relieved.

The wheel bearings i got from Master-parts were not correct hence the bolts didn't match. There is a very close resemblance between the wheel bearing of Pajero 3 and 4, and i seem to have had the bearing for the former. I've taken it back to Materparts and then went to bite the bullet at the agents. It goes for R4955 each, i hope it the first and the last time i have to attend to it.
kellyf
Vehicle: 2001 3.2 DID SWB

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Bearing Man supply quality bearing/hub combinations. Did you try them?
Ca
CasperA

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:04 am

Autozone also sells the hub with bearing for about a R1000

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register