Long towbar + Explorer

Gryskoos
Vehicle: 2000 Blister 3.5 V6

Re: Long towbar + Explorer

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:01 pm

RoelfleRoux wrote:and a wash :o
Roelfie, I did bath her but she likes her dust........
Attachments
CIMG4399.jpg
2000 Pajero 3.5 V6 (sold) Will miss her for always
2010 GLX 3.2 (Big shoes to full)
RoelfleRoux
Vehicle: 2008 3.8V6 LWB Pajero

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:47 pm

Ha. Cool

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
LowRange
Vehicle: Gen 4 GLX LWB

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:37 am

mplester wrote:The Bosal tow bar can handle a vertical load of 150kg when at its longest adjustment point, which is more than enough for your Xplorer. However in Aus you can purchase a bracket that lifts the spare wheel by 25mm. This is good for 2 options. 1 you can now open the tailgate with the van hitched up. 2 you can move the hitch in on the adjustment
My xplorer pushes a 150kg scale past its max before lifting the jockey wheel off the ground! :shock: This is before anything is packed!

I have walked away from buying a Gen 4 now on a number off occasions when I see the contraptions fitted at the back for tow bars!

Has anybody fitted one of these spare wheel lifting brackets together with a proper tow bar that can maybe post some pics here?
Johan
Gen 4 GLX 30th Anniversary Edition (Gravel :mrgreen: )
VW Tiguan 2.0TDi (Tar ;))
RoelfleRoux

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Johan,

I have a pretty standard towbar and have hooked up an old heavy Jurgens and currently tow a Echo Chobe caravan. I have no problem hooking up or towing those contraptions.
Bigwill
Vehicle: 2004 Pajero 3.2 DID SWB

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:40 pm

LowRange mentioned:
My xplorer pushes a 150kg scale past its max before lifting the jockey wheel off the ground! :shock: This is before anything is packed!
Now as braking makes the nose go down, imagine the download force on the towbar when the caravan's brakes are engaged and on top of that you may still go through a bump. These things must be awfully strong.
Willie from Jo'burg
White Gen 3 SWB Pajero 3.2 DID
Gryskoos
Vehicle: 2000 Blister 3.5 V6

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Boys, please don't make me nervous. I had the towbar attache points welded stronger by a reputable (I hope) place in N1 motor city, CTN. It looks strong enough but will somebody with a gen 4 go and play with some crash test dummies and report back? :D

I am an accountant and a gen 4 newbie so obviously I know very little.
2000 Pajero 3.5 V6 (sold) Will miss her for always
2010 GLX 3.2 (Big shoes to full)
mplester
Vehicle: pajero

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:46 am

For a towbar to receive its sabs stamp of app it must complete 1 million cycles on an mts machine. This is to test vertical loading and check for cracks etc. This test is extremely strenuous, so you can feel safe if your bar is sabs approved.
I tested my Xplorer on the rti weight bridge, fully loaded with water tank full, the nose was 138kg and the total weight just over 1600kg.
Arnie
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2DiD

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:25 am

I have an older Bosal detachable unit on my 09 GLX. it has handled some pretty heavy going so far with my Conqueror conquest over rough and corrugated roads in the Transkei. recently had it checked and all looks OK so far. Bosal are brilliant though. I called to ask about the amount of play in my detachable extension piece which on my unit is severe. they seem very happy to invite one out to Pretoria and check the unit out. I am going on Friday.

regards the bottoming out of the caravan nose, best investment so far for me have been air bags in the rear coils to level the back under load and for more comfort when towing
2009 3.3DiD GLX
2008 Conqueror Conquest
Plod
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 Auto

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:40 am

Arnie wrote:I have an older Bosal detachable unit on my 09 GLX. it has handled some pretty heavy going so far with my Conqueror conquest over rough and corrugated roads in the Transkei. recently had it checked and all looks OK so far. Bosal are brilliant though. I called to ask about the amount of play in my detachable extension piece which on my unit is severe. they seem very happy to invite one out to Pretoria and check the unit out. I am going on Friday.

regards the bottoming out of the caravan nose, best investment so far for me have been air bags in the rear coils to level the back under load and for more comfort when towing

What airbag did you fit, and who supplied/installed them?
RoelfleRoux

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 am

Plod wrote:
Arnie wrote:I have an older Bosal detachable unit on my 09 GLX. it has handled some pretty heavy going so far with my Conqueror conquest over rough and corrugated roads in the Transkei. recently had it checked and all looks OK so far. Bosal are brilliant though. I called to ask about the amount of play in my detachable extension piece which on my unit is severe. they seem very happy to invite one out to Pretoria and check the unit out. I am going on Friday.

What airbag did you fit, and who supplied/installed them?
Plod,
I had a Firestone product, fitted by the Nelspruit 4x4 Megaworld outfit. It really does make a difference

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Return to “Suspension, Steering and Brakes”