Gen 4 3.2 DID LWB Rear Wheel Bearings

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
Berto
Vehicle: Gen4 3.2 DID LWB Pajero

Gen 4 3.2 DID LWB Rear Wheel Bearings

Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi All. It's been a while...

We upgraded to a Gen 4 3.2 DID LWB and love the car.
The rear wheel bearings are going noisy and needs replacement now. It's on 260 000 km so I guess it's time. :shock: The agents are charging me an arm and a leg :cry: for the parts and say I have to replace the entire hub. Is there anyone that has maybe tried splitting it and sourcing the bearings? Can it be done or should I just bite the bullet and get the hubs?
Reino Kotze
Vehicle: Gen3 LWB 3.2L pajero

Re: Gen 4 3.2 DID LWB Rear Wheel Bearings

Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:00 pm

We replaced all our wheel bearings last year. I had a close look at them and ... well the way its constructed is the bearing is sortoff the hub. That's probably why our bearings lasted about 14 years.

I looked at priced for OEM stuff in the US and they were about 400USD per bearing so its very close to the N$ 5000 we paid.
rvanhuys
Vehicle: 2003 DiD GLS LWB

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:22 pm

I also looked around (after 15 years and 320 000km) and found that agents very similar in price to the only other option I found (an SKF, also a set with hub). As Reino says, they are fully sealed and not adjustable, so you have to replace the whole assembly.
2003 DiD LWB
peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:31 pm

A quick word of advice for all with wheel bearing issues. I have investigated a lot of wheel bearing problems and it was sometimes the tires that were the problem. Swop the tyres around or with another vehicle as a test.
I recall someone with a GEN3 or 4 stating that in their search for wheel bearings were supplied from the other model which turned out different = ie I believe GEN3 and GEN4 are not interchangeable.

Return to “Drivetrain”