Roof rack on standard rails of SWB

Ch
Chum

Roof rack on standard rails of SWB

Fri May 02, 2014 3:37 pm

I want o fit a roof rack on my 2009 SWB. I am reluctant to have my standard roof rails removed to fit a roof rack on after-market roof rails. I have had a closer look at he standard rails that the vehicle comes out with.
I am thinking of fitting an aluminium roof rack on these standard rails to carry 4 jerry cans and a spare wheel. In my opinion the standard roof rails seems to be very strong and actually have 3 fixing points to the roof over a short distance of the SWB.

Does anyone have any views or actual experience in putting a relatively heavy load on the standard roof rails of the SWB?

cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Re: Roof rack on standard rails of SWB

Sat May 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Chum,

Yes. The actual uprights (brackets holding the bars up) are plastic with zero metal support. They will carry the downward load/weight but be very careful for any sideways movement eg when swerving or up and down movement eg when going over speed bumps etc - eg "yomps".

What you can do is to replace the uprights with solid ally uprights. Somebody will have to cast them or machine them out of a solid piece of ally. I took the last route plus I added an extra set. So my roof rails have the front and back uprights plus 6 middle supports. I in all of the uprights we drilled and tapped 8mm holes and I use these holes to attach brackets and crossbars.

Cloyd
Ch
Chum

Mon May 05, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks Cloyd - That seems to be the way to go - especially if one have Van Zyl's in mind which will have a lot of sideways sway....
NormanArch
Vehicle: 2012 Pajero GLX LWB

Mon May 12, 2014 10:29 am

Hi Cloyd,

Your solution sounds great. Any chance of a photo or sketch of your uprights and roof-rack assembly? As I would like to do the same on my Gen4 GLX

regards
Norman Archibald
An
AndreEksteen

Sat May 24, 2014 8:12 am

image.jpg
Stupid, stupid, stupid, should have seen it breaking the roof
I tried the same option, machined a set of standard look alike rails from Alluminium and used Thule clamps to secure the rack to the new bars.
IT FAILED SPECTACULARLY!
With a spare and two Alluminium bridging ladders on the rack I done about 2000km of bad dirt roads, not off road, just dirt roads before the front support started to tear my roof open! Well I should have known better with that overhang....
Had to strip it down again, remove the look alike brackets and this time fix the damage before reinforcing my roof and fitting a set of Front Runner rails.
My opinion, and that of my wallet, it's not worth the effort at all. Go full length tracks or don't fit a rack at all.
Ps. Anyone looking for a set of Thule clamps and a set of Thule to Front Runner clamps. The rails are not for sale, because they will cause damage and I don't want to be blamed.
CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Sat May 24, 2014 8:29 am

Andre

Thanks for sharing. My business partner had the same on his Gen4.

I wonder if the Gen3 is any stronger than the Gen4 as I had my rack like this for many years now and many a bad dirt road with no problems. My rack is slightly shorter than yours though. Maybe that might explain it?

I did pick up a rattle on there recently and will probably look at going tracks because of all you guys feedback on the standard rails. It will always be a stronger option than the std rails, but mine has stood up well over the years.

CATS

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1400912984328.jpg
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Sat May 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Norman Arch, Andre Eksteen and Cats,

Sorry for not posting pictures but we - my daughter and I - have tried but to no avail. We can not get any pictures on the site. You are welcome to visit and inspect.

My roof rack with the solid ally supports (6) plus metal inserts in the front and rear supports have been all over. We toured Kaokoland and Damaraland plus Van Zyls pass plus crossing the Hartman mountains and STILL no problem either to the roof or the supports or the roof rack. During the Kaokoland/Damaraland and the rest I started of with the following on the roof rack:
Howling moon tent
100 litre additional fuel in a metel tank
A steel bin with chairs, stretchers and gas braai equipment in it.
Plus a wire nesh bin with braai wood.

Maybe I am lucky or my design is good.

Cloyd
Fi
Fires

Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Chum wrote:I want o fit a roof rack on my 2009 SWB. I am reluctant to have my standard roof rails removed to fit a roof rack on after-market roof rails. I have had a closer look at he standard rails that the vehicle comes out with. I am thinking of fitting an aluminium roof rack on these standard rails to carry 4 jerry cans and a spare wheel. In my opinion the standard roof rails seems to be very strong and actually have 3 fixing points to the roof over a short distance of the SWB. Does anyone have any views or actual experience in putting a relatively heavy load on the standard roof rails of the SWB?
Chum,

I recently fitted a Frontrunner roofrack on my 2013 SWB Pajero. The standard rails can support max 100 kg. I chose to go for the option of the removable roofrack as I plan to carry only jerrycans, spade and gasbottel and 1 or 2 ammo boxes with no heavy stuff packed in them. The reason for for this is to remove the rack to save on fuel cosumption when not needed. I have just completed a trip through Botswana, Moremi and Caprivi without any hassles. The guys at Frontrunner in Midrand near Kyalami were very helpfull. Frontrunner has developed a new permanent bracket which they were willing to do on my Pajero, using it as a prototype for future brackets as they did not yet made one for the SWB. All I had to do, is leave my car at their factory for a few days. They were willing to make the brackets free of charge, using my Pajero as prototype.

Fires
irish
Vehicle: 1999 Pajero swb 3500 v6 Blister

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:10 am

Hey Fires
Did you get your brackets yet? wouldn't mind seeing them? im inheriting a roof rack and im thinking of attaching it to my Factory roof rails, on my 2002 SWB 3.5 gen3, any photos? or do I have to go to my favourite shop! frontrunner in kyalami! and see what they come up with.
Irishman
Fi
Fires

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:43 am

irish wrote:Hey Fires Did you get your brackets yet? wouldn't mind seeing them? im inheriting a roof rack and im thinking of attaching it to my Factory roof rails, on my 2002 SWB 3.5 gen3, any photos? or do I have to go to my favourite shop! frontrunner in kyalami! and see what they come up with. Irishman

Irish, Give Frontrunner Kyalami a visit. I am sure they will have the solution for your problem.

Return to “Chassis, Bodywork, Trim & Interior”

Login · Register