Jacks

Got stuck? How to get unstuck. How to use your Pajero.
Ri
Richard

Jacks

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:04 pm

good evening

hope you are all well, please could i ask for some advise, i would like to know what the pros and cons are with a highlift jack and a airbag jack that conects to the exhaust system, i do alot of soft sand driving and want to get the best type of jack for the job.

thanks
Regards
Richard

qo
qoda

Re: Jacks

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:27 am

Personally my preference for recovery out of the soft stuff is a airjack (enough lift to get the recovery tracks under the wheels). Although a a highlift jack is more versatile, without a large base plate it just sinks into the sand.

I always have both at hand though.
Bigwill
Vehicle: 2004 Pajero 3.2 DID SWB

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 am

Richard, a major consideration before you can consider a highlift jack is obviously the jacking points on the car. A standard Pajero Gen 3 does not allow the fitment of such anchorage points without major modifications to the front and rear bumpers. We are talking about changing the bumpers for steel ones. Whereas an airlift bag can be used on the car as is.
Willie from Jo'burg
White Gen 3 SWB Pajero 3.2 DID
Ri
Richard

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Good afternoon

thank you guys for the information, i also just want to ask if the towbar is strong enough to mount rear jack points to, i am still looking at the front and what type of plan can be made there, i have seen some rock sliders with the jack points but don't really trust that.

thanks again for the advise it is really appreciated
regards
Richard
an
andrew.ashton

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Richard wrote: i would like to know what the pros and cons are with a highlift jack and a airbag jack that connects to the exhaust system, i do alot of soft sand driving and want to get the best type of jack for the job.
Hi Richard, I have both. I first bought an airjack. I found that it doesn't work so well in mud - it's like trying to grab a bar of soap - just slips out as it expands. It also takes up a lot of packing space inside the vehicle - bulky and quite heavy.

With a decent welding job and towbar you should be OK to put lift points on your towbar (and on proper rocksliders). Many forum members have done so.

There is also at least one member who has fitted lift points behind the standard OEM front bumper on a Gen3 - search the forum and you should find a picture.
Ri
Richard

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi Andrew

thank you, i am sure i have seen the picture of the high lift points behind the front bumper and this did not look to bad, thr rear ones on the towbar i have no problem with fitting them there

thanks again
Regards
Richard

Return to “Techniques (Driving, Recovery etc)”

Login · Register