Dash fix. What a great experience

ab
abre

Re: Dash fix. What a great experience

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:38 am

Hi, I am new to this forum and own a 2007 LWB DID which I bought new. I would like to have the dash fix done. Is there anybody who can do this in the Cape Town area? My contact number 082 658 1022. Thanks, Abré

KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm

abre wrote:Hi, I am new to this forum and own a 2007 LWB DID which I bought new. I would like to have the dash fix done. Is there anybody who can do this in the Cape Town area? My contact number 082 658 1022. Thanks, Abré
Message sent. Regards, Kurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
WCS
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2 Di-Dc GLS Exceed LWB A/T

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:40 am

Apologies for my late response John.

I definitely find that the new model feels a lot tighter, solid and quiter inside the cabin than the previous ones I owned, but the dash movement is definitely still there. Thank for your suggestions. I still need to find some time to go see Kurt, but we’ll certainly discuss your suggestions when I go see him with my car.

Wilhelm
IanH
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB GLS

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi akieviet, Curly, and WCS.

akieviet - Apologies for my delayed reply to your post. Many thanks for your good words. Much appreciated. I'm thrilled it has worked so well for you.

Curly - Thanks to you too. I'm glad you mentioned that a significant amount of the 5 hours we spent together was spent socializing and chatting about our trips, our Pajeros and equipment fitted etc, and mutual friends. I got an amusing chirpy sms from Kurt at the time of your post, regarding the 5 hours we spent together.

WCS - Like Kurt and John, I too have worked on a few newer models, and find their clips and dashboard fittings to be significantly tighter, therefore harder to work with and a bit more nervous sweat when prying them loose. Not impossible however. Two of them were 2015's or newer, and on both occasions both the owners and I independently first checked with the local Mitsu dealers before going ahead. Both the owners and I were told that it would not affect the warranty etc, and we went ahead.
On another occasion I was asked by a salesman at my local Mitsu dealer whether I could do a dash fix for a farmer friend of his, at the dealership. The farmers wife would bring the Pajero into town early that morning, I would do the dash fix during the morning, and the Pajero would go into the workshop at 12:00 for it's service. Due to liability issues etc, I was not allowed to work on it in their workshop, so ended up doing the dash fix with the Pajero parked just outside the workshop door in their parking area. The workshop manager came and stuck his head in quite frequently, to see what I was doing. When I asked him about it, he confirmed that nothing he had seen me do would affect the warranty or maintenance plan in any way. I got the impression that they were aware that there was an issue with the dash, and were privately happy that someone (JohnG) had come up with an affordable solution. I have since had a couple referrals from them, with them just passing my number on to the affected owner.

Interestingly, I was contacted directly by the farmer a few days later, to say that he was very unhappy with the dash fix, as I had not fixed the rattle. Rattle? What rattle? I had not spoken to the farmer myself about the dash fix, (lesson learnt), and the salesman (my contact) hadn't mentioned anything, so I was unaware of a rattle. To keep the customer happy, a week later I drove 100kms up the West Coast out to his farm, and re-opened the dash for free. Had a look inside and could find nothing that could cause a rattle, so with the dash still open, we took his Pajero for a drive on his farm road. Within a 100m I could hear it, a very bad and loud rattle in the left front corner of his dash. The little light bulb went on above my head, as I remembered a story a previous dash fix customer (I think it was my 1st) had shared with me. I asked the farmer to stop and open his bonnet, and I went straight to the fuel filter bracket. It was completely loose and could be rattled by hand. Because he drove on his bad farm roads every single day, his firewall had cracked in a star pattern where the fuel filter bracket mounting bolts were, causing the loud rattle. He undertook to have it welded, and I haven't heard from him since.
The moral being, if any of you are experiencing rattles in the left front of your dash, check your fuel filter bracket under the bonnet first before thinking it's the dash. If you find play on it, then temporarily stick a block of sponge between the fuel filter and the firewall and drive it to see if that stops the rattle that you hear. If so, repair as you choose.

IanH
08two49two351two
Cape Town.
KurtG

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Interesting story Ian, thanks for sharing. It sounds like you’re enjoying your retirement pastime fixing Pajero’s

- Kurt
IanH
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB GLS

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi Kurt

That I am, and meeting lots of interesting people (fellow Pajero owners) along the way.

Thanks again to you and JohnG for teaching me how to do this.

IanH.
Wi
Willem van Wyk

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:38 am

So Ian H came to my office - during office hours. I could not offer him a beer.

Not to discuss the convenience of the arrangement we had, but the overall experience of my car post the fix is so far, remarkable.

Also not sure if Mitsubishi is aware of the damage it is doing to its own brand by not acknowledging that there is/was a design flaw - but I am driving a different car thanks to passionate Mitsubishi privateers.

Thank you to all involved in the design of the fix, and to Ian H who meticulously dismantled my car's dash, as if it was his own. And then placed everything back, without any bits lying around.

Happy, and cannot wait for June/July when we explore Nam again.

Beste
W
KurtG

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks for sharing your experience Willem

- Kurt
saltydog

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Good to hear that!
I've just been in contact with Ian, this morning, to have mine done later in the year.

Well done, so glad to hear the problem can be solved!!
Enduroguy
Vehicle: 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB Auto

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 am

KurtG please could you send me your number I would like to get my dash rattle sorted. Gary 083 283 1869

Return to “Chassis, Bodywork, Trim & Interior”

Login · Register