Gen 4 ATF AUTO BOX FLUID CHANGE

Transmissions, transfer boxes, axles, drive shafts
mitsenoj
Vehicle: 2013 LWB 3.2 DiD

Gen 4 ATF AUTO BOX FLUID CHANGE

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:07 pm

HI - is this the correct fluid for GEN 4 box : ATF SP III MITSUBISHI ?

Car now out of motor plan - time for some personal TLC L :)

Tim - Port Elizabeth
2000 Gen 3 3.2 DiD - LWB (Sold)
2013 Gen 4 3.2 DiD - LWB - Exceed
peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Re: Gen 4 ATF AUTO BOX FLUID CHANGE

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:22 pm

That's the one.
While you are about it remember the engine coolant and brake fluid also has a limited service life. Genuine coolant and DOT4 brake fluid.
dcameron
Vehicle: Pajero 3.8 GLS SWB

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:41 am

Any advice on where best to buy the fluid and filter, I am based in Johannesburg.
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:46 pm

dcameron wrote:Any advice on where best to buy the fluid and filter, I am based in Johannesburg.
Your best bet is any of the dealers. Don’t skimp on these kind of things.
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
mitsenoj
Vehicle: 2013 LWB 3.2 DiD

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:25 am

I am bit confused now - see below from another post/thread - this says I should be using ATF-PA Fluid. The spares guys just phoned a mechanic a MM and thats how he determined the fluid type ?? How do I determine the model and transmission I have - being a 2013 I assume its a NW ?

I dropped in MM service department and asked a person at the counter about ATF fluid for my pajero. He repeated the same story that when they service auto transmission they use ATF SPIII which comes up against my pajero model when he looked up the MM database, the part number is MR922838 which is ATF SP3 (5L)

I've got printouts and it appears that for NS-NX pajeros they use SPIII regardless of transmission type, for V5AWF transmission it would be a wrong type. After the first transmission service, assuming that V5AWF was filled up with PA fluid at factory, it will have a mix of 70% PA and 30% SPIII fluids as per service book discharge volume: Approx. 3.0 L.

I don't understand the plot, why would MM use wrong fluid, or maybe pajeros shipped to Australia can tolerate this?
The fist auto-transmission service for (4M4 engines) is supposed to be done at 195K in regular service table, and at 90K in Additional Service Table (under certain operating conditions). It is likely that the car will be out warranty when it clocks 195K or even 90K, maybe that explains?
------------------------
Spare parts showed me their listing and it identified SP III
So I got them to phone the Service Dep't and they said ATF-PA.

It was news to the Spare parts guys, they had been selling the wrong fluid.
Apparently, (In Geelong anyway) the PA is not available for purchase through spare parts, it can only be purchased from the workshop, maybe? this explains why PA doesn't show up as the ATF to use in their catalogue.

Tim - Port Elizabeth
2000 Gen 3 3.2 DiD - LWB (Sold)
2013 Gen 4 3.2 DiD - LWB - Exceed
Tewie
Vehicle: 2013 pajero 3.2did swb

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:33 pm

I notice there has been quite some confusion wrt gen 4 auto fluid. I have just bought a filter and gasket plus mitsubishi ATF 3 from the dealer against my VIN number and I am about to change the fluid. Can someone please tell me if this is correct fluid. I was told that DIA Queen is a mineral oil and is not good enough for 140 KW Pajero. Mine is 2013 3.2 did.
Tewie
Vehicle: 2013 pajero 3.2did swb

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:41 pm

With regards to the post below I did not mention the full fluid spec I bought. It is Mitsubishi ATF Sp 3 part number 4024610
bigdee
Vehicle: Pajero

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:23 pm

Tewie wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:33 pm
I notice there has been quite some confusion wrt gen 4 auto fluid. I have just bought a filter and gasket plus mitsubishi ATF 3 from the dealer against my VIN number and I am about to change the fluid. Can someone please tell me if this is correct fluid. I was told that DIA Queen is a mineral oil and is not good enough for 140 KW Pajero. Mine is 2013 3.2 did.
Hi
I have just bought a filter (quite suprised it is a metal filter), gasket and 5L oil from the agents (Rola, Somerset West). The oil is in an unmarked container as I was told they buy it in bulk . A bit worrying this: I would have prefered to know exactly what oil I have purchased!
I would like to hear from Tewie if he changed his oil? Although I now have the parts, I am a bit hesitant to do this work! I too have a 2013 3.2 DiD. I bought it a month ago and only has 52,000km on the clock (genuine, as I personally know the ex owner). According to the service intervals this oil should be renewed at 60,000km, so I have some time still!
I so wish I had a Hayes manual to help me with this, and also changing the lubricants in all the other gearboxes.
With all other second hand vehicles I have bought in the past, I have always changed the lubricants, just to be sure! (although this Pajero has a full service record from the agents, and has just had its 50,000km service).

Return to “Drivetrain”

Login · Register