Brake booster Gen 3 pajero

Nick Gibson
Vehicle: 2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB (AKA Pedro 2.0)

Brake booster Gen 3 pajero

Sat May 03, 2014 10:29 am

Hi guys. I have a problem with my Pajero, my wife took it to work and it started making a 'funny noise'.

Had a look today and the brake fluid reservoir was all cloudy with fine bubbles and when pressing the brake hard, also the ABS light came on with an alarm buzzer at the dash. I drained the brake fluid and replaced with new, and same problem persists. The "funny sound" sounds like oil bypassing a pressure relief valve in the booster itself.

Any ideas where to look? I had the booster recall done at mitsubishi 2 years ago as well.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Nicholas Gibson

2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD Auto LWB
Mods:
ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 with EGT, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen
Nick Gibson

Re: Brake booster Gen 3 pajero

Sun May 04, 2014 11:14 am

OK so I did a bit work on the paj last night and this morning.

I took the whole hydraulic brake booster assembly out of the Pajero today and looked at the power piston seals and master cylinder. All good, no pitting or rust and seal in perfect condition.

After that checked out I looked at the high pressure nitrogen filled accumulator, it has a bladder filled with nitrogen to store braking pressure generated by pump. This was replaced under a factory recall 2 years ago at mitsubishi. If the bladder fails this could cause all the small bubbles in the reservoir on pressing the brakes and the noise I am experiencing under braking.

I will now try to see if I can claim another accumulator from mitsubishi, failing that u will try to source a second hand one out of a breakers yard. New ones are hellishly expensive.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399194732373.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399194756450.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399194779890.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399194795311.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399194812605.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399194827770.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1399194827770.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399194812605.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399194795311.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399194779890.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399194756450.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399194732373.jpg
Nicholas Gibson

Mods:
ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 with EGT, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

Nick Gibson

Sun May 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Haven't had much time to post recently, but just some feedback. I couldn't claim for a new accumulator from mitsubishi as it was out of it 6 month warranty. Bought a new one for R2017.00, took all of 5 mins to fit and torque correctly, bleeding the brakes was another matter though.

There is a very specific step by step protocol to follow to bleed the HBB (hydraulic brake booster) and brake lines, as I had removed it completely and drained all the brake fluid to check out the master cylinder seals. It took me 2 liters of brake fluid and 2 hours to bleed the system (I has to remove the wheels to access the bleed nipple). All that I couldn't do was manually cycle the ABS system to clear the the air out in that section with the MUT II scantool, so all I did was find a patch of gravel and do an emergency stop to activate and thus cycle the ABS.

All on all I am disappointed that the recall accumulator only lasted 2 years, but will monitor the new one. In a positive note, the slight shudder I had on the rear brake has disappeared.

Nicholas Gibson

Mods:

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Mon May 26, 2014 9:11 pm

Glad you got it sorted. Hope my unit lasts a little longer than two years as I can do with a bit of hassle free driving for a change.

Thanks for the detailed feedback and pics. Really made for somw interesting reading.

CATS

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
Nick Gibson

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Just some more feedback. I had some time and was curious as to what the inside of the accumulator looked like, so I cut it open... I first drilled a hole to release the residual pressure (and there was none) as per service manual and then cut it open along the seam with a grinder, it is quite solid as the steel is about 8mm thick. Here are the pics.

If you look carefully you can see the tear the rubber diaphragm.

uploadfromtaptalk1401652927314.jpg
The last pic I have inverted the diaphragm to show the tear more clearly.

I am sure a hydraulic supply company could make one up to suit as they are used extensively on machinery running high pressure hydraulics. Will make some calls today to see if it is possible/feasable.

Last edited by Nick Gibson on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Gibson

Mods:

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

CATS
Vehicle: 2001(Gen3) Pajero 3.2 Did, 2008(Gen4) Pajero Did

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:27 pm

But how would you get a replacement diaphragm in there? Or am I just 'dof'?

CATS

2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS (Gen4) - Casper (Starting to grow on me)
2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb GLS Manual (Gen3) - Snoopy (SOLD but not forgotten)
2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc Lwb GLS Auto (Gen4) - Silvester (SOLD)
Nick Gibson

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:36 pm

CATS wrote:But how would you get a replacement diaphragm in there? Or am I just 'dof'?

CATS

HI Cats

Sorry I wasn't that clear in my post, I meant a whole replacement accumulator.
Hydraulic companies actually make/supply some that are serviceable for large machines in order to equalise/stabilise hydraulic pressure spikes in the system. They can possibly supply an accumulator that the diaphragm can be replaced and the nitrogen recharged. Not sure what sphere sizes and what size and pitch the thread to the inlet can be supplied.
Accumulator.gif
Typical accumulator
Accumulator.gif (14.68 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
This is a serviceable accumulator.
I am not all that sure if it would be a cost effective solution, perhaps long term? I also wonder if it is a general/common fault with these vehicles, if it is a once off then it would not be worth all the effort.
Nicholas Gibson

Mods:

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

mhlangaronald
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 DiD Gen 3 LWB

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:31 am

Hi Nick,

I have a similar problem with the accumulator on my 2004 LWB Pajero DiD. Would you remember where you bought yours. I have communicated with Mitsu dealers in Joburg with no success. Im based in Zimbabwe.
Nick Gibson wrote:
Sun May 25, 2014 8:56 pm
Haven't had much time to post recently, but just some feedback. I couldn't claim for a new accumulator from mitsubishi as it was out of it 6 month warranty. Bought a new one for R2017.00, took all of 5 mins to fit and torque correctly, bleeding the brakes was another matter though.

There is a very specific step by step protocol to follow to bleed the HBB (hydraulic brake booster) and brake lines, as I had removed it completely and drained all the brake fluid to check out the master cylinder seals. It took me 2 liters of brake fluid and 2 hours to bleed the system (I has to remove the wheels to access the bleed nipple). All that I couldn't do was manually cycle the ABS system to clear the the air out in that section with the MUT II scantool, so all I did was find a patch of gravel and do an emergency stop to activate and thus cycle the ABS.

All on all I am disappointed that the recall accumulator only lasted 2 years, but will monitor the new one. In a positive note, the slight shudder I had on the rear brake has disappeared.

Return to “Suspension, Steering and Brakes”