Alternator light

Hu
Hugen0408

Alternator light

Sat May 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Dear All.
I had my Pajero lwb 1998 3.5 6G74 overhauled at a cost of R26,500.
When i collected the vehicle 3 days ago from the work shop. The second day whilst driving slow or when idle the alternator light come on. I really have to take off at high revs in order for the battery light to go out on the dash.
Now the 3rd day the battery light stay on a dim ( not bright )

The battery is about 4 months old, so that part I think I will close out?
The current alternator is about 12 months old.
I checked under the bonnet/hood for any loose connections.
Nothing I could find. The only loose wire is a flat braided copper wire with a round lug that's hanging loose. But I do not know where it suppose to come.
Can this loose wire be the reason my alternator or battery light stay?

Please can anyone give me some advise on this matter?

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Re: Alternator light

Sun May 21, 2017 7:31 am

Not sure on that loose wire but are you sure the battery is just not a bit flat? How long did the overhaul take? Might be that your battery needs a good charge from an outside charger or a very long drive after it stood so long. The alternator might not be up to the task to get it totally full after such a long stand and tapering off period.

I would give the battery a good charge with an external charger and then drive it again for a few days to see if the alternator can sustain the battery.

Post a photo of that loose wire also and someone with similar model can check theirs.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
Hu
Hugen0408

Sun May 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Dear Cats.
Thank you for your input.
The Technician/Mechanic came round my house yesterday (Saturday) afternoon after I sent him the same message via wattsapp. He explained that the engine overhaul he did himself and feel he needs to tend to the problem.

He attached the loose braided wire to the Paj body under the hood.
We had to jump start the vehicle due to a lack of battery power.
After start up the alternator light dissappear.
We idled the vehicle for no less than 20 minutes, while Steve Technician enjoy a beer and admire the M3 in my garage.
After a few minutes more the Mechanic switched the vehicle engine off, in order to restart and check if all is ok.

He switched the Pajero engine off and restart again. The battery take charge very fast I have to admit.
But upon restart ( not jump start) the the alternator light shines bright on the dash again. Even with picking up the rpm to 2500 the light just go to a dim but stay lit.

He explained that it's best I take the car to the auto electrician on Monday. Because it might be that the alternator bushes or brushes is worned.

I have so much money in this car. I strongly believe the same with you Gents, in my situation an upgrade or a change of brand is not an option now.
I purchased a alternator for my sons Colt club cab 3000 v6 a few months ago at a cost of R2,800 at Surburban spares.
Maybe I should think of going that route?
I am really frustrated by now.
I must admit after the overhaul lifters valve stem seals etc etc the machine sounds BEAUTIFUL.

I am going on a tour to Namibia by the end of year I hope the vehicle will up my confidence by than.
My family are sceptical to do this with the Pajero.

They already bite me all the time. Like. Dad, why don't you just add the Pajero onto our Medical Aid :D

I will follow your idea and put the battery on a slow charge for 2 hours.
If that don't bring us joy,
I will give it a shot at the Auto electrician Tuesday.
I hope it is something small and not major costs.
Once again thank you for your input and advise. It is highly appreciated.

Hugen
Hu
Hugen0408

Sun May 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Apologies I meant slow charge 24 hours

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”

Login · Register