Middle Seat Stuck?!

Sc
Scubadude

Middle Seat Stuck?!

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi guys (and gals),

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere - if so please point me in the right direction.

I tried flipping forward the flipping right hand (larger) part of my car's flipping center seat and guess what -- and it is flipping stuck!! Seriously, the back part folds forward just fine but the "floor catch" won't release. I expect this to be a "use a bigger hammer" type of problem ... but where and how to apply that additional force. Gentle probing with a crowbar on the floor did nothing. Please help!

Thanks!

Francois

Ro
RoelfleRoux

Re: Middle Seat Stuck?!

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Get two ten year old boys and put them on that seat and tell them to sit flippen well still. After they have bounced up and down on the seat, give it another try. A little squirt of the old faithfull Q20 shouldn't do harm either.
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:53 pm

the gen3 has a weird way with the seats. About halfway flipping the back rests down the bottom seat releases and 3/4 way down it catches again.

try lifting the seat part from the rear of the car while flipping the backrest forward.
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:58 pm

Find the latch that is operated when you pull on the catch.
The cable / connector has probably stretched.
Open the latch manually, adjust if possible and lightly oil all moving parts.

(see attached manual)
52A.pdf
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 1007 times
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
Sc
Scubadude

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Flipping good advice (as always) .... flipping fanks :)

Don't get the "release manually" bit but will have a look tonight ....
Mi
Mickster

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi I have the solid one back seat. It is quite quirky!
Our will only be put up if you have the seat totally upright and then do the folding in a smooth one motion! ie the 2 stages- back rest down and seat up one straight after the other.
So if you put the back rest down and it does not fold... start all over again from backrest up.
Hope that helps!
Mickster
llec999
Vehicle: 1995 Pajero SWB 2.8TD (After selling LWB Did:)

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:44 pm

I would just like to confirm. I struggled for MONTHS to fix my rear seat. And every Pajero owner I talked to had the same problem. I ended up causing a lot of damage to the seat using the bouncing kids and some very large metal pipes to try and dislodge the seat. In the end it is as 4ePajero says

The trick is in the motion of fold the backrest and in the same motion tilting the seat forward. It takes some practise but this is the ONLY way you wil flip it over EVERY time. Maybe some-one wil make a you tube video?

PLEASE do not dismantle any of the parts. It is most surely not stretched cable or non working mechanisms - it's purely in the motion!

Good luck
Llewellyn
1995 Pajero SWB 2.8TD
1996 Delica 2.8td
1999 Pajero 3.2DiD LWB (Diesel problem...)
1997 Pajero Junior 1.1 (written off hitting a Drifter Double cab)
Sc
Scubadude

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:38 pm

After extensive research I can now confirm that there are at least three ways to release the seat, but for that you will have to wait till morning as I am off to bed now ... :)
Sc
Scubadude

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 pm

llec999 wrote:It is most surely not stretched cable or non working mechanisms - it's purely in the motion!
Not entirely true ... it is in a very peculiar design of the seat release mechanism. I spent the better part of an hour playing with the seat last night, and as I said I found three ways to release it ...

1. USE YOUR HEAD

Trying to tilt the seat forward at the same time as folding down the back rest does work (sometimes) but is hellavu difficult to do without a third arm, so I propped my head between the back rest and the the seat. Not very glamourous but at least I managed to get it unstuck.

2. SPOOKASEM

Ahhh ... Q20 ... gotta love it. This time not for it lubricating properties (which made no difference), but for the height of the can, which as it turned out is roughly the same as my head in a horizontal position. This is really only a small refinement over method no.1 ... locate the can between the seat and the back rest, fold the back rest down and then press down firmly untill you hear (or should I say "feel") the seat realease.

3. PLEASE ENSURE YOUR SEAT BACK IS IN THE FULLY UPRIGHT POSITION

This one took a while to figure out ...

The little things in life can make all the difference. Like a few minutes of back rest rake.

See the seat release lever has a second function ... to adjust the rake of the back rest. The seat will only release if the back rest is in the fully upright position ... clever design feature this. Execpt the back rest when folded up against the stop is not fully upright .... It is the slightest bit back. So the correct sequence of evens to fold the seat is: crank the release lever to get the backrest fully upright, fold the backrest forward, crank the release lever again and tilt seat forward. Works perfectly every time, just like Tastic rice.

Have not checked, but a quick look in the owner's manual would probably have given me the answer in a matter of seconds ... Anyhow, mystery solved and my Paj can now once again be used in "bakkie met 'n kappie" mode ...
uf
ufguide

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:12 am

After 7 years of married life and 5 years without lifting the RH middle seat: it is true. It is all in the motion!

Return to “Chassis, Bodywork, Trim & Interior”

Login · Register