Battery Problems - Gen 3 Pajero DiD

Kennekam
Vehicle: 2005 Paejero GSL LWB DiD

Battery Problems - Gen 3 Pajero DiD

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:20 pm

My Gen 3 Pajero DiD seems to have a strange set of problems. Perhaps they are related.

1. The battery, oil level, A/T Temp and water trap light stays on for quite a while after pulling off in the mornings. They sometimes flash briefly when driving, other times when coming to a stop. No other symptoms.

2. Twice this year the battery could not turn the motor. The National Luna (NL) dual battery controller showed that the main battery was totally flat. I could start the car by linking the two batteries, but minutes later the display showed that the main battery was fully charged again.

3. At times the NL alarm comes on when driving showing that the main battery is flat, but the car starts easily. I have now disconnected the alarm.

I have replaced both batteries and and had the charging system checked out by Delco. But the problem still remains. What do you think it is?

2005 Pajero GLS LWB DiD
Geolander AT/S, FrontRunner roofrack, OME, dual-battery
Nikon D4, 500VR
Tr
TracyCampbell

Re: Battery Problems - Gen 3 Pajero DiD

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:23 pm

I have exactly the same problem with my Pajero DID (2005). When it was still under the motor plan, they told me that I needed a new wiring harness at Mitsubishi but would have to order one from Japan - needless to say it never arrived and then was out of motor plan. I have replaced my alternator and that worked for a year or so but the same problem has come back. Would be great to know if anyone else has the same problem and managed to resolve it.

Have also replaced my battery a few times because of this.
Lock
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 2002

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:59 am

My friend with a Patrol had the same problem. Finally traced to a bad connection somewhere between the battery and the rest of the electrics. Start at the battery and check / clean each connection point. If I remember correctly, his was due to a painted washer acting as an intermittent circuit breaker :)
If you can feel the grass between your toe's, your flying too low!
3.5 GLS F/LIF 1998 Lost to the x wife
3200 Tdi GSL 2001 Written off
3200 Di-D 5Dr A/T 2002 338 000 Sold
3500i A/T 5Dr 2001 Sold
3.2 Di-Dc GLS A/T 2008
Kennekam
Vehicle: 2005 Paejero GSL LWB DiD

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:43 am

Ended up being the regulator. Had the alternator refurbished at the same time .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2005 Pajero GLS LWB DiD
Geolander AT/S, FrontRunner roofrack, OME, dual-battery
Nikon D4, 500VR
Bushworker
Vehicle: Gen 2 Pajero 2.8 GLS SWB TDi

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Had the same issue on my Gen 2: Battery light, Water Trap and Low level oil light came on and stayed on. My Paj was due for a service so I decided like an idiot to take it to the Dealer (East Rand Mitsu) to see if they could solve for me.
They phoned me and told me they think the alternator is faulty and gave me a quote for new one!! R27,335-80
After my recovery from a mild heart strain I politely refused.

When I went to pick up the car they told me they also had no stock of the air filter, but when I checked my bill they had charged me for it. I queried this and went to check my vehicle - I mark all my filters prior to servicing.
Then they supposedly found the air filter and the parts guy and service guy had a few words at each other to try and determine who's to blame.
Mitu had also depleted whatever power was in the battery so the car had to be jump started so I could leave the premises. Great service!!!

So I got home early from work on Friday so I could strip down the alternator. And there it was - a simple dry joint on the armature wire. Heated up the soldering iron and fixed the issue with minimal cost and reassembled and re-installed in under an 1 hour. Cost from my bank account = R0-00.

As a side note I got quotes fro the R250K service from other approved RMI Service centres for just over R2k but paid the "experts" at East Rand Mitsu R4,418-15 for this same service.
Labour cost = R680/h
Consumables = R150
Oil 9.8 lt = R872.20
Air Filter = R875.80
Drain plug = R71.30
Washer for drain plug =R10.50
Sonax windscreen washer fluid = R13.50
Oil filter = R148-65
2000 Pajero SWB 2800 Tdi GLS

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”

Login · Register