Gen4 Dash Rattle - Statement from Mitsu SA

SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Gen4 Dash Rattle - Statement from Mitsu SA

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:30 pm

I received this communique from Mitsu SA in regard to an email I sent to them (via Braam Faul whom some of you will have met) some time back on the Gen4 dash rattle.
Hi Braam

The dash rattle problem was more known on Pajero models sold by MBSA.

MBSA developed internally a field fix to minimize dash rattling on badly corrugated roads, but this was only done on a customer complaint basis. The cost of this repair is very high and MBSA absorbed all the costs for this repair.

MBSA also discussed this with MMC Japan and Product Quality Reports was opened up by them on this issue. MMC Japan feedback was that the design of the Pajero dashboard is well within their manufacturing and design specifications.

I was personally involved in the design and development of this field fix, and in most cases I advised customers to keep the vehicle standard as it is. The field fix does not eliminate all the rattles and if the repair is not done correctly you might end up with more rattles than before. For this reason we try to steer away from this repair.

If some of the club members have concerns about dashboard rattles, they need to take the vehicle to one of our authorized workshop for an evaluation. The dealers then can ask us for technical assistance if needed.

Kind regards

Arrie Froehlich
Regional Service Manager
I suggest that anyone with this issue, and have not had joy from the dealers, please PM me and I will pass on the relevant contact details.

Simon Bloomer
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Re: Gen4 Dash Rattle - Statement from Mitsu SA

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Ah, this is very clear.

Take your car to the dealer. If he has ever heard of it and if he agrees and if he thinks it should be covered by the maint plan, then he can fix it by fitting the brackets.

NO, wait - fitting the brackets will make the dash rattle even more.

So here is the final answer:
Take your car to the dealer.

Us older fellers that dabbled in simple Basic programming in the 80' will immediately notice this endless loop.

"MMC Japan feedback was that the design of the Pajero dashboard is well within their manufacturing and design specifications"
Anybody that followed the Toyota Fortuner rollover saga on the 4x4 Community Forum, will recognise this sentence :evil:
ca
cacti

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:04 am

This is really an unfortunate response from MBSA. The only positive for me is that I now can focus my energy on finding a Land Cruiser since the Gen4 is now out of the question.
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:03 am

Cacti,

Here is my opinion:

Don't write off the Gen4 - maybe some are affected less than others. It isn't a fatal flaw that is going to drop you next to the road. Take potential Pajeros for a run and decide on the individual car as you test it.

Do your Land Cruiser research, but keep the Gen4 in the background.

In the price range of a Gen4, with a good few years of maint plan left, you are likely to find a 200 Cruiser that is some three to four years older and most probably 100k to 150k more kms on the clock.

For a similar age and km Prado (when compared to Pajero) you will pay R50k to R100k more. The Prado 150 isn't faultless by a long shot. The only advantage the Prado has on the Pajero is the dash build quality.

Can one put a Rand price on a dashboard rattle? Is it worth paying R50k to R100k more for "less" car, but with a rattle free dash?
ca
cacti

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:29 pm

I absolutely agree with you Roelf and you make very valid points. I have also considered living with the rattles, but I suppose "living with it" it depends on the person. Personally rattles drives me crazy, in fact it takes away the enjoyment of the drive for me. I’ve tried making peace with it on previous cars, but I find myself looking for and trying to fix rattles non-stop. I suppose in many ways it's more a weakness in me rather than the Pajero, but it makes us incompatible :( . In all other ways the Pajero is perfect for what I need. I have been a Pajero owner for many years; in fact I just sold my Gen2 Pajero that gave me wonderful service. The Gen2 was the most reliable car I have ever driven. I will miss a Pajero in my garage.

Because I love the Pajero brand so much I will however consider a 2006 Gen3 GLX with low km, but that's a rare find.
Lock
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 2002

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 am

What to do with my beloved Paj???
by sparks » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:12 pm

@ Sparks has a 2007 that he has to get rid of....
If you can feel the grass between your toe's, your flying too low!
3.5 GLS F/LIF 1998 Lost to the x wife
3200 Tdi GSL 2001 Written off
3200 Di-D 5Dr A/T 2002 338 000 Sold
3500i A/T 5Dr 2001 Sold
3.2 Di-Dc GLS A/T 2008
Jo
JohnG

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Gents,just to update.I did produce the bracket for the dash shake that made a difference but did not stop the shake completely.
I have now,after a long search found what i believe to be the 99% sure fix for the dash..I have also in the process found the reason for the rattle many have around the speedo cluster and cabbyhole.
Once i have tested my new dash shake fix properly i will let everyone in on how its done.My dash is finally as solid as it should be and the car feels and sounds sop much beter on bad roads
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Wow... a real scholar and a gentleman in our community. Thank you very much

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Forum Runner
ca
carlfin

Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:24 am

Has there been any progress in this regard ? I am a new member but bought my Pajero new in 2008 (GLS). Magnificent car but the rattle is unbearable. I only have 160 000 on the clock and would like to drive it still for a year or 2 but cannot with this rattle
I am in Pretoria
an
andrew.ashton

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:49 pm

carlfin wrote:Has there been any progress in this regard ? I am a new member but bought my Pajero new in 2008 (GLS). Magnificent car but the rattle is unbearable. I only have 160 000 on the clock and would like to drive it still for a year or 2 but cannot with this rattle
I am in Pretoria
Yup, there is a solution that had worked for just about all the Pajeros it has been applied to.

If you search the forum you should find the whole story, but the application of the solution is best done with the help of someone who has done it before.

So I suggest that you drop a PM to gerbek1 (Kurt) on this forum and ask if he can point you in the right direction.

Return to “Chassis, Bodywork, Trim & Interior”

Login · Register