Namib and Driving on Sand

Got stuck? How to get unstuck. How to use your Pajero.
Roelof
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2DID GLS

Namib and Driving on Sand

Tue May 22, 2012 7:44 pm

I am now going on the lon promised Namib trip.

However, by talking to a number of people I am now confused.
:?
I am driving a 3.2DID LWB GLS 2006 (the old Africa model).

Can you please advise me on the correct techiques for driving up and down the dunes.

4H or 4HLLC or something else?

Should it be with the centre difflock lock? etc

Thank you all for yoyr very valuable response

Roelof
paw_by_paw
Vehicle: 3.5 L Pajero LWB Blister Fender

Re: Namib and Driving on Sand

Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Roelof,
I am speaking under correction here. My experience is that 4HLLC will give you more torque to center lock position and what you actually need up a dune is momentum and some speed.
50/50 split is ok but I still believe you need a bit more grunt from the rear wheels to push you over. There is no harm in trying twice or more to exit a dune. You will soon enough find the correct setting. If you feel as your vehicle will stuck - retract and start again . Once you start spinning it is tickets.
I am speaking out the experience with my D4D which battled a bit in 4 HLLC in soft sand. I found 4H to be better and naturaly the correct tyre pressure. As low as possible .8 bar or even less BUT beware the sand is defective in the Namib - very soft and tricky (Not called sugar sand for nothing)
Prevent sharp turns and excessive spinning as you will spin the tyre in the rim .
Just my little and for all I know It will not be enitirely correct but I have yet to get stuck in soft sand.It is all about keeping your momentum. Defenitely not a drag race affair. Pull away slowly building up momentum and you will almost not get stuck.
Hope it all works out. Feedback please :!:
''Life Can Be Good - It Can Be Exceptional Too ' !!!
Skillie
Vehicle: Pajero 2005 3.2 DiD LWB

Tue May 22, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi,

I agree with paw_by_paw on the fact that you must experiment and you will very soon learn what accommodates with your conditions, vehicle and driving style.

IMHO 4H will never be a good option in dunes and sand. You need your center diff locked to ensure power transfered to front wheels. The more wheels have power, the lesser you chances of spinning.

In the Brakkeduine there were even some dunes where 4LLc worked better, but that is shorter more technical sand obstacles with a turn in the middle of the dune where you need power only after the turn.

As I mentioned, just my opinion, rather stick to the opening paragraph and learn to know your vehicle and what works with your driving style.

Regards,
Skillie

2005 Pajero 3200 DiD LWB A/T
2002 Pajero 3200 DiD SWB A/T (Sold)

Chris
Vehicle: Pajero GLX

Wed May 23, 2012 7:45 am

I have done the trip from Luderitz to Walvis earlier this month. You use 4HLLC and down the slip faces you use 4LLC. You don't want more power on the back wheels beacause that is when you dig in, specially on a uphill. I drive a 2010 GLX and did not even use the diff lock. Just remember to deactivate your traction control. If you need more info PM me
Chris
KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Wed May 23, 2012 8:02 am

Been there and looooooved it.

They will tell you what tire pressure to go to, but I ended up with around 0.6 to 0.8 bar. That was perfect especially in the latter part of the trip.
You will quickly learn what your Paj will do in 2H ;) 4H, 4HLC and 4LLC.
From my memory the smaller dunes, long stretches of sand 4H is good enough. Somewhat larger dunes 4HCL (you need power on the front the front wheels) and the very large dunes in 4LLC. But then, play, thats what you going for.

I only got stuck once :( when I turned to sharp and pushed my front left off the rim. That was it and stuck..... So watch the sharp turns.

The 3.2 DiD has enough Umpfff and is not scared. The nice thing on this trip is that it starts off slow and gentle (assuming you doing the Lüderitz to Walvis one) and gets bigger by the day.
The most important thing to remember is when you get to the "Langwand" one drives down one moerova steep dune to the sea. TAKE IT EASY WHEN TURNING...... You DO NOT want to push your tire of the rim there. Had a Cruiser on our trip that managed that and it ended up a rather exciting rescue mission fighting against the tide....

Go have fun... See here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=249 There is a pic called "oops", thats when my tire came off the rim...
KaiV
Vehicle: Pajero

Wed May 23, 2012 8:07 am

Remember, in 4LLC you have much more grunt. Use your "manual gear change" if you have a auto box. You will find once you start going up a dune the DiD runs out of steam very quickly if you dont hold it in gear... What we did was leave it in auto until we got to the dune, then moved the gearleaver to the left and kept in whatever gear the car got to, and as the speed decreased dropped a gear as we went up. If you leave it, she will change down, but not fast enough and you end up digging holes.

Hmmm, if that makes sense, writing this with a heavy head / flu :oops:
Chris
Vehicle: Pajero GLX

Wed May 23, 2012 12:13 pm

And remove your rear bumper yourself before it gets taken of for you. Lesson learnt almost to late by me
Chris
Skillie
Vehicle: Pajero 2005 3.2 DiD LWB

Wed May 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Chris wrote:And remove your rear bumper yourself before it gets taken of for you. Lesson learnt almost to late by me
Very valuable input! It is guaranteed you will damage you rear bumper..if standard
Skillie

2005 Pajero 3200 DiD LWB A/T
2002 Pajero 3200 DiD SWB A/T (Sold)

RoelfleRoux
Vehicle: 2008 3.8V6 LWB Pajero

Wed May 23, 2012 1:59 pm

Roelof,

I'm sure you have figured it out by: you will not battle with your Pajero at all. Sure there are better and worse ways of doing things, but if you just remain half sensible will you conquer that awsome desert in a breeze. I think your Pajero doesn't have TC and SC, but if it does, make sure you disable the SC. You should have diff lock, but I'm sure you won't even need it.

I did it a decade ago in a 3.2DiD LWB manual. I started off feeling very inadequate between what appeared to be seasoned Defender and VX Cruiser manne and my Pajero was overloaded as I had an extra couple in my car.

We went from the Kuiseb south to about Spencer Bay and then back again to Walvis. I planted the belly of the Pajero on the crest of a dune twice. Recovery requires the softest little pul from behind and you are on the road again.

After a few days the tour guide arranged for me to drive behind him, so that we can create better travel conditions for the Defenders (the two VX Cruisers were designated Defender recovery vehicles - no jokes). By the time we got to the coast at Meob, we were already a day behind schedule - thanks to the diesel Defenders, the V8 110 did consederably better.

In summary - you are going to tackle the Namib in an awsome car. Tyre pressure (or the lack there of) and momentum is king in the desert.

You will soon find that 4HLc is the answer, but 4H will also work and 4LLc will be too slow. You are welcome to experiment - for your own experience and future reference, but in the end stick it in 4HLc and forget about the small lever.

Lucky you,
Roelf
Roelof
Vehicle: Pajero 3.2DID GLS

Wed May 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Thank you guys for the really awesome replies.I think the advice around 'experimenting" is extremely helpful.

Now to get all the latest stuff sorted out.....only 5 weeks then we are in the dunes.....

Return to “Techniques (Driving, Recovery etc)”

Login · Register

Login  •  Register