Auto driving technique

Got stuck? How to get unstuck. How to use your Pajero.
Cp
CptPie

Auto driving technique

Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:27 am

I have a Gen3 SWB 3.2 DID Auto and would like some driving technique advise please. I took the car on her first trip to Lesotho a week ago.
Driving up and down some steep mountain passes I notices that since it’s an auto, I have to keep my foot on the brake all the time. This will obviously cause my breaks to wear quickly so I eventually used the tiptronic to force the car to stay in 2 or 3rd.
Now is this the correct way to do it? Will I damage the gear box using this technique?

While I’m on the subject, I also thought about other driving situations like driving thought mud. Is it ok to but the car in 2nd and then go or should I just trust the auto box to do it for me.

jo
jotto

Re: Auto driving technique

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:09 am

Use that trip-tronic gearbox, Bar the thing in 1st if you have to, especially when you want to "crawl" along, either up or down hill. Engage Sport mode and select the gear you want with the stick!
Da
Davidvan

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:17 am

Hi,

Lesotho is quite unique with all it's passes, and most vehicles use gears and brakes, except the kamakaze taxis.... They just use gears and guts. I use tiptronic side of the gearbox under the following conditions:

When towing and want to prevent gear changes or have more control
When in thick sand, mud and obstacles that need full control, can't be changing gears at the wrong time.
On steep mountain passes where required
Steep descents
Steep ascents
In dunes

Hope that helps

David
an
andrew.ashton

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 am

Hi @CptPie,

To build on what @DavidVan has said - I have a LWB Di-D Auto and found that going from Sani to Sehlabathebe there were some steep downhills with precipitous drops to the side where I selected lowrange and then used Tiptronic in 2nd gear with occasional gentle application of brakes.

If you want to get some confidence in how well low range and engine compression work on the auto (or even manual) then I can recommend doing a 4wd course where they have a long steep gradient (I did at Gerotek) and just experience it.
Cp
CptPie

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks guys. I wasn’t sure if the gearbox was made for it. It defiantly helped forcing a gear downhill. Glad I was on the right track :)

As for the training, I fully agree with you. I have been looking for training in KZN without much luck. The only training scheduled is for the end of this month through drive out, but I’m still waiting for them to confirm if the event will take place.
jk
jkak

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:35 pm

HI this is my firs post since I got my new Pajero glx about six months ago

Nearly at 10 000 km

Anyway i did Sani the other day and found the problem with going downhill to fast

Used to my manual Patrol in L R absolute slow

Also waiting for training!!!! They seem slack in kazn I was booked but it was cancelled at last moment and have heard nothing

Met a guy with a paj at Hirsh. he is on his second pajero each 5 years so 10 in total

he could not stop raving about it

told me to use 4x4 most of the time on the freeways and not to listen to stories about tyre wear

I must say it sorted out loose feeling on the freeway

he tells me that the training is a must

He told me to remember that the pajero 4x4 is manged by ??? comp

Anyway if you want it to go slow downhill then one has to push the brakes a few times and the manage system will realise you want to go real slow

this is in low range 4x4. locked in 1st which i found to fast

I have yet top try it but can anyone tell me whether this sounds right?
Ro
RoelfleRoux

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:59 am

Anyway if you want it to go slow downhill then one has to push the brakes a few times and the manage system will realise you want to go real slow
I think there is a small communication gap here. This statement is true when you are driving in "D" and dropping down a steep decline. When you are already in "manual" 4LLc and selected 1st gear, there is only the brake pedal to slow you down. The Pajero is equipped to handle brake application on those steep slippery drops.
jk
jkak

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:52 pm

:D thanks Roelfie,

only saw your post now?

In Canada at the moment

I found out what I was doing wrong after going to the 4x4 community forum annual bash. I suspect I never had the pajero in 4 low at the time and only in d 4x4. I found out that I have to position in neutral first otherwise it does not engage low range eg D to N and then low range.

Does this sound right? I suspect I went down Sani Pass in Drive 4x4

Do you think the above is correct?

I am far from my car and cant remember the low range settings on the gear shift anymore. Must be getting old and car to new
an
andrew.ashton

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:07 pm

jkak wrote: I found out what I was doing wrong after going to the 4x4 community forum annual bash. I suspect I never had the pajero in 4 low at the time and only in d 4x4. I found out that I have to position in neutral first otherwise it does not engage low range eg D to N and then low range.

Does this sound right? I suspect I went down Sani Pass in Drive 4x4
I am almost certain you were not in low range. It is almost impossible to go too fast in low range 1st unless you are are sliding (i.e. wheels locked) down a mud bank or the side of a sand dune.

The centre diff light (orange) must be on, not flashing. To get into that state: stop. select neutral. move 4x4 selector to LLC (low low, centre diff lock). You may hear a small klunk. Check you have 4 green lights and 2 orange lights (none flashing). Sometimes you may have to move forward (with steering straight ahead) a bit to get centre light off flashing. Move right hand selector from N to Drive.

Now you are good to go.

Return to “Techniques (Driving, Recovery etc)”

Login · Register