Tyres for Pajero SWB

Duncan
Vehicle: Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD

Tyres for Pajero SWB

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:44 am

Hi all,

I have a Gen4 SWB pajero. I use it mostly for touring - tar & some gravel, very occasional off road - currently on Hankook Dynapro P265/65R17 110T.

I plan to use it for 80% tar 20% gravel...and the rare off road experience.

I don't know much about tyres...would you recommend to stay with what I have or switch ?

KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Re: Tyres for Pajero SWB

Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:36 pm

I have the Hankooks since I bought the Pajero and I am very happy with them. I have also done a lot of reading on the 4x4community forum and most of the time someone makes a positive comment about the Hankooks. So to answer your question and to give you my view I would look at the following:

1) Hankook Dynapro
2) Cooper AT3 (availability might be an issue)
3) Goodyear Wrangler (pricey but good)
4) Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Ge
Gerhard Boshoff

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:24 am

Hi.
I have done 30000 km on Pirelli Scorpions with my Mazda BT50 and I am very happy. It was classified as 90% tar / 10% off-road with a strong sidewall. I'm in road construction and sometimes drive through rough rocky terrain, but also a lot between sites. The ratio of 90/10 is therefore ideal for me.
At this point in time: You can't see any run-off. Much less road noise than any other 50/50 All terrain tyres I had. Very good road-holding when wet.
Go
Going 4x4

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi,
After cutting the standard Yokokama Geolander's 902 on a recent excursion at Marcuskraal, having had to go down to .5 bar to do grade 5 obstacles, I got hold of a set of Kumho Road Venture S/AT for a good price. The dealer actually paid me R 600 per tyre for the Geolanders, which only had 5 300 on and was part of the original equipment when I bought the shorty new in September.
Thus far the Humho's are okay, although completely different feeing as compared to the Geolanders. Going on a over landing trip mid/end January, intend leaving the black stuff (tar) at Ceres and will only join again 100 km's past Kimberley.
Johan
These things look like they can take punishment, thus lets see.
Johan
Roelf_le_Roux

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:00 pm

My last set was Khumo. I found no reason to complain.
Go
Going 4x4

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Had to replace the Kumho's with proper A/T tyres during my recent trip to Kimberley (Gravel all the way) and
from there to Secunda. Fitted General Grabbers, what a difference and so much better. At least the importers of Kumho's are refunding me for the tyres I had to replace after 2500 km's.
Ritteling
Vehicle: 2006 Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 am

Hello - I also have the Hankook Dynapro's. Very happy with them. I had to replace one brand new tyre due to a sidewall cut - but that was my own stupidity and I am just lucky the other tyres didnt go as-well.
Gerhardt Kirchner

Tiny - 2007 Prado
SOLD :cry: Die Goue Valk - 2006 Gen3 SWB 3.2DiD Automatic

KurtG
Vehicle: 2014 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm getting new grabbers today and will have a almost new hankook available if anyone wants it. Send a pm if interested, I'm in Lonehill
- Kurt
2014 Pajero SWB 3.2 GLS | EFS Suspension | Stofpad Bashplates
2008 Pajero LWB 3.2 GLS (Sold @ 243,000km)
Ritteling
Vehicle: 2006 Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD

Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:28 am

gerbek1 wrote:I'm getting new grabbers today and will have a almost new hankook available if anyone wants it. Send a pm if interested, I'm in Lonehill
PM sent
Gerhardt Kirchner

Tiny - 2007 Prado
SOLD :cry: Die Goue Valk - 2006 Gen3 SWB 3.2DiD Automatic

peterpot
Vehicle: 2009 Pajero 3.2 SWB

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:29 am

To me it is like using a tool. Get the right tool for the specific job. Multipurpose tools will probably let you down.

ie / eg - To me if you are doing mainly tar, then get a road tyre. Personally I would choose between the big names but not Wranglers. If offroad then get offroad tyres - and yes two sets would be great but not the answer for all - re cost & effort. Dual purpose tyres are not the best as they are trying to perform in two or more fairly different ways.

There are also big "trade-offs". The more aggressive the tread the noisier on tar. I bought my vehicle with Cooper AT3's and they are not excellent offroad and neither on tar. The road noise is unacceptable. This limits / effects the performance of my vehicle. Personally I would prefer a road tyre that was exceptional in wet, quiet, good mileage and yes maybe if and a big if, the once in a while I do go offroad. That trade off suits me. I prefer the confidence and safety of an emergency stop in the wet compared to a bit of excess wheelspin in sand or mud the odd time you go offroad. You must choose what best suits you.

Return to “Rims and Tyres”

Login · Register