Line when rock climbing

Got stuck? How to get unstuck. How to use your Pajero.
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Line when rock climbing

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 am

Are there any rules of thumb when going over rocky terrain about what line to take?

E. G. I've heard that you should always take a line so that you drive over the biggest rocks with a wheel, rather than around them since it lifts up the entire chassis, giving you more clearance for rocks.

Karl

4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Re: Line when rock climbing

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:38 am

I think visualization of where the 4 wheels will run, and what the car will do because of that line, is key!

experience is extremely valuable - I think....
SimonB
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2017 Nissan X-Trail

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:54 am

This is not something that can be easily described in words. You need to actually go out and do it and even better watch others do it so you get a feel for what lifts where and by how much.

The first rule of thumb is get out and plan your line especially for uphills. Get someone to guide you if possible. Discuss the line with them. I have done trails I would have considered downright impossible with an experienced guide ahead of me.

The rule of thumb you mentioned is commonly mentioned but it is not always the correct thing to do because there are too many factors at play. I know because it cost me a smashed left rear fender. Granted it was on a grade 4 trail made into a grade 5 by the pissing rain.
Simon Bloomer
4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:02 am

For a moment I thought we are now into mountaineering! :)

Missing Attachment

The high line is always the better one, but ....
  • Once the front wheels are over that rock, make sure it does not catch the sills (halfway between front and rear wheels)! I often choose a line which is half-way up a rock's side (provided it has no sharp edges)
  • As Marius said, learn the geometry of your vehicle. Learn to accurately place the wheels. Practice with bricks on the lawn. See whether you can accurately drive over them with you wheels.Place bricks on top of each other to test the clearance at different places under the vehicle.
  • Always try to straddle a donga/ditch, never put a wheel in it! Once a wheel is in a ditch, it is difficult to steer out of it, and the clearance is compromised.
  • Never forget that your vehicle touches the ground in four spots only. Low spots/areas between the wheels can be ignored, high spots/areas have to be lower than your clearance.
Spend lots of time on "mild" trails, specifically to get to know your vehicle.
Watch others (good and bad).
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
Gemaskerde Tuinvurk
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks guys.

Going on my first trip to Sani pass in August... will let you know how it goes (with pics!) :)
Karl

John293
Vehicle: 2020 Pajero LWB

Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:20 pm

No more rock climbing for me. Went rock climbing last weekend at Kungwini 4x4 near Bronkhorstspruit with family and friends.
1x Fortuner, 2x Rangers & 1 x Pajero LWB (Me) It was quite challenging at times and a lot of fun. Was it worth it ? I don't think so because my son ripped his sidewall so he is in for R2,500 or more.
V for Vendetta
Vehicle: 3.8 SWB

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:35 pm

Err, I think I'll stick to Sandton kerbs, some of those kerbs are really high and tricky, especially when you want to park right outside the front door of your favorite shop.
OBELIX123
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 3.2 DI-D GLS 2011

Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:23 pm

That sounds like a hell of a good idea
OBELIX123
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 3.2 DI-D GLS 2011

Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:29 pm

May I also mention some sub terrainian parking in the new high rise office buildings in Sandton.
You need to look at kerbs there as well because some curves are rather small but also you have to appraise the nett height in some spaces, in particular if you have a roof rack with some accessories fitted .
The hanging pipes under the ceiling are rather formidable and even if you clear them with 20 mm to spare it is an eerie feeling.

Return to “Techniques (Driving, Recovery etc)”

Login · Register