Gen 4 SWB: Steering shudder and drift

th
therone

Gen 4 SWB: Steering shudder and drift

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:13 am

Hi all,

My SWB has developed quite a pronounced steering wheel shudder at about 80kmh and drifts to the left quite strongly.

I've had the alignment checked and all is good.

I put new tyres on about 600km ago and balancing was sorted then. And the shudder started recently, a day or two ago. I noticed the drift quite a bit before that but a fair walk after the tyres were put on.

When the alignment was checked, the technicians noted what they though could be diff oil on the cover/bash plate over the front wheels.

Could be related: A while back, soon after the new tyres, I engaged 4H with the front wheels turned to the right and heard a loud clack that seemed to come from the left. I have an Aussie Locker installed in the front, which I'm new to, so I thought the clack could have been related to that but it did seem louder than what I had heard before.

I'm wondering if a tie rod end could have broken or something to do with a side shaft?

(Newbie mechanic )

Also worth noting:

The shudder started the other day after I removed all the wheel nuts, applied anti seize copper grease to them and put them back on, torquing them to 115NM (manual says 105 - 125NM).

When I first felt the shudder, I pulled over and check all the wheel nuts again and the front ones had loosened a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Suspension, Steering and Brakes”

Login · Register