2006 Gen 3 3.2 Starter Motor Troubles

noggin
Vehicle: Pajero 2006 3.2 DiD GLS (Gen3)

2006 Gen 3 3.2 Starter Motor Troubles

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi All

Thought I'd just share my journey on this issue...

About 4 or 5 days ago, I noticed my baby taking time to start. Cold, hot, not difference. I initially thought battery, but I replaced that about 6 months ago. I then did some weeding and found some folk sharing similar symptoms.

Anyway, it got progressively worse (slower cranking speed, more cranks before start) until this morning it turned over twice, then stopped, then never turned again.

Being an automatic, I was not keen for a tow, so I bricked her up and removed the starter (took about an hour - it's quite tight under there). Here's what I did:

Disconnected the negative battery terminal.
Raised her front left wheel only (on bricks, nice and solid, flat surface)
Snuck under and removed the cover plate (6-off 14mm A/F bolts)
Removed two bolts holding the autobox dipstick in place (1-off 12mm A/F and 1-off 14mm A/F)
Removed two bolts holding the starter motor in place (2-off 14mm A/F)
Removed the STARTER terminal wire, and the POSITIVE terminal wire (this is why you disconnect the negative battery terminal - to prevent shorts when connecting positive to chassis by mistake)
Starter came out golden. I did some prelim tests as per the workshop book, but it needed a hammer knock or two to kick the pinion out when connecting S to + and M to - (with the motor field winding now disconnected from the solenoid).

Anyway, the starter is with the auto electrician now for assessment.

I will keep you updated. Let me know if I've missed anything.

noggin
Vehicle: Pajero 2006 3.2 DiD GLS (Gen3)

Re: 2006 Gen 3 3.2 Starter Motor Troubles

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:35 am

noggin wrote:Hi All

Thought I'd just share my journey on this issue...

About 4 or 5 days ago, I noticed my baby taking time to start. Cold, hot, not difference. I initially thought battery, but I replaced that about 6 months ago. I then did some weeding and found some folk sharing similar symptoms.

Anyway, it got progressively worse (slower cranking speed, more cranks before start) until this morning it turned over twice, then stopped, then never turned again.

Being an automatic, I was not keen for a tow, so I bricked her up and removed the starter (took about an hour - it's quite tight under there). Here's what I did:

Disconnected the negative battery terminal.
Raised her front left wheel only (on bricks, nice and solid, flat surface)
Snuck under and removed the cover plate (6-off 14mm A/F bolts)
Removed two bolts holding the autobox dipstick in place (1-off 12mm A/F and 1-off 14mm A/F)
Removed two bolts holding the starter motor in place (2-off 14mm A/F)
Removed the STARTER terminal wire, and the POSITIVE terminal wire (this is why you disconnect the negative battery terminal - to prevent shorts when connecting positive to chassis by mistake)
Starter came out golden. I did some prelim tests as per the workshop book, but it needed a hammer knock or two to kick the pinion out when connecting S to + and M to - (with the motor field winding now disconnected from the solenoid).

Anyway, the starter is with the auto electrician now for assessment.

I will keep you updated. Let me know if I've missed anything.
Ok so here's an update and the case is closed.

Rosmead Auto Electrical (Claremont, Cape Town) were pretty quick to overhaul the starter. I dropped it off at 4pm and collected it the following morning st 9am. Cost about R750 to replace the brushes and machine the commutator. They didnt tinker with the solenoid or reduction gearbox. They told me it was testing fine on the bench.

Anyway, I refitted it (which was far easier than initially removing it) and yhe problem is sorted.

In fact, my baby has never started so quickly as long as i have had her. I dont even think she turns one complete cycle before coming alive. Amazing.

Considering the criticality of the starter (for an automatic) and the simplicity in repairing it, I'd recommend an overhaul every 150000km, just to replace the brushes and clean up the motor box.

Mine conked at 175000km but had I known that a Paj needs half a turn to come alive, I would have seen it coming. I suppose the expected life depends on the number of starter cranks and whether the diesel filter gets carefully changed or not.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ni
Nigel B

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:27 am

I had the exact same issue and approached the dealers for a replacement, R18,000 for a new one. Ha ha, are they smoking their socks. Mine was reconditioned and replaced for R2000 and going strong again.
vanasp
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 Diesel 2006 LWB

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:53 pm

The starter often gets diesel poured into it during service when they replace the diesel filter and dont care where the diesel ends up.

I had to do a bush repair on an 83-year old mans Pajero at night in Mana Pools with all sorts of wild life wanting to assist me. Luckily my wife and friends stood gaurd around the car having the odd drink but stopping lions and Hyenas bitting my feet sticking out from under the car. I had never done the job before and found getting the bolts loose on the starter motor was the most difficult. I found that his brushes were totally worn out and had to extend them with some wood just to get him bach to Harare where we could get new brushes.

I have since found out that you get a special starter motor spanner which makes life a lot easier (see picture)
Starter motor spanner 01.jpg
Starter motor spanner 01.jpg (14.67 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
I agree rather do the starter motor service at your leisure than in the bush.

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”

Login · Register