Automatic Aerial Advice needed

A.
A.B

Automatic Aerial Advice needed

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Good day guys.
Im new here and in the first week of driving my "new" 2006 Pajero GLX I forgot about the automatic aerial and bent it. Tried to bend back and it cracked. Inner part is still fine and radio working.
Can anyone advise me on repairing this? Can I only buy the outer part of aerial? Only at the stealers? Cost?
Or is it better to replace with another type of aerial?

Ive read Bigwills fix to fully retract aerial while driving so it will be done as soon as new aerial is fitted.

Ro
RoelfleRoux

Re: Automatic Aerial Advice needed

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:19 pm

Oops...
Best get some quotes first from the dealers as well as spares outlets. Quite a few guys over the years have opted for the cheap whip-type version.

Sent from my GT-I9305
cloyd
Vehicle: Pajero GLS

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:58 pm

A.B,

You can buy a new mast from the stealers and fit it yourself. Easy job. Cost a few years ago: ±R450,00. If you go this way, I would advise that you fit an extra aerial switch that will enable you to keep the aerial retracted whilst the radio/CD player is still "ON". I have gone this way and it works well.

Cloyd
allandell
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2DiD LWB AT

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Is there no way to change the way the current switch brings the ariel down. Ie can we modify the current switch to bring the ariel all the way in or all the way out?
Nick Gibson
Vehicle: 2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB (AKA Pedro 2.0)

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:37 pm

allandell wrote:Is there no way to change the way the current switch brings the ariel down. Ie can we modify the current switch to bring the ariel all the way in or all the way out?
Yes there is and I have done the mod to both my pajeros, you simply cut one of the wires in the back of the switch to make the half mast aerial setting completely retract itself. Full mast works as normal.

Pink and yellow or green wire I think, but not sure. Do a search, someone already did the hard work to figure out which wire to cut...

Sent from somewhere in a galaxy far, far away...
Nicholas Gibson

2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD Auto LWB
Mods:
ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 with EGT, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen
A.
A.B

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Ive sent the stealers in Rustenburg an email requesting a quote but 4 days later havent had a reply. Guess ill have to drive there to get service :oops:
Ive read the article on the mod to fully retract aerial so will do that as soon as I get a new aerial.
Nick Gibson

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:51 am

Here is the link to the original post, with the method below as per Bigwill for those who are interested. I think it is one of the easier mods to do on a pajero to sort out a simple design issue/flaw (IMHO) from Mitsubishi.

Here: https://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=304

"This is how I disabled the Gen 3 aerial option “halfway extended” by disconnecting only one wire that is the green wire with a red ribbon line on the side at the back of the aerial switch. Instead this position on the switch can now be used to ensure the aerial stays fully retracted when driving through thick bush with the radio on CD.

1. Using a small screwdriver unclip the small rectangular trim panel housing the aerial switch, the seat warmer switches and the skid control switch. This is best done by levering with the small screwdriver along the bottom edge of the trim panel once on each side about one centimeter from the corner of the panel.
2. With the panel removed identify a green wire with a red ribbon line along the side at the back of the aerial switch and disconnect this wire by cutting it a distance away from the switch so to allow for reconnection should you so desire in future. This wire can also be identified as the only wire in one side of the two column connection block to the aerial switch. The other side has four connections.
3. Tape up the loose wires to avoid any possible shorting although this is very unlikely.
4. Clip the trim panel back into position. Now your aerial switch will select full extension or no extension at all."
Nicholas Gibson

Mods:
ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 with EGT, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

He
Herman 6609

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:17 am

I buy the cd aerial and fit a radio plug.Radio work beter with it
Nick Gibson

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Herman 6609 wrote:I buy the cd aerial and fit a radio plug.Radio work beter with it
Hi Herman. Please be more specific in your posts, I am not sure what the "CD aerial" is that you are referring too? What makes it better, where do you get it, how much does it cost, how does it work? Pictures would be great!

Sent from somewhere in a galaxy far, far away...
Nicholas Gibson

Mods:

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

allandell
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2DiD LWB AT

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:08 pm

This is brilliant. Took me a whole 1 minute and problem sorted with half retract problem. Now ariel goes all the way. Yay

Return to “Chassis, Bodywork, Trim & Interior”

Login · Register