Gen 3 3.5l Fuel Pump not getting voltage when cranking

ma
mastermind

Gen 3 3.5l Fuel Pump not getting voltage when cranking

Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 pm

HI Guys

I have a Pajero Gen3 3.5l LWB which does not start after standing for about 15min ( this is the stuck stage) . It it will start after quite abit of cranking in the first 15min of stopping. It also starts fine after standing for a couple of hours.

I found there was no fuel coming to the fuel rail, so I checked for Voltage to the Fuel pump. When I swing the engine there is no Voltage when its in the stuck stage.

In the first 15min there is initially no voltage to the pump when swinging/cranking the engine and then after cranking for abit longer, voltage appears at about 9v. ( the battery reads 12 to 13v) and then the Pajero will start.

I did not check voltage when it starts on first swing when left for a few hours.

The engine light does not come on so I am assuming this is not due to a cam or crank sensor, could I be wrong?

Any clues what could cause this? maybe a relay?

Any help faulting finding this will be appreciated.

I registered here many years ago and have had no issues with my Pajero so this is my first post I think. May have posted about an HBB problem I had a while back which I fixed, rather than replaced.
I have had my Pajero for about 17 years and it has 350k on the clock. I recently used it to tow my Mitsu Evo the the Knysna Hillclimb from CPT so once the Pajero starts there is no loss of power or any signs of any failures. Family says time to trade it in but I love it too much :D

Cheers Shane

ma
mastermind

Re: Gen 3 3.5l Fuel Pump not getting voltage when cranking

Thu May 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi Guys

Just some feedback on the issue I had, looks like I didn't have the probe properly connected when testing for voltage to the pump when cranking (joys of trying to do this alone) a friend, Mike from SMT AWD Builds came over for drink and we tested it together and found it was getting power. As this problem was intermittent we took the car for a drive and let it stand a bit until it gave the problem.

Mike, taped the pump with the 4 pound (we had nothing to lose :) ) and the fuel pump kicked in. Replaced the pump with a universal Bosch pump (the filter it came with didnt fit the Pajero so we cleaned and used the old filter) and for the past day or so my baby is running fine.

Moral of the story, always invite a friend over for a beer when you need to fix your car.

Cheers

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”

Login · Register