Indicator fuse keeps blowing

plouw
Vehicle: SWB Pajero 3.2 DiD 2008

Indicator fuse keeps blowing

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Last week I installed a National Luna portable power pack to run my fridge. All was working fine. This weekend after driving terribly corrugated gravel roads (almost losing my dash in the process) and having to jumpstart a Toyota, my battery light starting showing on the dash. I initially thought my alternator had gone after the jump, but the alternator works fine. After closer inspection I realised the 20A fuse (circled in red) was blown. It runs from the battery's positive terminal. After a while I realised my indicators had gone too. Whenever I replace either one of these two fuses, and use my indicators, they both blow. See white circled plug, I can not figure out if this plug needs to be plugged in anywhere. Could perhaps have shaken loose on the bad road?
Attachments
fuse.jpg
fuse

an
andrew.ashton

Re: Indicator fuse keeps blowing

Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 pm

The fuse circled in red looks like something that has been added aftermarket (spots, auxiliary power outlet, aux fuel tank fuel transfer pump, ...?).

What has been aftermarket?

Not sure about the grey plug, sorry.

I do know that if you are towing it is very easy to blow OEM flasher fuse - caravan hazards + car hazards + car brake lights + caravan brake lights - goodbye fuse.
LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:47 pm

It could be that the fitment centre took the "Ignition On" sensing for the National Luna system from your indicator circuit somehow and that a fault has now developed (loose wire?)

I would take it back to them to check out.
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow
plouw

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Now after more than a year of working fine, this problem has returned. The indicators keep blowing the fuses.
I've narrowed it down to the right side of the vehicle, it only blows when indicating right or when hazards are on. Removed the trailer plug and the front and back globes. Whenever I indicate right, even without engine on, it blows the fuse. Help please.

(This happened before i started with the dash fix)
plouw

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:08 am

Problem solved. The jack that sits in the back was loose and damaged some wires.
ma
macjohnw

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:42 am

Plouw, what jack are you referring to please?

I drove through some shallow storm water in town a week or so ago and since then my indicator fuse also keeps blowing. The warning lights on my dash comes on and flickers when I try to use the indicators or hazards. Checked the tow plug and splicing twice already - nada.
plouw

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:51 am

Macjohnw, in the boot space of the vehicle, on the right hand side, there is that space to keep your hydraulic lift jack. Mine was not well secured and from rattling around a bit, chafed through the wiring going to the indicator.
ma
macjohnw

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:04 am

Thanks Plouw, I had a look and mine seems fine. Took the car to a good autoelec today as I cant find or see the problem.

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”

Login · Register