Ride quality on the Pajero

REAList
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 DID GLS Swb

Ride quality on the Pajero

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 pm

I’ve just spent 3 weeks in the Kgalagadi on the corrugated roads and my lwb ride was teeth rattling to say the least.
Fortunately I had the dash rattle treatment done by Kurt before I left, but it did not prevent the bolt on the right hand side of the dash from falling out :-(
My observations now:
People have been complaining about the ride quality for years!
My lwb is a 2016 model but nothing has improved from my previous 2012 swb as far as the ride quality is concerned.
People tackle the rattling dash as if it is the cause of the noises and not as a result of a suspension problem.
I say suspension problem as it must be able to cope with everything that gets thrown at it under all normal conditions as applicable to a 4x4.
My observation is that the ride quality becomes jarring at very low speeds even with a tyre pressure of 150 kpa. The road holding however, does not become bad and does not cause the Pajero to wander around on the road.
It is as if the tyres start juddering over the corrugations and
then seem to accelarate the frequency of the juddering whilst driving at a constant speed. This is also experienced by observing the juddering in the steering column (which I regard as unacceptable).
It is as if the shocks and the coils don’t get it right to control the vibrations caused by the road conditions. If the vehicle was old, and not just with 30 000 km, it would have been acceptable to say that they would need replacement.
An australian article states that this is a characteristic of a monocoque body like the Pajero which is too close to the suspension. But it also states the relationship between the shock and the coil which must control this.
My opinion is that the shock is too slow to control the up and down movement of the tyres and the coils are not up to assist with this.
What is astonishing is the lack of feedback on the internet of what gains were made when the Pajero suspensions were upgraded. And I am sure many suspensions have been upgraded by Pajero owners.
I implore the guys who did this to publish their experiences with the improvements experienced as far as rattling dash boards and the ride quality over corrugations. This will prove my view that the problems are suspension related.
I would also love to hear from people who had air cushions installed in their coils.
We need to know where compromises must be made to improve the ride quality.
My local workshop manager informed me that only one brand has been approved for installation on the Pajeros.
Personally I think that we are taken for a ride by Mitsubishi who does not seem to care.

saltydog

Re: Ride quality on the Pajero

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi

I am interested to hear your comments.
You've described them very well.
I had a very similar experience in our last Namibia trip. Particularly on the corrugations in Etosha.
I thought the 'problem' was a result of my Paj being a swb. Tyre pressure did not improve the ride, once the juddering started it would build till I had to virtually stop the vehicle and then push on slowly.

I am in the 'queue' to have my dash sorted out later in the year before our next trip but I know this will only solve the dash rattle problem not the unhappy handling of corrugations.

Thought it was simply something one had to get used to in return for good off road capabilities!
KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:40 pm

I agree. The Kgalagadi is the worst place I have ever driven. The Pajero is not a fan of the corrugations but when it comes to road handling, it does very well. I don’t think any suspension changes will make a difference, the geometry is the issue and that can’t be changed with new shocks or coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Michael
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 2.5

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:47 pm

KurtG wrote:I agree. The Kgalagadi is the worst place I have ever driven. The Pajero is not a fan of the corrugations but when it comes to road handling, it does very well. I don’t think any suspension changes will make a difference, the geometry is the issue and that can’t be changed with new shocks or coils.

Kurt - Mitsi Tech have developed a progressive coil that is supposed to improve the ride quality significantly although I don’t know of anyone personally who has them installed, so can’t testify to this?

Curly
Vehicle: 2015 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD GLS

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:11 pm

I concur with REAList 100%!!

I have done 3 trips to Kgalagadi with my older SWB and 4 with the 2015 SWB and experienced exactly the same.

The corrugations seem to get the suspension into a bobbing rhythm and the only way to stop it is to slow down till it subsides.

I have tried accelerating too and the vibration only goes away when travelling faster than the allowable speed in the park! Not good practice!! Maybe that is why the Pajero did so well in the Dakar Rally! They handle speed and vibration brilliantly!

I have another month long trip coming up in August and have at least had the dash rattle attended to, passing its initial corrugation tests successfully, with its final test being Kgalagadi!

Thanks for bringing up this topic, REAList.

I will follow it avidly.
2015 3.2 DiD GLS SWB - Acquired Oct 2015 currently on 40,000kms
2002 3.2 DiD GLS SWB - Acquired Jan 2013 on 297,000kms (sold Dec 2016)
FishEagle
Vehicle: Pajero Sport QE

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:11 pm

I have been to Kgaladi twice, in 2013 with EFS Springs and Shocks and i also was rattled to bits at low speed but smooth at too high speed for the park. Went back in 2017 with same EFS springs and new OME shocks and the drive was way more comfortable. I had OME on my 3L V6 Colt Rodeo back in the day and the drive was amazing. Will always use OME no question in future !
REAList
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2 DID GLS Swb

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Anybody with experience of these shocks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Kennekam
Vehicle: 2005 Paejero GSL LWB DiD

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 pm

This is my only real complaint about the Pajero. The ride over corrugations is jarring, especially in the Kgalagadi.

I have fitted OME coils and shocks which tightened up the handling and control, but did not do anything for the corrugations. Drove my brother's Prado with the same OME suspension and was amazed at how much smoother it was.

When I last had to fit new shocks, I could no longer get the original Nitrochargers, so I was forced to fit the Sports Nitrochargers which are even more uncomfortable. Now I am looking softer shocks. Any suggestions would be welcome.
2005 Pajero GLS LWB DiD
Geolander AT/S, FrontRunner roofrack, OME, dual-battery
Nikon D4, 500VR
Jo
JohnG

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:44 am

Many owners forget that the pajero has a monocoque chassis which makes it more rigid and hence a rougher feel on bad roads.
nielsch
Vehicle: 2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD SWB

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 am

Same problem with my 2003 SWB when we did a Southern Namibia trip a few years ago. We were accompanied by a couple in a FJ Cruiser, and after a badly corrugated section I asked them what it felt like in the FJ. The driver's response was that he could feel the corrugations but not to the point that it really bothered him. I didn't believe him so I took his vehicle back on that same corrugated section and had to admit that the FJ's ride quality was in a different class.

On our return I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins which made the ride on paved roads much better, but corrugations and bad dirt roads remained a teeth shattering experience.

I guess we either have to live with it or replace the vehicle.
My shorty is my daily driver and will remain in the family for as long as I have a say in it.
For overland trips I unfortunately had to decide to get something that can handle those roads a bit better, and no it wasn't an FJ but a 1996 80 series Land Cruiser.

On the Mitsi Tech subject. Has anyone used them, and what was your experience? I've spoken to them and the guys seem very knowledgeable.

Niel
2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5 GX

Return to “Suspension, Steering and Brakes”

Login · Register