Offroading: Manual vs. Auto Tiptonic Gen3

Got stuck? How to get unstuck. How to use your Pajero.
JohanV
Vehicle: Pajero '01 - 3.2Di-D - LWB

Offroading: Manual vs. Auto Tiptonic Gen3

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am

So i have taken my PJ out a couple of times now and with the manual its 1st gear + low range and off you go on rocky mountain trails and places where extra grunt and not speed is necessary.

I have never taken the Auto PJ out on serious bush and mountain trails, at most i needed 4H with it. (Why, long story but the short of it, the AUTO belongs to my Mom)

so this weekend we will be doing some mountain trails in the Groot Marico area, with Both PJ's. We were informed that the trail rates between 3-5 also depending if and how much it have been raining.

When to use TT and when to use Normal auto box
Some advice i would like with the TT, would be some pointers regarding rock crawling, 1st gear in TT + 4L or normal D + 4L.

Down Hill what would be the best D+4L or TT 1st + 4L.

4ePajero
Vehicle: 1989 Pajero LWB

Re: Offroading: Manual vs. Auto Tiptonic Gen3

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:21 am

My Gen1 Pajero is manual.
I don't have a auto Pajero, but the Touareg is auto and very similar, I suppose.

For normal driving along the route, I would suggest D + 4H.
(The Di-D has so much torque that it will be a waste of fuel to use Low Range unless you need it).

When the going gets tough, I would suggest TT + 4L.

Summary: for me Low range and Tiptronic go together.
Gerhard Fourie
If you want to shoot somebody, make sure you aim at his head, not your own foot.
Me
Bigwill
Vehicle: 2004 Pajero 3.2 DID SWB

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:44 pm

With my DID Auto and rock climbing I use 4LL and TT selected 1st gear. That gives me all the power to slowly climb rocks and put minimal strain on the car. It is also very useful to assist with braking down hills. It is quick to select 2nd in TT if you find the speed down a hill to slow. That is what is so usefull with TT. My other tip is to keep your left foot ready to operate the brake peddle if the car suddenly pics up too much speed and you are approaching another rock or obstacle. This way the right foot does not come off the throttle, but keep the engin revs at a point where the torque converter remains engaged and the turbo remains producing power while you are controlling the speed with the left foot on the brake. Obviously when you get to the next rock release the brake and wait until it is required again. Get used to left foot braking. It is often very convenient. Think of parking with slow approaces to another car or garage wall. To move your right foot from the throttle to the brake and back again causes so much hassle to regain power again, whereas you could have kept it on tap all the time.
Willie from Jo'burg
White Gen 3 SWB Pajero 3.2 DID
4ePikanini
Affiliate Member
Vehicle: 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D GLX

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:54 pm

do not use "D" in low range. It tends to stick to 3rd gear and overworks the engine and gearbox.
JohanV
Vehicle: Pajero '01 - 3.2Di-D - LWB

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Ahh, now this the info i was looking for. ;)

These small things one learn by driving with the car, but i will not be driving the Auto, Swambo will, with my brother (Co-pilot & Spotter) and Mom (Backseat driver OD on calmeds :lol: :lol: ).

Should it require the R/D Lock, it can also be used while driving in TT 1st and 2nd? (Naturally selecting it will be done in "N")

Return to “Techniques (Driving, Recovery etc)”

Login · Register